This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Work Done: Going Gluten Free?

MissyShelle

MissyShelle Rookie

As I stated in a previous post, I had my blood work done Wednesday this past week. I discussed with the doctor about going ahead and going gluten free. She was supportive of it, regardless of my results due to my symptoms. But I also told her I am worried about doing it in case they do an endoscopy at the same time as my colonscopy and that being gluten-free can skew the results. 

But then I realized that some say on the forums that the endoscopy is to see if damage has been done due to gluten. So if I have been heavy gluten and go off it and only off for like 2-3 weeks, would that skew my endoscopy, if they do one? 

I'm miserable and just want relief. My rash is back (never fully went away) and even this morning, I had some whole wheat bread, touched my face and now my face and neck are itching. And, as is typical from what I have read, the rashes tend to show up in the same spots. For me, that is true. And let's not discuss the bloating, gas, D and overall feeling of Blah! 

I don't know if my logic is off or not. I guess I just figure, if the Celiac panel comes back positive, I go gluten free, have the endoscopy, would being gluten free for a week or two make that much of a difference in biopsies? 

Thank you all. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

It is really hard to say for sure, but I doubt two weeks will make a big difference. The antibodies remain in the bloodstream for a while and continue to do damage. But once you go gluten-free you stop making new antibodies. As the level declines, the healing process begins.

How long the healing process takes depends on many things, one of which is the amount of damage that exists. And there is really no way to know that without the endoscopy.

I hope that is of some help to you.

MissyShelle Rookie

It was, thank you. I know, in the past, once I see my G.I. doc, I'm usually scheduled for the colonscopy within a week due to my history, so I don't think 2 weeks gluten free will mess up anything if they do the endoscopy. I'm going to start Monday and see how I feel from that point on. 

thank you. 

Smylinacha Apprentice

Good luck w/ your endo and colonoscopy - I have my endo next Friday.  Years ago I had an endo and was dx'd with IBS.  Got some meds and felt better and then last year BAM - all the symptoms are back.  About your rash - same thing with me.  It doesn't cover my whole body but when I'm "glutened" and feeling crummy I get the same rashes - one on my chest, a patch on my neck and two small ones on my face.  I put a little benedryl gel on and it clears up w/in a half hour but will pop out again later and they are itchy!

Bloating and gas is what I'll be in for as I glutened up again :(

MissyShelle Rookie

Smylinacha, For me, the rash is my scalp (so uncomfortable, so started a new shampoo, not helping!), little on face, neck, chest, back and arms. Exact same places every single time. That was one thing that also made my doctor take notice. 

I have a man I've been dating but since we've started, I've had these symptoms so bad. I joke with him that when I am off gluten and dont' have my budda belly and itchy rash, he may not recognize me. HA! Luckily, he's cool and still thinks I'm pretty but seriously, between the bloating, rash and dark, dark circles under my eyes, I don't feel at my prime. I mean, I'm not wanting to do the gluten-free for vanity, but feeling bad and then looking bad doesn't help at all. 

Smylinacha Apprentice

Awww - lucky you have such a nice guy!  My husband is very understanding also.  Yes, I forgot to mention the dark circles under my eyes that I would cake w/ makeup but they are pretty much gone now.  I feel for you - hope your itching calms down!  Well tonight I start off my glutening with an extremely strong microbrew beer!  Cheers!  If I'm gonna get sick, might as well do it up!

SeekingSarah Apprentice

My guy teased me about my "herp" bump on my lip...I know sounds not nice...but he knew it wasn't as he never "caught" anything...I had even brought that up to my doctor, what's going on with this??? constant one spot on my lip one area on my forehead same spots at back of neck when they do flare, and I am in midst of major flare no clue as to why or what just knew it was a major pain so when I hear Jennifer Esposito mention her scalp felt like it was on fire when she had celiac I was like WHAT? And started researching more...first I checked shampoo although it's been the same so recent flare wouldn't account for that....but then the IBS dx, weight gain or inability to lose, etc etc etc. Besides the lip issue though...the gas....lol...oh poor guy he calls it nuclear warfare.  :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MissyShelle Rookie

I so know what you mean. The mouth sores bothered me, too, but luckily, aren't contagious. If I get the blister on my lips, they go away fast and I'm sure no one notices. At, least no one has said anything.

EmiPark210 Contributor

I just went in to see the GI today and have been almost 3 weeks totally gluten free. He wanted to do the endoscopy and said if my reaction to gluten every day that just a little every other day or so would help ensure that we get the positive that I know is there. Talk to your doc about your reaction and maybe if it's bad enough, you could just stop asking about cross contamination when eating and just let things be without ingesting a full gluten food. That's the route I'm taking to ease back onto it. Like tonight, I'm not planning on eating full gluten but I made my boyfriend a gluten pizza and myself a gluten free pizza and didn't worry about cross contamination as I was topping them (it made me super aware of every time it happened) but then I'm going to ease up to a slice of bread or dining hall cookie as I get closer to my endoscopy. 

MissyShelle Rookie

That's a good idea, thank you. I'll do it that way as well. I will ask my dr. about it Monday when she calls to see if I should be doing anything else. But I think I'll just stick to the smallest amount I can until the endoscopy, if they do it after I get my blood results. 

Archived