7 replies to this topic

#1 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

So I have almost bought these chips a few times in the store but they aren't labeled gluten free so I never did. Every time I was in the store and saw them it was in the evening and far too late to call customer service. Finally today my husband texted me and asked if I could have them. Their website didn't say anything about them being gluten free but they have no yeast or soy so I called. Apparently they are not considered gluten free because either of the manufacturing process or because the company could not source an ingredient, the rep couldn't say which because she didn't have access to that sort of information. 

In the end though, this is the same company that makes Trix. Trix are "not considered gluten free" but don't carry the same "may contain traces of" warning may GM cereals do. I eat it with no ill effects, it has no gluten containing ingredients. It falls under the same category by the company as the chips do. 

Has anyone else tried these chips? I'm not generally reckless, and I understand it is risky, but so are my bedtime Trix. (Which have never caused me harm, nor have Kix.) I'm quite tempted, but am curious to know if anyone else has tried them and been bitten or been fine. Or if I would be our first guinea pig. 

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Sounds like the company doesn't want to say gluten-free because it doesn't test for it. Many companies are doing that these days.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

It is that she couldn't confirm if it was a manufacturing or sourcing thing that is nagging at me. Stupid hangups. I'm sure I'll eventually just eat a bag and see what happens. I mean, I eat Trix. They did tell me that everything from their company that they will say is gluten free is labeled gluten free. Exasperating. A year ago I was SO PARANOID about everything, and now I am mostly whole foods or at least real foods but I can't live in a freakin' bubble or in fear my whole life of everything that crosses my path.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Is this where I am supposed to suggest baked sweet potato homefries for supper ?  I don't want contribute to a possible migraine !  I ate through several bags of corn chips last Nov/Dec after years of abstaining, and thought I had a keeper, until the rash showed up.  And it became inflamed right along a critical underwear line.  And it was so bad I almost went to the doctor until I remembered that tea tree oil kills everything.   :ph34r:  :blink:  :lol:  But I had to stop eating the chips.  And they were so good.  I think I might try to grow popcorn this year. 

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Nah, my migraines are only from tyramine! Sweet potato fries aren't the same as chips. I mean, I could make them but I have never managed crispy ones. I just want potato chips made out of sweet potatoes, it sounds like such a brilliant idea. :( Mostly I was hoping someone had previously tried them.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Isn't there some sort of nifty little chip holder cook thing that one puts in the microwave, and ends up with chips ?  You should search "microwave potato chip maker"  then see if you already have something you could fake this with, I think you just slice the potato thinly and lay it out on a friendly, non stick surface and zap it a lot. 

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

These are yummy

http://www.terrachip...ips/72822901431

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I understand that companies who don't test won't make a gluten-free claim. I understand why they don't test--the market is competitive, and the cost of the testing would increase the price for everybody, not just the 1 per cent or so who actually care.

So I eat products from a number of companies, including General Mills, but also Kraft, Unilever, ConAgra and Nestle (among others), who have a policy that they will clearly disclose on the label any known gluten content.

The world is a shared facility. I have no way of knowing if the mushroom I am buying in the produce department was touched by another customer who just ate from the salad bar and had a piece of bread.

There is always a risk of contamination, however small. I got used to it long ago.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: