This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Thing About Going Back On Gluten...

EmiPark210

EmiPark210 Contributor

...finishing the Girl Scout cookies my mom sent me 2 days before my blood work came back positive, not worrying about cross contamination when I'm eating somewhere besides my own kitchen (as a college student that happens a lot), dining hall cookies, being able to eat with my friends on campus, orange chicken, not stressing about "I can't eat that," not checking all the ingredients on anything I'll finish in 4 weeks, not having to buy more expensive oats.

Worst thing.... gluten reactions! 

I'm trying to stay positive as I start back on gluten during the most stressful three-four weeks of my semester for my endoscopy. I've got 4 tests next week, a dance performance that I'm in charge of the publicity for, a term paper, determining my summer plans, seeing if my boyfriend (my main supporter) is transferring. Yes, a lot of first world problems but that's my life. 

The plan is to maintain a positive attitude, keep track of how I'm feeling through the whole process by tracking food and journalling, eating tons of probiotics and protein (seemed to help with gluten reactions before diagnosis), maintaining exercise, and just living my life as best I can with poisoning myself. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

...finishing the Girl Scout cookies my mom sent me 2 days before my blood work came back positive, not worrying about cross contamination when I'm eating somewhere besides my own kitchen (as a college student that happens a lot), dining hall cookies, being able to eat with my friends on campus, orange chicken, not stressing about "I can't eat that," not checking all the ingredients on anything I'll finish in 4 weeks, not having to buy more expensive oats.

Worst thing.... gluten reactions! 

I'm trying to stay positive as I start back on gluten during the most stressful three-four weeks of my semester for my endoscopy. I've got 4 tests next week, a dance performance that I'm in charge of the publicity for, a term paper, determining my summer plans, seeing if my boyfriend (my main supporter) is transferring. Yes, a lot of first world problems but that's my life. 

The plan is to maintain a positive attitude, keep track of how I'm feeling through the whole process by tracking food and journalling, eating tons of probiotics and protein (seemed to help with gluten reactions before diagnosis), maintaining exercise, and just living my life as best I can with poisoning myself. 

There would be no way i could handle that. I still don't know how i passed that one semester when i was sick. Luckily, I have my own kitchen. But sometimes i wish I could grab that quick meal and not have to worry about CC. I do get apples from there though... and sometimes milk.... But that's it.

Smylinacha Apprentice

Hang in there....started back on gluten tonight for an upcoming endo. Had my old favorite dark micro brew and gluten-full chocolate chip cookies are in the oven...yum! The way I see it, might as well do it up!

EmiPark210 Contributor

There would be no way i could handle that. I still don't know how i passed that one semester when i was sick. Luckily, I have my own kitchen. But sometimes i wish I could grab that quick meal and not have to worry about CC. I do get apples from there though... and sometimes milk.... But that's it.

I'm not looking forward to it in the least, but I'm a firm believer in the effects of a positive attitude. My dining hall has actually been great to the point where they started stocking gluten free pastas for me and will start a whole new dish just for me; I'm the only one who ever asks for gluten-free. But if this starts hurting my grades I'm going to call the doc and say "I can't do this anymore" and hope for the best on the endo. 

Hang in there....started back on gluten tonight for an upcoming endo. Had my old favorite dark micro brew and gluten-full chocolate chip cookies are in the oven...yum! The way I see it, might as well do it up!

Haha I'm not diving into it quite so eagerly but I hope you enjoy! When is your endo? Cause it seems like we're going through this together :P

Smylinacha Apprentice

My endo is Friday. She said a week of glutening should be good and to eat a good amount every day. I am happy now cuz I just realized how much I missed my Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale and the cookies just came out of the oven and I will easily eat six of them. Only my first day but I am sure I will be crabby soon. I love this forum....I don't feel alone anymore. Let us know how you make out.:-)

SeekingSarah Apprentice

Ahaaha I'm finishing up my Girl Scout cookies too!

shadowicewolf Proficient

My endo is Friday. She said a week of glutening should be good and to eat a good amount every day. I am happy now cuz I just realized how much I missed my Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale and the cookies just came out of the oven and I will easily eat six of them. Only my first day but I am sure I will be crabby soon. I love this forum....I don't feel alone anymore. Let us know how you make out.:-)

How long were you gluten free before? I was off of it for 4 weeks before my endo and it ended up as a negative.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smylinacha Apprentice

About 2 months or so. They are also testing for h-pylori. They can't figure out how I keep losing weight. I don't look sick, in fact all my friends say I look better but the weight loss is scaring me. Wish I could put some weight on. Tried everything but can't.

Archived