7 replies to this topic

#1 corden

corden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Would like to know if anyone has a white bread recipe that taste like real bread that my child is use to , i have tried all brands and she doesnt like any of them .thanks 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Which brands? Kinnikinick makes a white bread that folks here seem to like. I think it is more like the packaged white bread in stores. I prefer Udi's multi-grain because it is more like a crusty french bread.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

You won't find anything that is exactly the same. Similar, certainly. But the same? Nope.

#4 gringa_lg

gringa_lg

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

http://glutenfreeona...ten-free-bread/ <-- it sucks she doesn't have the recipe on her website but maybe you can go to your library and get it?

http://readingyourli...recipe-and.html <-- heard this was pretty good....

I haven't tried either one but I have been looking into making breads and thought those might help you!  :)

#5 corden

corden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Which brands? Kinnikinick makes a white bread that folks here seem to like. I think it is more like the packaged white bread in stores. I prefer Udi's multi-grain because it is more like a crusty french bread.

i have tried all of them , she didnt like udi at all 

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

I am afraid that unless you yourself can bake something better, your daughter is going to be disappointed.  It would probably be better to switch her to something completely different, like rice wraps, crackers, corn tortillas, and wait a while before retrying gluten free bread.  Give her a chance to forget what gluten bread tastes like.  :)  She is going to have to learn that it is either that or no bread at all for her, sooner or later.  And when you reintroduce it, do so in a different way from what she is normally used to eating bread, i.e., grilled cheese or like things, so that it is a new experience, not an imitation of a prior experience.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 corden

corden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I am afraid that unless you yourself can bake something better, your daughter is going to be disappointed.  It would probably be better to switch her to something completely different, like rice wraps, crackers, corn tortillas, and wait a while before retrying gluten free bread.  Give her a chance to forget what gluten bread tastes like.  :)  She is going to have to learn that it is either that or no bread at all for her, sooner or later.  And when you reintroduce it, do so in a different way from what she is normally used to eating bread, i.e., grilled cheese or like things, so that it is a new experience, not an imitation of a prior experience.

thank you , i am finding that is what has to be done, i wish i could figure out a bread recipe 

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

thank you , i am finding that is what has to be done, i wish i could figure out a bread recipe 

Here is a recipe you could try.  (I originally found this recipe on a forum without attribution, so I am sorry, I have to pass it on this way :( with apologies to the author)

FRENCH BREAD

ingredients

* 2 cups rice flour (white)
    * 1 cup tapioca flour
    * 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
    * 2 tablespoons sugar
    * 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    * 2 tablespoons fast rise yeast
    * 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    * 3 egg whites, beaten slightly
    * 1 teaspoon vinegar
    * melted butter, for brushing (optional)

Directions

1.      In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.
   2.      In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.
   3.      Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.
   4.      Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.
   5.      To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.
   6.      Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.
   7.      Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.
   8.      Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
   9.      Remove from pan to cool.

This recipe also works just fine in a regular loaf pan lined as per cookie sheets.  If you put it in the smaller size bread pan it will come up as a higher loaf, but do not expect Mt. Everest :lol:  You will probably have to bake it a tad longer.  It has a nice, soft, squishy texture which may appeal to your daughter.  I store it in a brown paper sack inside a plastic bag and have kept it reasonably fresh for 4-5 days out of the refrigerator.  The paper absorbs the moisture which prevents molding.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009