2 replies to this topic

#1 theWiers

theWiers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I am a year and a half post diagnosis and am training for a 10k.  I used to race a lot before my diagnosis but that all went out the window when I could barely go 1/2 a mile without almost fainting.  I've notice that it takes me much longer to digest food and not feel full while running since my diagnosis.  I need to wait at least two hours after eating before I can comfortably run a longer distance.  Does anyone have suggestions for what to eat pre-race?  I thought about a smoothie but am mildly dairy sensitive and am not sure this is the best idea.  

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Assaf

Assaf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

If you're talking about the time immediately before a race (as opposed to carbo loading days prior) then about an hour or two before the race something like a slice of bread, an energy bar or pretzels (gluten-free naturally). If you’re really serious about it you can have an energy gel about 15 minutes before the race on top of that. I find a 10K too short to justify having another gel during the race itself, Gatorade and water are sufficient.

I try and avoid fats right before running, so for instance the peanut and chocolate flavored energy gels don’t sit well with me, but you need to experiment and find your own routine.

I’d experiment with these items during your usual workouts, testing how you feel with different combinations and pre-workout timing. Don’t eat or do something on a race day that you haven’t had before, it’s much easier to have a bad surprise than a good one.

#3 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

I have a really sensitive stomach too, and I almost can't work out other than first thing in the morning.

Before a long run on the weekend, I'll have a spoon of peanut butter, and that's plenty for me (7-10 mile runs), though sometimes I don't eat at all before a long run (and never before a first-thing-in-the-morning short run). If I am going to work out after eating, I have to wait a long time and be very careful about what I eat - nothing spicy, salty, too sweet... pretty much just veggies and carbs and protein, as plain as they can be, but also not anything likely to make me gassy (veggies, beans, dairy).

For smoothies, I never use dairy! Almond milk, frozen fruit (just almond milk and a frozen banana blends up like a milkshake!), and sometimes I add chia seeds, baby spinach (start with just a little, add more each time - I actually like the taste it adds now, just don't mind the color!), and sometimes a veggie-based protein powder.

I actually skipped my morning run today because my stomach is still upset from nachos I ate last night. I wanted to treat myself, and didn't think the repurcussions would last so long... lesson learned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: