Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Just Diagnosed....not Really Sure What To Do Now.

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I am hoping that this week will be a little better! I go to the doctors on Tuesday so I am hoping he can give me a little more knowledge than just what I am getting off the internet. But something I am wondering is if on the label if it does not list wheat, barley, rye etc and it also does not say it may have had cross contamination does that mean that it is gluten free even though it does not say it anywhere on the package?

Most experience here sees not too much guidence from the medical community after a diagnosis. You're kinda on your own. But so glad you landed here. :)

Initially, begin your diet by simple foods.  Meats, fish, fresh veggies, rice, potatoes and fresh veggies.  Limit dairy to a minimum or eliminate it for six to nine weeks, then try it again. (It can create the same symptoms as gluten initially).  Season simple.  This allows you body to heal a bit, before you re-introduce other foods.

Do this for a month or so and then there is no reason to worry about label reading, because you are eating naturally.  And you can use this time to study labels and what they mean.

Baby steps, one by one. ( it kinda fends of the OMG moments  :D )   And Welcome!

(I respond slowly, two other post preceeded my comments - all good advise)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Dr. Google....LOL