7 replies to this topic

#1 gringa_lg

gringa_lg

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a bread crumb substitute? In my "normal" baking/cooking I use bread crumbs a lot --- i.e.: black bean burgers, parmesan tilapia, meatballs, etc. Thanks for any input!  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mbrookes

mbrookes

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I throw a few slices of bread (any kind you like; I use Udi's) in a food processor and grind it to the size crumbs I want. If you want dry bread crumbs, put the sliced bread in a slow oven (about 250) and bake until dried out all the way through and lightly browned. This is how I use up the end pieces from a loaf. 

#3 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

I buy gluten-free bread crumbs.  Check the gluten-free section of your grocery.  I don't know if this would help you. . . an Asian restaurant near me used corn starch which creates a nice crispy texture on their dishes with chicken.  Light and without all the dough, you can taste the chicken!

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#4 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a bread crumb substitute? In my "normal" baking/cooking I use bread crumbs a lot --- i.e.: black bean burgers, parmesan tilapia, meatballs, etc. Thanks for any input!  :)

Gluten free rice chex cereal ground in a blender also works out well. I toast gluten free bread slices and grind them up to use at a later date...sometimes I add some cornmeal to the blend. Gluten free panko type bread crumbs ($$$)by Kinnikinick also work out well, but I discovered the crumbs were not as fine as I would like, so I tossed them into the blender and ground to a finer blend. For a small amount, a coffee grinder can be used.

#5 gringa_lg

gringa_lg

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

thank you! has anyone tried ground flaxseed? i would use the bread in the processor but i havent purchased any bread yet (we just went gluten free this week and i cant justify almost $6 for a loaf with the way my husband inhales it!). i will have to check the pre made bread crumbs though. i use them cooking a lot so that would be the best way for me. ive heard the cornstarch for fries too......help them crisp up better  :)

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I buy a loaf of gluten free bread and cut most of the bread into cubes and season well and toast in the oven for croutons.  I keep those frozen and use as needed.  The rest of the loaf, I toast lightly and submit them to crumbs :rolleyes: .

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

-Cereal 

-Rice crackers (I do two regular rice plus one Mary's Gone Crackers Original)

-Tortilla chips

-Potato chips

These are the standbys here. I take all the crumbs/dregs from the bottom of chip/cracker bags and throw them into a big bag in the freezer. When it's full I run it all through the processor too.

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

I collect the heels from my udi/Rudi's loaves. Toast and or let sit out a while then grind them up and stick in a bag in the freezer. I just use them as needed.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: