29 replies to this topic

#1 phillysmom

phillysmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

well, we are one week and one day into this crazy gluten-free journey! (my 12 year old son, philip, was just diagnosised last friday).......he's SUPER picky eater (he has down syndrome.....have worked in  therapy since age 2 on trying to get him to eat new foods).....he eats about 6 different foods.......anyway, pizza is his main staple food (well, at least it was a week ago).......we had a special olympics basketball tournament today and i got him a dominos pizza!.....he of course inhaled it like it was mana from God (lol!)........i have read many negative things about this pizza (cross contamination)........was i a horrible mom for giving this to him today?  and does anyone know anything about "cookie crisp" cereal??  (another one of the big 6 that philly will eat).......now the label doesn't have any wheat products, but at the bottom it says "may contain wheat products".......should this be a no-no, too???.................my head is spinning at all of this!.......i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief........i pray that this gets easier......

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Welcome! It does get easier.

i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief

I will start by responding to that one piece. Vinegar is gluten-free, except for malt vinegar (which is always labeled as that: malt vinegar). All other forms of vinegar are safe.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

well, we are one week and one day into this crazy gluten-free journey! (my 12 year old son, philip, was just diagnosised last friday).......he's SUPER picky eater (he has down syndrome.....have worked in  therapy since age 2 on trying to get him to eat new foods).....he eats about 6 different foods.......anyway, pizza is his main staple food (well, at least it was a week ago).......we had a special olympics basketball tournament today and i got him a dominos pizza!.....he of course inhaled it like it was mana from God (lol!)........i have read many negative things about this pizza (cross contamination)........was i a horrible mom for giving this to him today?  and does anyone know anything about "cookie crisp" cereal??  (another one of the big 6 that philly will eat).......now the label doesn't have any wheat products, but at the bottom it says "may contain wheat products".......should this be a no-no, too???.................my head is spinning at all of this!.......i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief........i pray that this gets easier......

You can always contact the company if you have any questions about any of their products.

However, with that disclaimer, I wouldn't eat it.

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Here is a website that may be of help in finding places to treat your son to.  There are many places that cater to pizza lovers but personally, Dominio's is not one of them.  Cross contamination is a huge problem there.  I would also recommend limiting his intake of food not made at home.  He won't heal if he goes out to eat too much but you can certainly treat him every now and again.  Also, pizza dough can be made at home and then he can enjoy it without taking a hit.

I am not sure about the cereal but there are good gluten-free cereals he may like. EnviroKidz is a brand that has cereal for kids......Captain Crunch type cereal with peanut butter flavor and I think they do a Rice Krispie type also.  There are many so I'm sure you'll find one he likes.

http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/  This site lists by state restaurants and cafe's, etc. where gluten-free food is served or accommodated for.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Domino's has a disclaimer on their own site saying that celiacs shouldn't eat their pizza. I wouldn't eat it and I certainly wouldn't feed it to a child.

This will get easier, it just takes time. You'll either be able to learn to make pizza at home from scratch (which is what most people around here do from what I see) or you can buy something like crusts from Venice Bakery (have to buy online, this is what I do) and top the pizzas at home. This will  prevent possible contamination and keep your son healthy in terms of the gluten free side. I know that kids, especially picky eaters are difficult and that his health problems pose an additional difficulty but maybe try checking out websites for how to sneak veggies into foods for toddlers and picky kids. You will have to get his food choices branched out if you want a healthy son.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

Dominos gluten-free pizza is made on the same screens as the gluten-filled pizza. They won't even clean it to make a "gluten free" pizza. Also, when they add toppings, they touch gluten, and then touch the toppings. So most of the toppings are cross contaminated as well (at least here where I live- I have called & asked about it). I wouldn't get that pizza for sure!

-Gluten free (and migraine free!) since 2.28.2013
-"probable Celiac" May 2013, not willing to do testing
-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

#7 Estella

Estella

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Eating out takes some finesse & often is best to take something along if possible. Realize your son has definite likes & this is going to be part of your challenge. I realize he's likely honed in to various things due to texture, taste, temperature & other sensory "cues" that are comfortable for him. However, you want to make pizza at home for your son, check out Senza brand as it's free of many of the major allergens & produced in a dedicated facility: http://www.senzaglutine-glutenfree.com .  Senza as well as Conte's (http://www.contespas...m/specialty.htm) also has frozen raviolis available. You can e-mail either & they are kind as well as helpful with any questions you might have.  Both Senza & Conte's also sell in a few retail stores (check with co. for possible retailers in your area).  You also can shop with Senza online with free shipping.  Bob's Red Mill or Pamela's brands have pizza mixes & if you go to www.vitacost.com you can check out some of the major gluten-free company products. You can check out the ingredient lists as well as read reviews of the products that might help you get started.  I have no interest in any of these companies or products... it's just my "go to" ideas I've developed for myself. ;) Hope this helps in some small way. 

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hey philly'smom!

It seems overwhelming at first, but it gets easier, I promise.

I know some celiacs eat the gluten-free Chex cereals: chocolate, cinnamon, etc.

May I suggest the Newbie 101 thread in the Coping section to get you started?

And a good book for you to read is Real Life with Celiac Disease by Melinda Dennis and David Leffler 

It has sections about the disease, the diet, helping your celiac child, etc.

http://glutenfreehel...-m-s-r-d-l-d-n/

Find Me Gluten Free is also a website that lists restaurants that others have tried. 

Perhaps his tastes will expand as he starts to heal his gut and feels better. 

Best wishes to you and Philip!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

You can gluten-free pizza at Z-Pizza also.  Chex cereals are gluten-free and so are Pebbles.  I think Rice Krispies are gluten-free now too.  They should be marked gluten-free on the box.  Gorilla Munch is another gluten-free cereal.  And there are others too.  Check the  local health food or organic grocers gluten-free section.

Most of the food he eats should be at home and cooked there, not processed foods though.  You get a lot of fillers, food colorings, preservatives and stuff with your food when you buy processed foods.  Those may not be good for him, or you.

A simple whole foods diet is the best for starting out gluten-free.  And it is the easiest way to know what is in the food you are eating.  Some celiacs develop additional food intolerances beyond wheat, rye, and barley.  Oats are a known reactor for 10% or so.  They can cause the same auto-immune response.  Other foods that people react to are soy, dairy, corn, nightshades, eggs etc.  Cutting out soy would be a good idea IMHO.  An elimination diet is a good way to find out if a food is causing a problem.  GFCFSF is a pretty well known diet for autisim.  It may help him toot, it's hard to tell without trying.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I don't know where you guys live but in the UK Domino's is very coeliac-aware! They use separate screens for the pizzas, which are kept sealed and away from the other pizzas. They don't use any wheat flour on premesis, use separate sauces and utensils and have one dedicated staff member to each pizza.
Then again, I've only had one domino's pizza since going gluten-free and did get quite a bad stomach-ache...although I think that may have been the cheese :P

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

In the US, Dominos came out and said that the gluten-free pizza is not suitable for Celiacs.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I think Rice Krispies are gluten-free now too.  They should be marked gluten-free on the box.

There are two versions. The original Rice Krispies still have gluten. The new gluten-free version is made from brown rice and is clearly marked "gluten-free."
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Udi's makes a frozen gluten-free pizza crust too.

Philly'sMom, why don't you list his six foods for us so we can help you find substitutes for all of them?

I'm sure you have him on a multi-vitamin, but if not, he will need one. And you need to check to make sure that, and all other medications he might take are gluten-free.

For the pizza, maybe you can run some good veggies through the food processor and add them to the sauce so he won't be able to see or even taste them. Heck, *I* don't like veggies very much but I don't mind them that way. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

I didn't have a lot of hope that I'd like this recipe for pizza crust but I was wrong, I loved it and so did my super picky husband that is NOT Gluten Free. I just had to share this with you. I promise you, it is amazing and you can read the comments of others on this link too.

http://glutenfreeeas.../#comment-41613

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#15 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

You can gluten-free pizza at Z-Pizza also.  Chex cereals are gluten-free and so are Pebbles.  I think Rice Krispies are gluten-free now too.  They should be marked gluten-free on the box.  Gorilla Munch is another gluten-free cereal.  And there are others too.  Check the  local health food or organic grocers gluten-free section.

Most of the food he eats should be at home and cooked there, not processed foods though.  You get a lot of fillers, food colorings, preservatives and stuff with your food when you buy processed foods.  Those may not be good for him, or you.

A simple whole foods diet is the best for starting out gluten-free.  And it is the easiest way to know what is in the food you are eating.  Some celiacs develop additional food intolerances beyond wheat, rye, and barley.  Oats are a known reactor for 10% or so.  They can cause the same auto-immune response.  Other foods that people react to are soy, dairy, corn, nightshades, eggs etc.  Cutting out soy would be a good idea IMHO.  An elimination diet is a good way to find out if a food is causing a problem.  GFCFSF is a pretty well known diet for autisim.  It may help him toot, it's hard to tell without trying.

I was told by the company that ONLY the 'Brown Rice' Rice Krispies are truly Gluten free.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: