This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating While Traveling For Work. =(

SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah Apprentice

I am not yet DX'd but very likely some connection and once tested I will go Gluten free and see if symptoms get better. Here is my concern, I travel for work, at least 1 week a month, sometimes more often, I have already noticed my stomach issues are worse when traveling, I figured it was just the stress, but now I know it's probably the eating...and here I thought I was being "healthy" and usually tried to eat subway sandwich with lots of veggie. Where I travel to is very rural area, my options are fast food, and Applebee's...or the local pizza, chinese, and mexican place. Only saving piece is microwave and fridge in hotel, a already usually try to take or buy my greek yogurt for breakfast, although Hampton Inn had decent options, thinking I could be "safe" with banana and peanut butter, or they have hard boiled eggs. But as for cooking my own, not an option really.... although I do drive there guess I could load up the cooler with some home cooking. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yes, you could. I've heard others say on here that they've have an oven-like item for their car. Since you stay in a hotel, you could bring things like a crock pot or a rice cooker. I wouldn't think that you would be too far away from a store. 

SeekingSarah Apprentice

Yes, you could. I've heard others say on here that they've have an oven-like item for their car. Since you stay in a hotel, you could bring things like a crock pot or a rice cooker. I wouldn't think that you would be too far away from a store. 

There is a grocery store across the parking lot! I always locate the nearest Wal-mart, etc, luckily it's my "area" so I go to same couple cities so I know them and their stores, like I said I'd go buy yogurt, water, or other items for the week, although I get to my meals on the company card, I really would choose my health over having it covered, but I would ask my boss if equivalent $ spent at grocery was allowed, I could think it could be since often you can grab subs/dinner at the deli, so it can't be unheard of, I might just have to go over daily and buy by items verses one trip.

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

I've had much success with hotel restaurants on my work travels. I explain my food limitations, and often they'll make me scrambled eggs and plain roasted potatoes for breakfast since I can't eat their continental breakfast (and I usually get envious looks from other guests!). For lunch, a salad with oil and vinegar on the side, topped with plain chicken. Dinner could be a steak with plain steamed veggies, or (if I'm in the maritimes) fish or lobster with a simple white wine "sauce" and veggies.

My experience has been that hotel chefs have a lot more experience dealing with food allergies / intolerances than those in mom-and-pop or chain establishments. Hotel chefs have always been willing to personally come talk to me if I have any concerns about the food.

It is doable. Good luck!

tarnalberry Community Regular

When I travel, I buy food in the grocery store and cook my own.  Ok, with nothing but a fridge and microwave, "cook" can be generous, but it works.

SeekingSarah Apprentice

HAhaha...there is no hotel chefs this is down in the heart of Appalachia...the Applebee's next door is "room service" as they are owned by the same people who own the hotel and they will walk over your Curbside order. I have yet to check what options might be safe from there, I might actually have a few months before I have to travel again, I was there nearly all of Nov/Dec but I might have to go just on the spur of the moment too. I am lucky that the hotel does have microwave and refrigerator in every room. 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I cook with an electric skillet at hotels among other things mentioned above.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

Good luck! I travel with a rice cooker and in a pinch, mix in plain Wendy's burger patties or Burger King tenderloin chicken patties. If you REALLY talk to the counter people and explain you just need one of their patties cooked by itself, it's not impossible. And I travel with Glutino snack bars. They are not delicious, but they do give me some energy for a couple of hours.

The rice cooker, though, has saved me countless times. $19 and I use it every day.

I am not yet DX'd but very likely some connection and once tested I will go Gluten free and see if symptoms get better. Here is my concern, I travel for work, at least 1 week a month, sometimes more often, I have already noticed my stomach issues are worse when traveling, I figured it was just the stress, but now I know it's probably the eating...and here I thought I was being "healthy" and usually tried to eat subway sandwich with lots of veggie. Where I travel to is very rural area, my options are fast food, and Applebee's...or the local pizza, chinese, and mexican place. Only saving piece is microwave and fridge in hotel, a already usually try to take or buy my greek yogurt for breakfast, although Hampton Inn had decent options, thinking I could be "safe" with banana and peanut butter, or they have hard boiled eggs. But as for cooking my own, not an option really.... although I do drive there guess I could load up the cooler with some home cooking. 

Archived