Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Bags Under Eyes, Wheat And Pancreatic Cancer?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac last month and  my research has me wondering: My Father in Law had significant bags under his eyes and so does my husband.  When an allergist saw the bags under my young son's eyes, he mentioned that maybe he (my son) had a wheat allergy (didn't test him for it, we were there about a possible cat allergy).  We said "No, look at his father, and his grandfather had those, too"   Doctor said "Maybe they all had/have wheat allergies".  Very interesting, but I didn't think anything of it, as neither husband nor son seemed to have a problem with wheat.

My Father in Law died of Pancreatic Cancer at 62, after being wrongly diagnosed with Diabetes.  Now, I'm wondering whether this might have been the result of some unnoticed wheat allergy.  

Does anyone know if there is a connection between Celiac, or Wheat Allergy and Pancreatic Cancer?  My husband is afraid he, too, will die young and maybe going off wheat could help?  Come to think of it, my Grandfather also died of Pancreatic Cancer, and here I am diagnosed with Celiac (albeit at 50).  

Sorry to be so long-winded, but wondering if there's a known connection.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well, this is anecdotal and only addresses part of your question.

I had noticeable dark circles under my eyes all the time for years and years. People thought I wasn't getting enough sleep--starting with my mother when I was a teenager.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1986, and have been treated with insulin since then.

After my celiac disease diagnosis in 2000, and switching to a completely gluten-free diet, the dark circles are long gone.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

I too have had dark circles under my eyes since childhood and my boys have it too (after about age 6). It's not bags for us though, just purple colour.  I've been gluten-free (except for some accidents) for 9 months, and my boys have been for about 6 months. We haven't noticed any change yet.

There is a link between celiac and some cancers including pancreatic. My father dies of pancreatic cancer when he was only 42. I always thought it was because he was a smoker but when I was diagnosed I found out there is a link. I've always wondered if he had celiac disease too.  :(

http://celiacdisease...ease-Cancer.htm

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the link.. That's very interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: