Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Annie's Organic

4 posts in this topic

I had a really busy week last week and went for Annie's gluten free burritos, both the cheddar and bean and rice, and the gluten free macaroni and cheese. I checked the label many times because I have mixed them up in the past so I'm sure I bought the gluten free variety, but each day I ate one of these products I became more and more sick. I eliminated any type of cross contamination on my part and am very careful about what I eat. I haven't been that sick since before I was diagnosed when I was eating gluten all day everyday. I saw on a few other websites other people have gotten sick off the Annie's gluten free macaroni and cheese too. Has anyone else had any problems? Maybe I overlooked something, but at this point I'm scared to trust their gluten-free labels.

Ads by Google:

Noooooooooo! I love the mac & cheese!!!!! No problems for me yet. I've never had the burritos.

Some celiacs are able to handle more trace gluten than others.  You may be a more sensitive one.  Do they use shared processing lines or facilities?  You may find that you do better avoiding those.  I hope you feel better soon.

I have had no problems at all with Annie's. I have had problems with other brands in the past, but never with theirs. I do always double check when grabbing a box, they have three types of mac & cheese: Annie's, Annie's Organic, and Annie's Gluten Free. Do not ever mistake the organic for gluten free, which is insanely easy to do as some stores keep them together in the "health food" section and in other stores they'll all be lumped together in (for instance) the mac & cheese section.

If you are concerned about CC in the manufacturing process, you can use the contact us part of their webpage to email them or call them to ask about it. It is possible that it is trace CC, or it is possible that it was something else that is making you sick.

(I also wonder if you are mixing your brands. While Annie's does make mac & cheese in a box, they do not make frozen burritos. Amy's on the other hand does. Unless it is a different Annie's.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• celiac disease is psychosomatic
      I received the amended records in the mail. I don' think the doctor even read my email with the amendment request since she only corrected one statement I never said...the statement I gave as example while briefly talking to her on the phone the other day. So, I called the office to inquire why the other statements I never said were not corrected. Fortunately, the other staff member answered the phone. I'm surprised she told me this, but it was the best therapy for me so maybe she was meant to say it! She told me she knows what I mean about that one worker because she has to deal with it, too! She said a new office manager starts next week and she gave me her direct emal address to complain about that worker. 
    • Received Results. Looks like not Celiac?
      You've all been so helpful in guiding me what to do.  I did just receive my blood work and have an appt. with my doctor next week.  I wanted her to check it because I have lived a life of being extremely exhausted, migraines/headaches, and anxiety.  My thyroid is balanced and I am healthy (other blood results that were off were low platelet, low protein, high A/G ratio).  I am not good at reading results, but it appears negative to celiac, maybe next steps are trying a gluten-free diet for sensitivity? Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 2 units 0 - 19 units Negative 0 - 19
      Weak Positive 20 - 30
      Moderate to Strong Positive >30 Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG 2 units 0 - 19 units Negative 0 - 19
      Weak Positive 20 - 30
      Moderate to Strong Positive >30 t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA <2 U/mL 0 - 3 U/mL Negative 0 - 3
      Weak Positive 4 - 10
      Positive >10
      Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified
      as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr-
      ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99%
      specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy. t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG <2 U/mL 0 - 5 U/mL Negative 0 - 5
      Weak Positive 6 - 9
      Positive >9
    • healthy bread recipe?
      Hello, This is my first post. My 12yr old daughter was diagnosed with ?celiac disease. Her blood test was positive, genetic screen positive and her biopsy abnormal but they are not ready to say she is celiac because her villi are damaged but not gone. We are to adhere to a strict gluten-free diet for 6 months. So far (1 month) we have adjusted well. I am learning to bake again using many many many different flours lol. However I cannot find a good sandwich bread. There are good tasting breads with little or no fiber or heavy dense breads that don't make good sandwiches or toast. She has become very constipated on this gluten-free diet because of the low fiber content of the cereal,rice and breads. We were told no oats for the first year? and no or little dairy for the first month. She has been on a low histamine diet for 4 months now as well. My question is what is the best way to make gluten free bread, oven or bread maker? Does anyone have a good healthy recipe for sandwich bread that a kid would like? We normally eat a soft 5 grain bread before gluten-free. Thank you!
    • A good diet for avoiding type 2 diabetes
      Thanks so much, gluten-free,  in my hypchondriacal panic I saw that website!  It is good to have an endorsement from a celiac.   I remember seeing quite a few reassuring stories in it along the lines that you describe. Funny isn't as because I now feel far less inclined to eat large amounts of carbohydrate now I have cut back a bit.   It seems the more sugar I ate, the more I wanted to eat.  
    • Celiac.com: Gluten-free not always the way to go
      When people with Celiac Disease eat gluten, their body mounts an immune response that attacks the small intestine and leads to damage to the villi, ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Flora Simpson