3 replies to this topic

#1 norcalmom11

norcalmom11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I had a really busy week last week and went for Annie's gluten free burritos, both the cheddar and bean and rice, and the gluten free macaroni and cheese. I checked the label many times because I have mixed them up in the past so I'm sure I bought the gluten free variety, but each day I ate one of these products I became more and more sick. I eliminated any type of cross contamination on my part and am very careful about what I eat. I haven't been that sick since before I was diagnosed when I was eating gluten all day everyday. I saw on a few other websites other people have gotten sick off the Annie's gluten free macaroni and cheese too. Has anyone else had any problems? Maybe I overlooked something, but at this point I'm scared to trust their gluten-free labels.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

Noooooooooo! I love the mac & cheese!!!!! No problems for me yet. I've never had the burritos.

-Gluten free (and migraine free!) since 2.28.2013
-"probable Celiac" May 2013, not willing to do testing
-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

Some celiacs are able to handle more trace gluten than others.  You may be a more sensitive one.  Do they use shared processing lines or facilities?  You may find that you do better avoiding those.  I hope you feel better soon.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

I have had no problems at all with Annie's. I have had problems with other brands in the past, but never with theirs. I do always double check when grabbing a box, they have three types of mac & cheese: Annie's, Annie's Organic, and Annie's Gluten Free. Do not ever mistake the organic for gluten free, which is insanely easy to do as some stores keep them together in the "health food" section and in other stores they'll all be lumped together in (for instance) the mac & cheese section.

If you are concerned about CC in the manufacturing process, you can use the contact us part of their webpage to email them or call them to ask about it. It is possible that it is trace CC, or it is possible that it was something else that is making you sick.

(I also wonder if you are mixing your brands. While Annie's does make mac & cheese in a box, they do not make frozen burritos. Amy's on the other hand does. Unless it is a different Annie's.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: