24 replies to this topic

#1 tennisman

tennisman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I know Anxiety and Depression are quite common illnesses but I have read many article's etc about people with celiac disease having double the risk of getting these conditions . Do we get a different form of Anxiety and Depression ? I know vitamin deficiency especially vitamin D can cause depression , and lots of Celiac's have vitamin D deficiency .

I have had depression and anxiety since the end of 2008 , I think it's mainly due to my health problems , my sister's health problems and 1 or 2 other things . I really don't know how to fix my anxiety and depression :( I have been to family counselling and had counselling by myself which helps a bit . I also have taken many vitamin D supplements since 09 but my level just won't go up much .

I did wonder about self help workbooks for anxiety and depression anyone tried these ? I'm just worried the anxiety and depression is caused by celiac disease or the problems I mentioned above I just don't understand how I can fix these problems as I can't change what has happened with celiac disease or the other problems that I mentioned above if they are the cause of the anxiety and depression which i'm 99 % sure they are . It's very frustrating having physical pain due to complications of celiac disease and than these anxiety and depression problems on top are very difficult to deal with too.

If anyone has any on advice that would be great ?

Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hi tennisman,

when I went for my EGD, I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia.  Still waiting on my biopsy results, but I had a positive DGP igG score.  I had kind of suspected I had some kind of acid reflux but had never been diagnosed with it.  thankfully, I am happy to report that in only about three weeks gluten free, it has improved substantially.  In another post someone suggested reading the book Why Stomach Acid is Good for You by Jonathan Wright.  I finished it last week, and it is an awesome book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

there was a table on why the author thinks depression occurs closer to the back of the book as follows:

Low stomach acid --> reduced absorption of essential amino acids--> neurotransmitter (serotonin, norepinephrine) deficiency--> depression

if you read it, the correct pH of your stomach acid is invaluable to how you assimilate nutrients.  if you are unable to absorb nutrients correctly, then it sets off a chain reaction.

Before my EGD, my GI doctor offered a prescription of Prilosec since I had thought I had some sort of acid reflux.  He said sometimes that can help get rid of symptoms.  I am of the mind set, I don't want to mask symptoms, I want to get to the root of the problem and get rid of it.  Gluten-free has gotten me off to a good start minus any harsh medications that limit my stomach acid, and after reading the book, the only way I will ever agree to take those meds would be a Heidelberg capsule test to really test how much stomach acid I am producing.  Most people with GERD under produce stomach acid rather than overproduce it, so why would I want to make even less??  Yes, I am assuming I under produce it  :)

maybe a simple HCL with pepsin tablet is your answer?  I bought Bluebonnet brand off of Amazon.

I know Anxiety and Depression are quite common illnesses but I have read many article's etc about people with celiac disease having double the risk of getting these conditions . Do we get a different form of Anxiety and Depression ? I know vitamin deficiency especially vitamin D can cause depression , and lots of Celiac's have vitamin D deficiency .

I have had depression and anxiety since the end of 2008 , I think it's mainly due to my health problems , my sister's health problems and 1 or 2 other things . I really don't know how to fix my anxiety and depression :( I have been to family counselling and had counselling by myself which helps a bit . I also have taken many vitamin D supplements since 09 but my level just won't go up much .

I did wonder about self help workbooks for anxiety and depression anyone tried these ? I'm just worried the anxiety and depression is caused by celiac disease or the problems I mentioned above I just don't understand how I can fix these problems as I can't change what has happened with celiac disease or the other problems that I mentioned above if they are the cause of the anxiety and depression which i'm 99 % sure they are . It's very frustrating having physical pain due to complications of celiac disease and than these anxiety and depression problems on top are very difficult to deal with too.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#3 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

are you presently gluten free? thoroughly gluten free?  The vitamin D, what supplement are you taking?  Remember, natures way of getting Vit D is through sunlight on skin.   Get outside between 10 and 2, with at least 20/30 % of your skin uncovered, for 20 minutes or so....not so long you start to turn pink.  good luck

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

My anxiety and depression went away gluten free and return when glutened.  Perhaps you just need a little more time on the gluten-free diet, or learning about what not to eat.  I hope that you feel better soon.

#5 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi tennisman,

when I went for my EGD, I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia.  Still waiting on my biopsy results, but I had a positive DGP igG score.  I had kind of suspected I had some kind of acid reflux but had never been diagnosed with it.  thankfully, I am happy to report that in only about three weeks gluten free, it has improved substantially.  In another post someone suggested reading the book Why Stomach Acid is Good for You by Jonathan Wright.  I finished it last week, and it is an awesome book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

there was a table on why the author thinks depression occurs closer to the back of the book as follows:

Low stomach acid --> reduced absorption of essential amino acids--> neurotransmitter (serotonin, norepinephrine) deficiency--> depression

if you read it, the correct pH of your stomach acid is invaluable to how you assimilate nutrients.  if you are unable to absorb nutrients correctly, then it sets off a chain reaction.

Before my EGD, my GI doctor offered a prescription of Prilosec since I had thought I had some sort of acid reflux.  He said sometimes that can help get rid of symptoms.  I am of the mind set, I don't want to mask symptoms, I want to get to the root of the problem and get rid of it.  Gluten-free has gotten me off to a good start minus any harsh medications that limit my stomach acid, and after reading the book, the only way I will ever agree to take those meds would be a Heidelberg capsule test to really test how much stomach acid I am producing.  Most people with GERD under produce stomach acid rather than overproduce it, so why would I want to make even less??  Yes, I am assuming I under produce it  :)

maybe a simple HCL with pepsin tablet is your answer?  I bought Bluebonnet brand off of Amazon.

Hi powerofpositivethinking , glad gluten free diet has helped your acid reflux  , I will look into the book thanks .

That's interesting about the table , I have read similar things before . 

I agree it's best o get to the root of the problem and treat that . I don't usually take tablets as the side effects scare me ! It seems tablets are not good always they should make some that should overproduce it .

What are HCL pespin tablets ?

#6 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

are you presently gluten free? thoroughly gluten free?  The vitamin D, what supplement are you taking?  Remember, natures way of getting Vit D is through sunlight on skin.   Get outside between 10 and 2, with at least 20/30 % of your skin uncovered, for 20 minutes or so....not so long you start to turn pink.  good luck

I have been gluten free since May 2003 and have always stuck with diet 150 %. I have been taking Adcal vitamin D , I think it has 400 units of vitamin D taken twice a day . Unfortunately living in england we haven't got much sunshine lately , it rained most of last summer and now we have snow , we need some sun for a couple of months ! Thanks :) 

#7 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

My anxiety and depression went away gluten free and return when glutened.  Perhaps you just need a little more time on the gluten-free diet, or learning about what not to eat.  I hope that you feel better soon.

That's good your anxiety and depression went away . I been on the gluten free diet for almost 10 years . I found slowly after been diagnosed depression and anxiety got worse I remember the 1st time I really felt depressed was a year and a half after I was diagnosed but than it started getting worse slowly year by year . Than in winter of 2008 it became a lot worse . It's difficult to know what causes it I blame celiac disease or the gluten free diet and I think other illness I have and stressful events make it worse . I have found when I have been somewhere sunny for a week or so I did feel less anxious and depressed so it could just be the vitamin D deficiency causing the problems . Thanks :)

#8 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

tennisman, if you think your depression could be related to vit. D have you tried light therapy yet?

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have been gluten free since May 2003 and have always stuck with diet 150 %. I have been taking Adcal vitamin D , I think it has 400 units of vitamin D taken twice a day . Unfortunately living in england we haven't got much sunshine lately , it rained most of last summer and now we have snow , we need some sun for a couple of months ! Thanks :)

I was low on Vitamin D also. Doc had me taking 1000 units of D a day.  After a year I was still low so he switched me to 2000 units a day.

There was a news story about vitamin D pills not being marked correctly recently.  They said some of the vit D pills were very low on the actual D content vs the marking on the label.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi tennisman

I take Lamberts Vit D 1000iu per day available through Amazon (or quality health food store). I think it is a good one and I definitely feel better with taking it. 

Like you, I am in the UK and struggling to remember what sunshine looks like!

Additional thought - have you had your thyroid function checked. I would say that low thyroid = feeling low/depression.

Might be worth checking just in case.

Hope you feel better soon (and hope we get a beautiful summer).

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi tennisman,

Your advice and knowledge of depression is top notch.  You have done your homework.  Doctors think everyone is depressed without ever doing any testing on some of the things you mention.  They put people on ppi's without testing to see if they really do have too much stomach acid, even though a large percentage of adults have low stomach acid by the time they hit 60 years old. 80% of the immune system starts in the gut so if your gut is compromised, then you will have problems with mood.  So taking a digestive enzyme or some Betain HCL may be all that is needed, along with a strict gluten-free diet if you have a gluten problem.

I would also recommend exercise because it really does wonders for brain chemicals.  Seratonin gets a boost with every work-out.  I can walk into the gym in a lousy mood and 1 hour later, leave feeling like a new person.

#12 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

yeah I'm not big on putting extra things in my body if they aren't needed.  I had one bad expierence, so I don't like to take anything unless it is absolutely necessary  :)  when I had vit/nutrient testing done this February, I was deficient in Vitamins D and K, and low in potassium.  For Vitamin D, my doctor told me to take 2000 iu a day, and I will be getting retested in May. 

HCL plus pepsin is not a pharmaceutical prodcut, but instead is the hydrochloric acid found in your stomach and pepsin is an enzyme, both of these things are essential to breaking down food, but most importantly protein.  If your body is having trouble digesting protein, it goes back to that other post I made about:

if you can't adequately digest protein due to low stomach acid, then the way I see it is, the protein isn't being completely broken down into the needed amino acids, then neurotransmitters are thrown off and then depression sets in... 

i bought these tablets http://www.amazon.co...hcl bluebonnet 

because the second review stated "This is a wonderful, 1 tablet dose for those with low stomach acid. Has dramactically increased my nutrition absorption, as based on blood work. Highly recommemded!"

it would be worth a try, if nothing else seems to be working and you want to avoid the pharmaceutical route :)

Hi powerofpositivethinking , glad gluten free diet has helped your acid reflux  , I will look into the book thanks .

That's interesting about the table , I have read similar things before . 

I agree it's best o get to the root of the problem and treat that . I don't usually take tablets as the side effects scare me ! It seems tablets are not good always they should make some that should overproduce it .

What are HCL pespin tablets ?

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#13 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

tennisman, if you think your depression could be related to vit. D have you tried light therapy yet?

Thanks for the advice Peeptoad , I haven't tried light therapy before thanks for the suggestion :)

#14 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I was low on Vitamin D also. Doc had me taking 1000 units of D a day.  After a year I was still low so he switched me to 2000 units a day.

There was a news story about vitamin D pills not being marked correctly recently.  They said some of the vit D pills were very low on the actual D content vs the marking on the label.

Hopefully I can get a tablet with a higher does from the doctor , my GP did mention the other day about some different supplements that I might absorb better . That story is interesting , the tablets I had are from the hospital and my doctor said there the top brand . I wondered also about just vitamin D tablets as mine are calcium and vitamin D , I wonder if it makes any difference .

#15 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi tennisman

I take Lamberts Vit D 1000iu per day available through Amazon (or quality health food store). I think it is a good one and I definitely feel better with taking it. 

Like you, I am in the UK and struggling to remember what sunshine looks like!

Additional thought - have you had your thyroid function checked. I would say that low thyroid = feeling low/depression.

Might be worth checking just in case.

Hope you feel better soon (and hope we get a beautiful summer).

Hi Lady Eowyn . I will have a look for them tablets . That's good you feel better taking it :)

Don't think I have had my thyroid checked , I will ask my doctor to check . 

Thanks , and hopefully we will get plenty of sunshine over the next few months !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: