#1 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Are they safe for super-sensitives?

I know someone on here always says they see various other grains in their dried beans or lentils or whatever. If I find these and just pick them out, would it be safe enough? If I get dried ones, there's always washing and soaking. Would that be enough for you?

Are there some brands that you're fine with, or ones that you simply can't trust?

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks to Dilantesteph, I have been washing them 3 times in soap and water.  Rinse well.

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I simply rinse mine. I have no problems.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

Thanks, I'll start using them again and give them a good scrubbing. I don't know if I'm super-sensitive (looks like my neuropathy might be), but until I have no symptoms, I think it's smart that I eat like one.

#5 louisewheatfree

louisewheatfree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

Thanks, I'll start using them again and give them a good scrubbing. I don't know if I'm super-sensitive (looks like my neuropathy might be), but until I have no symptoms, I think it's smart that I eat like one.

I grew up eating legumes.  We only cleaned them and soaked them overnight.  I read on websites that beans need to be  soaked for up to 48 hours and that the soaking water needs to be changed frequently.  Soak in warm water.  The last soaking water needs to have baking soda or vinegar added to it.  Checking around you can find out more about this.  

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

I've not have good luck finding safe ones.  Many say on the package that they were processed on lines that also process wheat.  Others tell me that when I contact them.  Rancho Gordo, last I checked used gluten free facilities, but were still problematic for me.  I would love to hear of really good source that works for very sensitive celiacs that is available in the U.S.  Washing helps a lot, but unless they are really good to start, it doesn't do enough for me.  Does anyone know of a source of beans that come from a bean only facility? 

#7 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I grew up eating legumes.  We only cleaned them and soaked them overnight.  I read on websites that beans need to be  soaked for up to 48 hours and that the soaking water needs to be changed frequently.  Soak in warm water.  The last soaking water needs to have baking soda or vinegar added to it.  Checking around you can find out more about this.  

Ohhhhh I get it, finally! I couldn't understand why you were giving me cooking instructions for beans in the thread :-p I'm not actually worried about the gas from beans as being in response to gluten. My gluten symptoms are neurological, and I've been gluten-free for 10 months now and I still am not better, and I don't trust any glutinous food I eat to give me an immediate gluten response, particularly not an intestinal one.

Wish I could help you steph, the beans I buy are in New Brunswick, Canada. if you're in Maine you could take a road trip :-p I actually haven't confirmed with the company/farm itself about gluten status, but someone who was selling their beans in old milk bags (hence why I need these ones scrubbed regardless) at the farmers market said they didn't grow any grains. I will phone them tomorrow though and find out more specifics. They sell them in proper bags though too, labelled and printed on, found them at a grocery store I never go to.

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

My daughter is in Montreal, so if it is possible that she could get them there, could you pm me with the name?  Thanks

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I  simply rinse them and I have no issues.

I am a very sensitive celiac who would have gut pain, nausea, and whole host of issues,including neurological ones within hours if any gluten was "getting me".. 

I simply cannot imagine washing any foods in soap.. :unsure:  yuk.

What will adding soap do that pure water rinses will not?

Nothing. Sorry.

If you are having any problem with legumes, it's more likely your inability to digest them.

They wreak havoc on the digestive tract (even in non-celiacs). Thus, the crude, but realistic "bean/fart"  joke 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm a bit confused here....if you are rinsing legumes properly -- and are still having a "gluten-like" reaction -- my bet is you have an issue with digesting that particular legume.....I can't eat any - but that is me.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I couldn't eat legumes of any kind for years. Made me so sick. After about 7 years gluten-free, I gingerly tried some again and now do ok with them in moderation.

I would be afraid to use soap on food personally, any residue would probably cause diarrhea. Whatever works :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

I  simply rinse them and I have no issues.

I am a very sensitive celiac who would have gut pain, nausea, and whole host of issues,including neurological ones within hours if any gluten was "getting me".. 

I simply cannot imagine washing any foods in soap.. :unsure:  yuk.

What will adding soap do that pure water rinses will not?

Nothing. Sorry.

If you are having any problem with legumes, it's more likely your inability to digest them.

They wreak havoc on the digestive tract (even in non-celiacs). Thus, the crude, but realistic "bean/fart"  joke 

Soap is an excellent cleanser because of its ability to act as an emulsifying agent. An emulsifier is capable of dispersing one liquid into another immiscible liquid. This means that while oil (which attracts dirt) doesn't naturally mix with water, soap can suspend oil/dirt in such a way that it can be removed more efficiently than using just water.

It's also highly recommended to wash all your produce / vegetables with 'produce washes' to more effectively remove pesticide residues.  

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Soap is an excellent cleanser because of its ability to act as an emulsifying agent. An emulsifier is capable of dispersing one liquid into another immiscible liquid. This means that while oil (which attracts dirt) doesn't naturally mix with water, soap can suspend oil/dirt in such a way that it can be removed more efficiently than using just water.

It's also highly recommended to wash all your produce / vegetables with 'produce washes' to more effectively remove pesticide residues.  

Pesticides are in the soil and therefore in the plant...how does soap on the surface remove pesticides that reside within the plant work?

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#14 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Pesticides are in the soil and therefore in the plant...how does soap on the surface remove pesticides that reside within the plant work?

Good point.  To clarify:  the washing is effective on removing the pesticides that are on the surface of the plant and not in the pesticides that have been incorporated into the plant while it was growing.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I eat locally grown or organic and I wash them with warm water and brush with a veggie brush.

exactly!.

and my point was about rinsing the beans anyway-- the topic at hand..

I still cannot see washing berries, etc. with soap. Warm water rinses work fine.

Buy organic or local .... less chance of pesticides.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: