Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Legumes

26 posts in this topic

Hi Dilettantsteph -- thanks for your reply.  I should clarify that I'm not posting here on this for me.  I'm posting this because a lot of folks online are suggesting just washing the beans to magically remove the gluten, while Jane Anderson is saying that trace amounts may remain.  I just want to point that out in case there are other sensitive folks like me out there wondering why they are sick.  I have a separate post (the one I linked to) on my own problems.  No one responded there and I suspect the sensitive folks don't check that forum too often.  But it's OK.  (You know, I actually did email Ms. Anderson on this a few weeks ago, but so far no reply.  Oh well. It's OK.)

Anyway, I think Jane Anderson meant that testing would still find the gluten:

However, informal experiments using home gluten testing kits show it's not that easy to get rid of the contamination — some seems to remain behind, despite your best scrubbing efforts.

The problem is, gluten is a very sticky molecule, and it's just not very responsive to washing. Friends who also happen to be scientists have experimented with this, and have found you can lessen — although not eliminate — the gluten cross-contamination in beans by washing them repeatedly in water with dish soap, and then rinsing.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/fl/Gluten-Free-Beans-Sensitive-Trace-Gluten.htm

Sounds like her scientist friends are actually doing the ELISA test here to confirm results. I ordered some of those tests and some certified gluten-free Eden Food canned beans, and I suggest anyone eating beans from any source other than one where they know how it was harvested (their own garden or a small farmers' they have spoken to) do the same, and not rely on just washing.

Ads by Google: