Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Zinc Deficiency

3 posts in this topic

i've been taking quite a bit of zinc for the past 3 weeks along with hcl so it can be absorbed better, but I still can't taste anything on the zinc tally test. I've been off of gluten for a year and have been taking glutamine for my digestive system, but it seems like im not absorbing much of the zinc i take, what can i do?

Ads by Google:

Are you taking zinc sublingually? As I understand it, zince is best absorbed in our mouths.

Zinc competes with magnesium (and iron) for absorption, so overdoing the zinc, even if you are still deficient in it, could screw up your body even more if you are also deficient in iron or magnesium. You probably know all about iron deficiency, but magnesium deficiency isn't nearly as well known, and is also, apparently, being discovered as a potential issue that wasn't really known of before. Also, even if you got your blood magnesium levels tested and they were fine, apparently the blood isn't a great measure of it. A lot of symptoms for these things overlap too. I suggest a few google hours reading about magnesium if you haven't before.

I'm not sure the tasting test is very reliable, if it's the same one that I recall hearing about. It's certainly not something standard medicine recognizes.