2 replies to this topic

#1 tiredandwired

tiredandwired

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

i've been taking quite a bit of zinc for the past 3 weeks along with hcl so it can be absorbed better, but I still can't taste anything on the zinc tally test. I've been off of gluten for a year and have been taking glutamine for my digestive system, but it seems like im not absorbing much of the zinc i take, what can i do?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Are you taking zinc sublingually? As I understand it, zince is best absorbed in our mouths.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Zinc competes with magnesium (and iron) for absorption, so overdoing the zinc, even if you are still deficient in it, could screw up your body even more if you are also deficient in iron or magnesium. You probably know all about iron deficiency, but magnesium deficiency isn't nearly as well known, and is also, apparently, being discovered as a potential issue that wasn't really known of before. Also, even if you got your blood magnesium levels tested and they were fine, apparently the blood isn't a great measure of it. A lot of symptoms for these things overlap too. I suggest a few google hours reading about magnesium if you haven't before.

I'm not sure the tasting test is very reliable, if it's the same one that I recall hearing about. It's certainly not something standard medicine recognizes.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: