Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is Irritability Common Among Celiac Patients?

mood change irritability

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 GFceliacgirl

GFceliacgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

My health professional just told me that irritability can be caused by the need for B vitamins.  Irritability is one of my first signs of getting gluttened.  I am still not sure if it is "caused by" or if it just makes it hard to be nice.  You may want to check your nutrient status.

One more thing:  I haven't been able to eat malt balls for many years, but I recall the malt is usually made with barley.  I think they do also contain wheat.  Hard boil some eggs instead and be happy!  ha ha ha I know, it doesn't quite give the same feeling!  But who wants the grouchy feeling In spite of a little in good taste.

I threw cheese through a window once.  I had a sudden surge of irritability for no reason.  Well, I found out later that I was highly intolerant of cheese.  I therefore conclude avoiding foods that cause these problems is best.

Diana

I get extremely irritable a while after I've been glutened for some reason.  Today it happened after I had a fountain drink of Diet Dr. Pepper.  After consuming gluten I get immediate symptoms in my fingertips.  They turn white and feel cold and numb almost like there is no circulation.  Then a few hours later I felt the irritated about everything.  

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hmm I do remember a time when I could NOT eat bananas. It felt like my stomach was being ripped apart by the blood vessels. It was a nasty reaction! Stabbing, tearing kinds of pain. I didn't eat bananas from mid high school (2000) to probably 2008 or 2009. I didn't seem to have that reaction after that, I can now eat bananas without any issues. And in 2008 is when I started to have slight anemia which again, my doctor didn't tell me about. I only found out about it by looking back through all my labs and nitpicking every abnormal or near abnormal lab test. The MCV, MCH and MCHC (?) were abnormal (very slightly low).

#18 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

My 4 yr old is very irritable after gluten, I n the other hand get irritable after talking to the GI at our local kids hospital!

#19 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

I've not noticed irritability in me at all when ingesting gluten from bread or pasta. But something about those malted milk balls did it to me. and it was bad. I wouldn't be so freaked out by it except severe confusion went along with it. I'll have to try to find out if it was the malt in it or the food dyes for the shell of the candies. Either way, I will NOT be eating those specific malted milk balls anymore.

What is wrong with the GI at the hospital? Is he/she a moron?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: