8 replies to this topic

#1 jamer

jamer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm  new on this whole gluten-free journey. I'm 2+ months into the celiac disease diagnosis and the diet. I've been able to identify that horrendous reflux is one of my signs that I've been contaminated or glutened. I'm fairly positive I was contamined last night. My husband and I were out of town and we ate dinner out. I thourghly question staff, even talked to the chef last night about gluten and cross contamination. Last night about 5 or 6 hours afte dinner, I started by having itchy palms and feet, then it progressed to my thighs, stomach, arms, and back...in that order. I also noticed a fine petichae rash wherever I was itching. This lasted for hours!! It was still present today but not as bad. Benadryl has it under control right now.   Can this happen from cross contamination, is this even associated with celiac disease?

*Biopsy diagnosed Celiac Disease 1/2013

*Gluten Free since January 20, 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BZBee

BZBee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

My scalp is the first thing to itch and then around my knees and upper back. I also get really tired and start bloating out like Im 4 months pregnant. Then everything goes haywire, lol. Starting with neurological issues, cramping and GERD.

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Are you sure that it wasn't an allergic reaction to something?

#4 jamer

jamer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Are you sure that it wasn't an allergic reaction to something?

I guess it could have been. Anything is possible. Seems I'm having allergic reactions to medicines since going gluten-free. Never had a problem before..as for now, nothing new in my diet, soaps, detergents, shampoos, ect.  Just trying to locate the source...I hate itching!

BZbee...my scalp was itching like crazy, too!

*Biopsy diagnosed Celiac Disease 1/2013

*Gluten Free since January 20, 2013

#5 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

I get itching with CC, but I went gluten-free before being tested so I don't know whether I am gluten sensitive or have a wheat allergy, I have symptoms that correspond to both. I need to do allergy testing at some point soon.

#6 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I get VERY itchy when I've been glutened, it's miserable!!

#7 BZBee

BZBee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

When I awoke from my endoscopy and my GI Dr. Asked if I had itchy skin I looked at him like, " how does he know that." I never disclosed those symptoms because I assumed it was eczema. He went "aha" and wrote it on my chart and then told me he suspected celiac from the lesions and scaffolding. Since my diagnosis and going gluten free I've noticed less itching and skin problems.

#8 lizardloo

lizardloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

My calves and shins get EXTREMELY itchy when I've had gluten.  Sometimes I think I could probably scratch my skin off and still not have relief :(

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sounds like one of my random, non organic dairy reactions, which means some corporate big farm somewhere was dosing their poor milk cows with who knows what antibiotics or other drugs, and not holding all the milk back..... :(   these people fighting the better food labeling rules, and sneering at organic foods are a real trip and must truly be oblivious in their own bodies, to not be able to feel things like this.  Sulfites can also cause an itching reaction, but I am a lot more tolerant of minute quantities of that now that I am gluten free.  I have one joint  with tendonitis that puffs up so reliably now when I am glutened, (compared to the allergy reactions) clearly visible to other people if I would show them, I feel like I should give it an honorary title.  I might start feeling a little punkish or off, and then I see if my hands and ankles match in size, and test flex each one.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: