This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endomysial Antibody Iga, Is That Enough To Prove Im Not Celiac?

Leis

Leis Rookie

Hello

Just a quick question, i was tested for endomysial antibody iga when i asked the dr for a celiac test.  I have CFS and thought it might be the cause. I have a copy of the results, they just say "endomysia antibody iga    N". Is this test alone enough to prove im not celiac?  I went gluten free a couple of months ago and feel clearer headed so wont be going back to gluten.  I just wondered?  Thanks for any info.

Leis

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

learning2cope Apprentice

I'm not sure if that test alone is enough (I'm new to all of this and have not yet been diagnosed) but if you went gluten-free prior to getting the test done it very well could have caused that negative result if you do have celiac disease.

Leis Rookie

Hi, no it was about a year ago i had that test done and i was eating gluten.  I assumed i didnt have a problem with it from the test being negative.  Thanks.

nvsmom Community Regular

Many celiacs do not test positive in all tests, There is a chance you are a celiac, especially if your total serum IgA level is low, or if your celiac disease is fairly new as a positive EMA IgA only shows up once there is a fair bit of intestinal damage, and that can take some time to happen. It could also appear negative if you were gluten-free prior to testing.

If you still suspect celiac disease, you could request the following tests:

ttg IgA and ttg IgG

total serum IgA

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

AGA IgG and DGP IgA (older and less used tests)

The EMA IgA test is pretty specific to celiac disease, and it is very sensitive. If you have adequate IgA levels, and celiac is not a recent development for you, then I would guess that you do not have celiac disease .... But that doesn't mean you don't have Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI) which causes the same symptoms and inflammation as celiac disease, but doesn't invelove intestinal damage.

Best wishes. I hope you continue to feel well.

Leis Rookie

Thanks Nvsmom for that info.  Yeah, it doesnt really matter if i am or not i guess.  I definitely wont be eating it again.  

Take care

Leis x

Archived