4 replies to this topic

#1 cambrozi

cambrozi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hello! I'm new to this website as far as officially being a member but ever since I was diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago, I have often run to this site for help! This leads me to my question at hand...does anyone else (women of course) have an issue with irregular spotting 'down there' after working out?

I have been experiencing a lot of GI and reproductive problems lately so, after dealing with every doctor under the sun, I have been told that I'm fine. They don't know what's causing my lower back cramping and occasional spotting but everything else can be attributed to to my Celiac Disease. Does anyone else get these two symptoms? The lower back cramping often comes along with an upset stomach/D so I'm not too terribly concerned about it and I guess it's just normal...the irregular spotting has me worried, though. I'm not a huge fan of the obgyn I currently am able to go to so I'm not quite sure she really covered all her bases and she doesn't seem to understand how much celiac disease factors into my entire body, not just my stomach. Anyone else experience irregular spotting after working out? I'm just trying to figure out if this is in any way tied to my celiac disease or if I need to finally bite the bullet and go hunt down a better obgyn. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Assaf

Assaf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

I don't know anything specific about that, but perhaps a vitamin deficiency due to the celiac disease (B12, K?) is causing low platelet count or other clotting condition, which can cause bleeding. Depending on how strenuous the exercise is, your blood pressure can almost double which would make you more prone to bleeding.

Perhaps a platelet count and general blood screening would yield some information.

#3 cambrozi

cambrozi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

It'd be worth looking into, thank you!

#4 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Hi cambrozi,

I'd also suggest asking your OB/GYN whether you might have endometriosis. It's incredibly common, and often (but not always) causes bad cramps. I've had irregular bleeding most of my life, and started taking birth control when I was 15 because my cramps were so bad.

I'm currently getting lots of cramps and some bleeding after working out, but for me I think it's an IUD that I'm scheduled to have out soon. I got the IUD because my OB/GYN suspects I have endo, but didn't do the scope to find out; essentially, she said the only way to really treat it is with hormones, and since I want to be on birth control anyway she suggested the IUD. The cramps often seem related to my GI tract and my back, but apparently that's also common for endo.

Essentially, I think you need to see a doctor - it may be normal, but it may not be. If you don't like your OB/GYN find a new one who'll listen to you, and explain that you think there may (or may not) be a connection to Celiac.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi Cambrozi,

and welcome!  Are you feeling fine besides the problem?  My cycle seems to be regulating itself better since avoiding foods I am intolerant to.  I didn't have the issue with spotting, but timing and heavy flows were a problem.

Diana

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: menstrual, workouts, spotting, cramping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: