#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hi!

I had a tough week last week.   I received some damage assessments after 30 years of celiac.  I went home and wanted to discuss them, but found my husband slept already!  The next day, I called a couple of friends which couldn't talk.  Thank you people on the forum for listening!

As some may know I like to give people flowers around here.  ****  Someone might be able to make better flowers on the computer, but these are quick and I know how to make them.  Well, they look maybe a little like flowers.

Last Friday I went visiting a friend at the nursing home.  A flower shop stood just next door and I thought I would get her some.  As I approached the shop pondering how, when someone is sick, we bring flowers, but when one suffers from 30 years of celiac, we often don't notice.  Inside the shop, I selected a nice little flower arrangement.  Another arrangement stood out as being nice, so I picked it to take home with me.  Then I got Get Well cards to attach to both.  I hoped to get my friend to sign the card on mine and then I could bring it home!  At her house, I found she wasn't in sight, so I set the arrangement on the table and walked out.

At home, my children were very interested in who gave us flowers.  I said that "Dad's money bought the flowers."  I then left the get well card by the flowers and asked the little ones to sign it.  They got nearly everyone to sign the card, but I think some were confused who the flowers were for!

Well, I couldn't have picked a better rose and baby breath display myself!

I hope others will find this hilarious as I did.

By the way, I discovered the local flower shop is fairly cheap, if you just buy the flowers  without the vase.  No, doubt, the money I got with a greeting card will buy some more!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Oh, yes, definitely, that's the spirit.  ;)

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I love buying myself flowers, and would certainly encourage others to do it ******:)

You are right that we don't get to 'mark' our condition. Your story reminds me of my Mum. She was medically retired in her 40s with ME (but I see a host of gluten type symptoms...) When she hit 60 she said she was missing out on a rite of passage, so I got balloons and flowers and asked people to send cards and we had an 'official' retirement.

We all need acknowledgement *****
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: