Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do Celiacs Have A Harder Time Getting Pregnant?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hello, my fiance and I plan on getting married and two years and we plan on trying for children right away. I will be just turning 28 at the time. I would love to have children now but I still have a year left of school. It has taken me a little longer to finish my schooling, due to celiac related difficulties I went through before being diagnosed. I know 28 isn't old but it is older than I wanted to be for having my first child. And we want to have atleast two children. So, I would like to hopefully get pregnant right away. However, I am doing some research online and seeing a lot about celiac women being infertal and not being able to get pregnant. This terrifies!! I am even scared that the stress of thinking I can't get pregnant will effect my not getting pregnant! Can anyone tell me what they know about women who are celiac not being able to get pregnant?

Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

If you heal up by following your diet, I believe that you may be blessed with  children.  I had untreated celiac during my childbearing years.  I miscarried my first child, after that I had 5 healthy children.  My pregnancies were naturally 2-3 years apart and then I lapsed into infertility. 

It is possible to have children when you have celiac disease.  Wait, I think, until you have a marriage with their father, so you will both stay commited for those dear ones yet tobe.

#3 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

If you heal up by following your diet, I believe that you may be blessed with  children.  I had untreated celiac during my childbearing years.  I miscarried my first child, after that I had 5 healthy children.  My pregnancies were naturally 2-3 years apart and then I lapsed into infertility. 

It is possible to have children when you have celiac disease.  Wait, I think, until you have a marriage with their father, so you will both stay commited for those dear ones yet tobe.

So how long were you on the gluten free diet before you had your first child?

Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

I was undiagnosed the whole time!  I was kept alive in famine and very blessed.  I would have taken in more babies if I could have.  :)  I do recommend going gluten free first!

#5 mamat78

mamat78

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

I am interested in this thread too as I am undiagnosed, waiting for blood screening, and 35 with no biological children. We were always under the assumption that it was my husband as his sperm count isnt the best...its not the worst either and we have been trying for almost 15 years. We were blessed with 4 children through adoption so infertility for me was a blessing in disguise. I do wonder, however, if celiac is related to my inability to get pregnant. Good luck with your young marriage and your adventure with having a family. Those are the best years!! 

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

From my reading of others' posts here on the board, once on the gluten free diet fertility tends to normalize.  Those who have been unable to conceive, as well as those who have had multiple miscarriages, seem to have been able to carry healthy children to term once their own bodies are healthy.  So just relax and let it happen  :) 

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Here is some info about infertility & Celiac -

http://www.curecelia...y&submit=Search

http://www.celiaccen...Infertility/41/

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

This is all very helpful information! Thanks everyone :)

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I know celiac disease can affect fertility but it doesn't always, just like not everyone experiences the same gastro or neurological symptoms in this disease.  I think that untreated celiac can lead to other health problems (like PCOS or Hashi's or lupus) that causes infertility though.... but not in everyone.

I have had three children and one, very early, miscarriage. Considering that about 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, that puts me at very average. I was an untreated celiac until my youngest turned 5 years old yet I never had difficulty (thankfully and luckily) becoming pregnant.  Trying for a pregnancy took from 1 month to 5 months, which is good considering that I was in my very twenties and early thirties during that time.

Best wishes to you.  :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: