62 replies to this topic

#31 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Well thank you and I have been eating simple. I pretty much live off of boneless skinless chicken on grill and potatoes and veggies. I make enough the night before for lunch the next day. I never was into breads but I did love pasta so its hard. I think the hardest thing is having 4 kids and hubby that dont need to do this and just making their foods make me very sick. Im not sure what to do about that but I will have my kids checked out too. Thanks for the help

Buy gluten-free pasta.  Tinkyada is very good!  Just be sure not to overcook it and if you use a plastic strainer, you'll need to buy a new one.  My Italian husband never noticed that I had changed the pasta.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Well thank you and I have been eating simple. I pretty much live off of boneless skinless chicken on grill and potatoes and veggies. I make enough the night before for lunch the next day. I never was into breads but I did love pasta so its hard. I think the hardest thing is having 4 kids and hubby that dont need to do this and just making their foods make me very sick. Im not sure what to do about that but I will have my kids checked out too. Thanks for the help

if you are putting your food directly onto a pre-gluten-free grill, you might be cross contaminating yourself - put yours in tinfoil before putting on grates.  stop licking your fingers when you are making kids' food lolz that was one i learned the hard way.  tinkyada pasta is da bomb - i am also a huge pasta lover and tink comes pretty close - it even holds up well in pasta salads.  you can make their food (dinners, at least) gluten free with out that much change.   i will make most of the meal gluten-free (say, tacos) so:  meat <i season my own with onion & garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, etc s&p all gluten-free)  top with (now i can eat it) monterrey jack cheese, lettuce tomato, guacamole, salsa, sour cream.  i heat up some refried beans, and use corn taco shells, for example.  the husband wants rice a roni <not gluten free!  so i fix it and move the pot very farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away from the rest of the meal.  tends to remind him that he needs to be careful.  how old are your kids?  we also have 4, but the youngest is in last year of college already.  i think she and our son probably would test to be ncgi at least....  but their symptoms are minor to them maybe because their bodies are not damaged enough for them to care yet.  son had onset of type 1 diabetes at age 19 so he already struggles with his diet.  if they were young enough that i was still feeding them, i would feed them gluten-free anyway whether i had them tested or not.  i changed their diapers....  'nuff said lolz !  :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 Melissa.77

Melissa.77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thank you for all the tips it realy does help to hear from all the different views people have and tips. I think Im finaly comming around to the change. I even got hubby to make sons Bday cake as I was not doing it. As for myself I even made a apple crisp glutin free so I can have a treat to as well as some sorbiet ice cream yummy. Im learning slowly. I just cant stand feeling so horrible all the time so deff need to change. My dr said Im in bad shape left untreated for 30 plus years is not good. I have been sick since a very young child. So thanks all for the support

#34 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Torani flavored syrups are one example of a gluten-containing ingredient being part of "natural flavors" and not being otherwise declared. The FAQ page on their website lists the following flavors as containing gluten:

Bacon, Classic Caramel, Sugar Free Classic Caramel, Toasted Marshmallow and Sugar Free French Vanilla.

Here are the ingredients for the Classic Caramel: Pure cane sugar, water, natural flavors, citric acid, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness). I have one of the SF Classic Caramel and it does not say that it contains wheat or gluten anywhere on the package. But it does, according to their website.

I just wanted to repost this. It looks as though this is an example like Peter was looking for. It isn't "hidden" in that they clearly state on their website that these flavors contain gluten, but you'd NEVER know if you only looked at the label. So, on the label, it is hidden. It may be rare, but it does happen.

#35 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

I just wanted to repost this. It looks as though this is an example like Peter was looking for. It isn't "hidden" in that they clearly state on their website that these flavors contain gluten, but you'd NEVER know if you only looked at the label. So, on the label, it is hidden. It may be rare, but it does happen.

Exactly -- and it's the type of thing that makes me nervous about anything that lists "natural flavors." I read the label at the coffee shop, itched from it later, and found this on Torani's website. Reading the label did me no good.

#36 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I was hoping someone would repost this. I strictly avoid everything that says "natutal flavors" on the label because even though I am not gluten intolerant, my wife is. And seeing her in pain because I haven't been cautious enough doesn't work for me.

I'm not convinced that natural flavors are safe in the US even though Peter is very compelling in his arguments.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

#37 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Cookingpapa, I am going to offer another avenue to relaxing about flavors.

There are a number of food manufacturers who have a policy that any gluten will be explicitly named in the ingredients list and never hidden. They include some of the largest companies in the business, and apply to all their brands and products worldwide.

Here's a list from a source I trust.

With these companies, you don't have to call and ask. Indeed, if you call Kraft, the customer service representative will tell you to read the label. That is because formulas change, and the product you have may not match the current ingredients.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#38 khrhyne

khrhyne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well Hello everyone.

Im a brand new memeber and have been reading all these post and just soaking it all in. Im having a hard time with all this at this point and assumeit will get easier at one point. I am a mother of 4 kids so making food for them has even been gettting me sick too does anyone know what to do in this situation. Im very stressed out with it all. I cant even get myself out of bed someday because im so sick or at times Im just depressed. Any Idea for help

Hi Melissa! I hope you are slowly figuring things out. I have found a wonderful gluten-free bread mix, and my kids even request it ("Mommy, could you make the gluten-free bread?"). I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the name here? Moderators, is that OK? I am getting my daughter tested this week as well, as she has tummy issues. Good luck!

#39 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

It is perfectly okay to mention a product you have enjoyed, so long as you are not associated with the company that makes it and do not have a pecuniary interest in the product. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#40 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Corn pasta is also good

#41 heather806

heather806

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

You'll be great at this after a bit of time and practice, Melissa! I only cook gluten free for my myself and my husband and when people come over.  I make a yummy tinkyada spiral pasta salad with mozarella and tomato and other stuff and people are always surprised it is gluten free. 

If you happen to live where they have Wegman's -- I made the wegmans gluten-free brownies tonight and holy cow I have to stop myself from eating the whole batch!!  So good.  Nobody would know the difference.  Your kids can still enjoy the traditional "sweet treats" -- you just have to be a little creative and find brands that work for you.  I wish I had some vanilla ice cream to put on these brownies....yum!   (I am mostly eating healthy but sometimes you gotta have a treat) :)

I still have some non gluten-free items in the house so my husband can make a regular sandwich or whatever for himself but we have separate items like butter tubs etc to help avoid cross-contamination. 

You can do this! :)

#42 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

That is old information, and their website is out of date.  Caramel coloring/flavoring and vanilla flavoring  are no longer considered to contain gluten.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#43 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

That is old information, and their website is out of date. Caramel coloring/flavoring and vanilla flavoring are no longer considered to contain gluten.

Can you provide a source for this?

#44 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

[Emphasis in original]
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#45 Melissa.77

Melissa.77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well Im still not all the way there but am learning slowing some of the secrets in glutin free eating. love the support here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: