This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Disappointed At Chipotle - What Should I Expect?

Nikki2777

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I was diagnosed with Celiac about a month ago and have tried to be strictly gluten-free since then, while still trying to go to restaurants with my kids and husband.   I was excited to try Chipotle, as I'd read here and elsewhere that they're very gluten-free aware and would make efforts to avoid CC once told that you have Celiac.  So, today we stopped into our local Chipotle (one of my favorite quick serve restaurants before diagnosis), and it was clear that the first two servers/employees had no idea at all what I was talking about.  

I was too scared to order anything (actually teared up in frustration and went outside to calm down).  When the line got shorter, I asked to speak to the manager on duty and told him that I thought that Corporate had policies and practices for this and could he get in touch with them on how to handle it, so I can try and eat there again.

So, my question is -- when I go back, what should I expect?  Do all of you go to Chipotle and just order off the menu or do you tell the first employee that you have Celiac and they take precautions?  

Thanks.  I'm really trying to figure out how to handle 'the disclosure'.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

karichelle Newbie

You might have a better response by telling them that you are allergic to wheat/flour (even though it doesn't tell the whole story) than by just stating that you have celiac. Your average fast casual food employee isn't likely to know what celiac is. That could have been part of their confusion.

Darissa Contributor

We had a not so great experience recently at a Chipotles. The staff member did not realize what gluten free was, and was a little confused.  We had not tried Chipotles for years due to some previous not so great experiences, so we decided to try it again.  We did not end up staying and eating this time.  Too much confusion and cross contact. Not sure if we will be back or not.

I have heard that some people can eat there. Maybe it depends on the store. Maybe some stores are better than others, but we have not had good experiences. It is sad, because they have so many gluten free options (almost everything) and there are many stores in our area. We are very sensitive to cross contact, and it seems that we can not eat there.  Maybe the one in your area is better. Good luck. I did email corp with our issue and got a reply that said they will work on the education of their employees when it comes to allergans.

When we go to a new restaurant, I do normally ask for a manager, but didn't this time until after the fact. So, thats bad on my part. Good luck. We find it hard to eat out, especially at fast food places that do have some gluten free options. You will find that some chains, it really depends on the individual location and the management and employees at that store. Some are better than others (thats what I've found in all chains, not just Chiptole)

(just fyi ... this is a change from my orginal post. I felt like I ranted in my orginal post and I was frustrated when I wrote it ....so I toned it down. Sorry)

I find it best to talk to someone other than the front staff (manager or team lead) and explain that we have a "severe allergy to wheat/gluten" and that seems to help the most. I also ask for a change of gloves and clean prep surface to help decrease cross contact.  We mostly pack lunches or snacks with us most places we go. Than I don't worry!  We always carry something with us if we are going to be out long.  Good luck. It does get easier! If we are going somewhere with family or friends that we can not safely eat at, we just order a drink and visit and have a good time (we eat at home prior so we aren't hungry when at the restaurant!!)

mamaw Community Regular

As  with  any  chain restaurant some  people  don't  or  didn't  get  the  memo.......!!!!!  When this  happens  a nice  call to the  corporate  office  is  what  is needed  so  they  can  correct  the  problem  with  the  ones  who are  not  complying with  corporate protocals.....

As  with  any  dining  out  gluten-free  experience  none  are  100%  safe,  but  neither  is  Grandma's  sunday  dinner....but  we  can  be  choosey  when  we  go  out  for  a gluten-free  meal...

Our  local  Chipolte  is  the   best  it   will be..as  soon as  I  say  gluten free  the person  instantly  changes  their gloves  & tells  others  working  down the  line ( if  unable to  complete  the meal  by  themselves)that  a  gluten-free  meal  is  coming  down the  line. Most  often  the   first  person is  able  to  follow through to the  end of  the  line...they  tell me  the hard  taco shell is  safe, rice  bowls  are  safe,  they  have  a  corn  soft  shell  that  is  safe...They  tell me the meat  choices & so on.....

Being  celiac  for  ten years my  words  of  wisdom  for  newbies  is :::::: Do NOT eat  out  for  at least three  months  ,stay  away from  highly processed  foods, beer, wine, and  limit  junk foods. Give  your  body  a  chance  to heal. Eat  clean & healthy........

Darissa Contributor

Our  local  Chipolte  is  the   best  it   will be..as  soon as  I  say  gluten free  the person  instantly  changes  their gloves  & tells  others  working  down the  line ( if  unable to  complete  the meal  by  themselves)that  a  gluten-free  meal  is  coming  down the  line. Most  often  the   first  person is  able  to  follow through to the  end of  the  line...they  tell me  the hard  taco shell is  safe, rice  bowls  are  safe,  they  have  a  corn  soft  shell  that  is  safe...They  tell me the meat  choices & so on.....

I am thankful your Chipolte is good with handeling the gluten free meal well. Thats great. Maybe more of the restaurants will get on board with this.

I did get a response today from Chipolte saying thanks for the message and they will make sure they do some educating with their staff in allergans. I was thankful for the response.  I do think alot of times it is that the employees aren't educated in safe practices when it comes to allergies (or celiac).

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I'm probably the biggest advocate of Chipotle there is, but that doesn't mean they can ever be perfect.

I've been enjoying their food since they opened about 15 years ago, the last 5 being since I was diagnosed with Celiac.

My experience is that the CO run stores are cleaner and better run overall. This may be part of the problem.

Since the OP is newly diagnosed, I understand how stressful eating out is.

Maybe this will help.

• The only thing in the store that has gluten is the wheat tortilla. But the warming machine is definitely cc'd, so don't use it ever.
  • The only ingredient that may have been a worry is the vinegar in the hot red sauce, but vinegar is usually ok'd by us Celiacs (some choose to avoid it).
  • Yes, the spoons sometimes touch the tortilla, but usually they just dump it on top, and it doesn't. They will change spoons and gloves if you ask (I don't bother).
  • I have never once got cc'd there and I eat there at least 3x per week (few choices near my job and I trust them).
  • I ONLY ever order a Burrito Bowl. This way there is no possible cc from salad, dressings, taco shells etc.
  • I skip the "extras", even though they are gluten-free, they are more easily cc'd. I order MEAT, BEANS, Fajitas and Meat. That's it.
  • If I ever see a dirty store, I'm more careful
  • I eat their chips all the time. No problem, it's a dedicated fryer.
  • I verified all the meats are gluten-free, they even let me read the label(s) when I was first diagnosed

We all have to be careful, I understand, but eating at Chipotle's CAN be done easily. I'm sensitive to cc and have never had an issue.

Good Luck!

plumbago Experienced

Things in DC's Chipotles have gotten very slack over the last 1.5 years, and I probably should not eat there anymore. (Union Station and Woodley Park, for those in DC - those are the ones I use. Not sure about Dupont Circle's.) Can we email their corp office this link?!

Plumbago

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Things in DC's Chipotles have gotten very slack over the last 1.5 years, and I probably should not eat there anymore. (Union Station and Woodley Park, for those in DC - those are the ones I use. Not sure about Dupont Circle's.) Can we email their corp office this link?!

Plumbago

Sure. It is a public forum.

Takala Enthusiast

The Chipotle's in northern CA (Sacramento area) are testing out a (shudder...) tofu burrito so they can appeal to the vegan market. I think it is called a "sofrito."  Just an FYI for those gluten free people also trying to avoid soy proteins - watch out for the tofu.  <_<

CommonTater Contributor

Our Chipolte is wonderful! They change their gloves as soon as you say gluten free and nothing in there has gluten expect the tortillas but they are very careful not to cross contaminate. We don't eat out often and when we do we are very careful because I am so sensisitve to gluten.

GF Lover Rising Star

This is my opinion.  I believe every public restaurant, cafe, etc. Can have gluten contamination.  To Err Is Human and these facilities are operated by humans.  I think you play Russian Roulette every time you dine out.  Eating out is a choice.  I do at times eat out myself and am very careful but I do get that pit in my stomach every time wondering if this time is the time I get hit.  

Restaurants are not responsible for our health, we are.

Colleen 

IrishHeart Veteran

Restaurants are not responsible for our health, we are.

Absolutely true.

They do their best, but eating out is a crap shoot. I am very exact with my requests to waitstaff and/or the chef in about a dozen restaurants

and I have been lucky ( I have been burned only once. It was a 99 restaurant. Yet, the week before, I went unscathed. Same place.)

I have yet to try a Chipotle, but the celiacs I know who eat in the one nearby (Latham, NY) say they bend over backwards to accomodate

them, changing their gloves and giving them special attention, with no consequences.

I'm going to try them someday (once I get past the no cheese, no tomatoes issue) <_<

msmini14 Enthusiast

I get sick every time I eat there.  Even if the employee changes gloves and is careful with my food.  I love the food since it is good but not worth it to me.

mamamonkey Rookie

I'm another one who gets (well got) sick every time I ate there. Despite employees changing gloves, washing hands, etc. I just gave up. It would be nice to be able to eat there since the rest of my family loves it and it would be a nice place to add to the few on my list that I know are safe.

Oh, I am in the DC-NOVA area as well.

recklesstryg Newbie

I am 2 weeks in on my gluten free life. I was a avid Chipotle burrito eater, only ever lost one piece of rice when I eat one. I went there last weekend and I picked up a little card that had a run down on the allergens in there menu, allergies across the top and ingredeants down the side and an X for what matches. I got a burrito bowl with everything I used to get. The dressing is awesome. It is . lot easier to get them to understand gluten free than celiac. In

the end it is a chain and over the years I found the ones to avoid.

MarylandMan Newbie

I am very sensitive to CC so I have opted to simply not eat out unless there is not another option. Before I made that decision though I went to Chipotle a number of times with reasonable success. I told them I was allergic to wheat, ordered a burrito bowl and asked them kindly to change their gloves. Typically instead of all of them changing their gloves just one of them took my bowl all the way down the line. It does feel a lot like an its all about me moment, but don't feel bad it is about your health. Just beware of the cheese and lettuce. They grab it with there gloved hands and even if they have changed there gloves for you. They were just previously reaching in those bins with gloves that may have touched a tortilla. Good luck.

NotMollyRingwald Apprentice

...I picked up a little card that had a run down on the allergens in there menu, allergies across the top and ingredeants down the side and an X for what matches. I got a burrito bowl with everything I used to get. The dressing is awesome. It is . lot easier to get them to understand gluten free than celiac. In the end it is a chain and over the years I found the ones to avoid.

^^ This!  I've been fortunate to have a very gluten aware Chipotle near my work.  The staff has been trained that if a customer indicates a gluten issue, they are to change their gloves, and follow that customer all way to the cashier (so only one worker touches your food). Like recklesstryg said, there are ones to visit, and ones to avoid!!  Hope you have better luck next time. 

volunteergal63 Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac about a month ago and have tried to be strictly gluten-free since then, while still trying to go to restaurants with my kids and husband.   I was excited to try Chipotle, as I'd read here and elsewhere that they're very gluten-free aware and would make efforts to avoid CC once told that you have Celiac.  So, today we stopped into our local Chipotle (one of my favorite quick serve restaurants before diagnosis), and it was clear that the first two servers/employees had no idea at all what I was talking about.  

I was too scared to order anything (actually teared up in frustration and went outside to calm down).  When the line got shorter, I asked to speak to the manager on duty and told him that I thought that Corporate had policies and practices for this and could he get in touch with them on how to handle it, so I can try and eat there again.

So, my question is -- when I go back, what should I expect?  Do all of you go to Chipotle and just order off the menu or do you tell the first employee that you have Celiac and they take precautions?  

Thanks.  I'm really trying to figure out how to handle 'the disclosure'.

I was diagnosed with Celiac's in 2008 and have found the best way to figure out if I can eat at a specific restaurant is to call ahead and ask for the manager. I explain what I have and ask if they feel confident they can serve me within a 20 ppm tolerance. I have found some restaurants that have gluten free menus will NOT commit to that, but alot of chef/owner one know there ingredients and kitchen well and can serve me even if they don't have a menu.

I would suggest getting a grocery guide, check all your medications with your pharmacist and just take it one step at a time. It is scary but you will feel better the longer you are on the diet.

MsCurious Enthusiast

When I finally got brave enough to try eating out, my husband and I went to PF Chang's which is fabulous in downtown Sacramento and Roseville, if you're near there...give it a try! They use special plates with PF Chang's logo on them to signify gluten free. The waiters are all trained, and immediately bring gluten free soy sauce, etc. I did get glutened once, when I didn't notice they brought the lettuce wraps on a regular plate and not a logo plate. Now I'm very aware and make sure that's what my food is served on. 

Having, good luck there...we decided to try Chipotle's across from Sunrise Mall. We had seen that they advertised gluten free food, and I was very excited to have another option. When we arrived and waited in line, I keenly observed the crew behind the counter. All had their gloves on... good sign, right? So I watched the first person grab a flour tortilla, and slap it down on the paper in from of him and grab a spoon full of beans and smear it on the flour tortilla...and then toss the spoon back into the beans. Clearly, the beans were off limits. Next he grabbed a spoonful of rice and did the same thing, although the spoon didn't touch as much of the flour, back in the rice it went. BUT, I was hopeful that maybe I could have some meat and maybe some lettuce and tomatoes or something pretty basic. As that flour torilla was passed along to the next person, she grabbed the edges of the flour tortilla and turned it on the paper... guess she didn't like the angle it was facing. :P Then she jammed her flour contaminated glove into the lettuce tub, and then into the tomatoes and what ever else.... THEN she folded the flour tortilla and rolled it up... wrapped it in paper and grabbed the next one coming down the counter... again jammed her contaminated glove into the lettuce, and cheese etc... This went on for 5-6 orders before we got to the counter.

My husband, who is not gluten free, ordered his lunch and I declined. When we got to the register ... the MANAGER of the Chipotle on duty at the time... looked at the order and said... Is this all your ordering? I said, well, yes it is. I had hoped to dine here as well, but your employees have cross contaminated all of your gluten free food. She looked at me and laughed flippantly and said... "Yeah, I guess we should be more careful, huh?"  And that was it! That was all she had to say about it. She didn't care. She didn't apologize, and certainly didn't make any indication that she would attempt to change anything.  I would NEVER  EVER eat at a Chipotle's after that experience.

There may be some places that are okay, but I would watch before ordering. I was much happier to go home and make my lunch, than to be sick for 5-6 days... and I would have been, from what I saw. Just a heads up.

• 1 month later...
fugluten23 Newbie

Hey I'm new to the forums but I really wanted to tell what happened with my experience at Chipotle.

Now I'm not a comfirmed Celiac (the tests done on me were a big flop but the doctor told me to proceed as if I am celiac due to my severe sensitivity) but Gluten makes me so sick for days after and causes a ton of problems mentally and physically - even lightly CC'd foods affect me badly. I became Gluten Free a number of years ago and my life has improved dramatically in every aspect.

So A chipotle had opened up nearby and I started eating there for a quick lunch. It was almost as if the heavens opened up and I finally was allowed to enjoy some sort of fast food again. Quick and convenient just don't seem to be in a gluten free vocabulary book so I was really excited about this place.

The first time I ate there - I told them I had a severe gluten allergy and they kindly changed their gloves and didn't put the corn taco in the presser where other Flour tortillas had been cooked (I was getting a steak taco). I got some rice, steak, cheese and hot sauce to keep it simple and tasty. I had zero problems and felt fine after eating and no problems during the days after.

So I decided to try it again a few days later. This time I told them about the gluten allergy but they never changed their gloves and the corn taco got pressed in the presser right after a flour tortilla was pressed. I decided to try and eat it anyway (sometimes I just get soo tired of worrying constantly and annoying people to no end to make special accomodations for me but I've never caved in on eating something I know was CC'd until now - I couldn't help myself I just wanted to feel normal for once). Well, eating it was a huge mistake. About 15 minutes later my entire body (stomach especially) blew up like a balloon. I started to feel real sick like the flu was about to hit me. Then I developed a cold sweat. But then I unsuccessfully went to the bathroom and had a huge anxiety attack that left me passed out on the floor. I woke up into a pool of throw up and have been lethergic, moody, bloated and just sick in general since then (this pccured about 3 days ago).

From my experience - Chipotle is a hit or miss. If you get good servers who are knowledgeable - you may have a chance to avoid CC but from what I can see - you have to be real lucky to avoid the many instances of possible CC at this place.

plumbago Experienced

What an excellent description of your  experience!

Since I did not follow up my earlier message, here it is. After contacting Chipotle by email (in which I reported an indifferent attitude about what it means to not have gluten), they responded to me that they would be contacting those two stores.

But, as you and others have described so well - there are many opportunities for cross contamination even if the server is being as diligent as possible! Depressing, no? As far as that heater/presser goes, before putting a gluten-free corn tortilla on it, it should really be cleaned, or, as in your case, skipped.

Plumbago

• 3 months later...
LauraTX Rising Star

I Love Chipotle.  Did before I went gluten-free and it is one of those places where if I am stuck away from the house, it becomes a beacon of hope against my starvation. Here is what I do:

1. Be super nice to the server.  This is really hard when you have terrible anxiety but try your best.  "Hi, I have an allergy to the flour tortillas so can you change your gloves for me?  I am going to get a bowl."

2. Order your thing, and the best part here is you can watch them make it.  You can see sometimes they will have a new thing of beans on the counter behind them ready to refill what is out there, you can sweetly ask for those.  If you see them touch the inside of your bowl with their fingers that just touched the counter, sweetly tell them you can't eat that now, can they re-start it?  Really be sickeningly sweet to them, they cannot say no.  

3. Have your clean gloved person make it from start to finish.  If they start to hand off to another employee, I say, "Oh, can you finish and seal it up for me since you are clean?  Thank you so much!"

I get: Chicken burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, guacamole, and salsa.  If they are not busy I will sometimes ask for cheese/lettuce from the back but I will not get this off the line because they touched those gluteny tortillas and then grab that with their hands. But guac is a good substitute for cheese in my opinion.  Chips and salsa/guac are good, too.  

I usually go to the same Chipotle and get to-go dinner for my husband and I, and two people there will recognize me so that is super nice. "Hey you're the gluten girl right?"  And my response is "Yes, I love you by the way!"  One time I went to a random location while out and about and the guy was clueless, but nice and did what I say.  I haven't had a bad experience at Chipotle yet, if anyone was less than nice to me I would go higher up because they seem to be a pretty good company as far as customer service goes. 

I am hungry for Chipotle now......

Laura

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Thanks, Laura, That's very helpful! - I haven't been back since that time.  Are the chips already pre-packed in bags, or do they reach into a bin with their gloves on?

LauraTX Rising Star

Usually they are in paper bags (not sealed just folded over at the top) already on a shelf by the cashier, I assume they make them at the beginning of the day and portion them out then.  Now I am curious, I will have to ask next time I go. 

CallieNYC Newbie

So far Chipotle has been great to me. I explain that I need only 1 person to prepare my meal and they need to wash their hands and put on new gloves. I've never had a problem with them. Sometimes they even get new bowls and open new cheese and such. 

Archived