arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Soon Would I Know If I'd Had Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hi - I've been gluten-free for about a month after a positive Celiac diagnosis.  My symptoms were relatively mild - some diarrhea and joint pain (though I'm only guessing it was related).  I think I've been fairly strictly gluten-free, save for one episode where I'm pretty sure I got cc at a restaurant (a hippy dippy vegan restaurant that is known to be gluten-free-friendly, of all places).  But I've struggled at restaurants and eating at friend's home to constantly monitor what I'm eating, trust (or not)  servers and cooks, etc...

So, the question is -- how soon after getting an accidental glutening would i know it?  If I leave a meal, and feel ok after the next five or six hours, can I assume it was all ok?  The thing that confuses me is my symptoms were inconsistent - a week before my diagnosis I ate a bagel and was fine all day!  (Doctor said my villous atrophy appeared to be in patches, so maybe the gluten didn't hit those patches?)  Yet two days ago, I ate eggs at a buffet that I had asked about and had mild diarrhea for nearly the whole day.  Should I think it was the eggs?

When do you know if it was safe, and if it wasn't safe, how much does it set the healing back to get 'glutened'?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I think it depends on the person but I know within an hour at most.  My symptoms are fairly severe.  Within 30-60 minutes my stomach starts rumbling, then the diarrhea and stomach pains hit, then I get a killer headache and total brain fog, feels like I've been drugged, dizzy, etc.  Depending on how severe the contamination was it lasts for anywhere from 1-5+ days.  When you say you ate eggs out of a buffet do you mean they were in a buffet with other foods?  You can't really eat foods at a buffet because the risk of cross-contamination is really high.  People use the same scoop for different food, crumbs from food can fall into the eggs.  Not to mention a lot of people with celiac have problems with dairy too.  The eggs likely had milk and butter in them.  I went gluten-free in November but then I started getting sick again and two weeks ago I had to go dairy-free as well and now symptoms are clearing up.

#3 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

It definitely depends on the person. On "average" symptoms start popping up a few hours after, but it can take a couple days or longer sometimes. I usually start feeling it about 2-3 hours out, and if I have no symptoms within 3 days I know I'm in the clear.

Yes, buffets are usually a bad idea, unless there's some isolated gluten-free section or something. Even places with gluten-free menus have the potential for CC.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: