arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Normal For Doctors To Discourage Celiac Testing?

doctors celiac testing

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

I double checked the ingredients and did not see any gluten containing items. Are you saying you experience issues with Aveeno despite that?

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Oat Flour (Avena Sativa), Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride

Oat's in and of themselves do not contain gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Oats are almost always contaminated with gluten (wheat). I get horrible reactions from Aveeno lotions. Of course, I stopped using it when I went gluten-free, but before that, I would get really bad rashes from the stuff.

#18 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

I should also add that it won't cause intestinal damage unless it is eaten, but if you use it it ends up all over your hands. I wouldn't put glutinous soy sauce or gravy all over my hands, so I stick to the same rules with cosmetics etc.

If you're pursuing testing, it won't matter, but if you're trying to be strictly gluten-free in the future, I'd ditch it.

#19 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

I just clicked on http://www.aveeno.co...dients/wheat.do and it says the Active Naturals products have "wheat protein" in them.. Grr. Ok I'll keep looking. Maybe somehow I can find a gluten-free oatmeal lotion/cream somewhere. Any ideas?

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

There are also a percentage celiacs who are unable to tolerate oats either

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

learning2cope, your doctor is an idiot. True, you might be railroading yourself into thinking you have a diagnosis you don't have, but that's hardly different than him railroading you into a diagnosis you don't have. Main difference in my mind is that you know your own symptoms better than your doctor ever will, while he knows more about the plethora of diseases it could possibly be. Your doctor is basically saying that it's harmful to be more educated. 

And for the OP, it's only as important to have a clinical diagnosis as you think it is. If you want to be officially diagnosed for your own peace of mind, or because you worry people won't take your intolerance seriously, or whatever, then you should get fully tested BEFORE you go gluten free. However, celiac disease isn't anything a doctor can treat in any way whatsoever, so it's not like you're losing out on treatment or care if you don't get diagnosed.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#22 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

I agree cavernio. I could possibly not have celiac and that would be good except that I'd not have a way to feel better unless somehow going gluten-free did fix my issues. My main issue is my psoriasis (DH?) My first derm had no idea what it was and after repeated steroid ointments or creams and salicylic acid treatments he referred me to another derm. This new derm thinks I have palmoplantar pustular psoriasis. Well everything I read about PPP is that the blisters in the skin produce yellow fluid. Mine is always clear. And with this form of DH (there are many!) my symptoms match 100%, even with the clear fluid. The severe itchiness, too. I hope there is a way to get rid of this rash. I don't want to have to live my life with it. I've had it for 7 years or more now and it consumes my life due to the severity of it. I'm praying to God that it is DH so that I (we as a family) can go gluten-free and heal it up and if I stay gluten free I'd be able to NOT have this horrible rash! I really am hoping and praying it's DH. I need relief from it. Today I woke up and the raw spot on my left hand split open so now I have a split in my skin on my hand from it. It's not too bad or deep but it does hurt worse now than it did last night. Anyway, yeah. If my bloodwork is inconclusive or negative I'm definitely getting that skin biopsy from my derm. I hope to find out the results of the blood work and research it here and post it here for others to see and help me figure it out. I don't trust my doctor to tell me the truth about the results. He didn't tell me I had mild anemia for years and years, he didn't tell me I had diabetes till 2years after my fasting bloodwork every 3 months showed an upward and Pre-diabetes trend (over 100 mg/dl) and he didn't tell me I have issues with my kidneys! I'll get a full work-up from my new doctor when we move and see if they see any issues with my lab work. I'll ask to take my labwork home so I can have a copy. I'm sorry this post is so long, I just feel so desparate and alone and I find the people here wonderful to talk to and they are able to calm me down. and to the OP, I'm sorry I've kind of railroaded your thread. I'll try not to continue with this here.

#23 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Maybe ditch the idea of oatmeal skincare and opt for coconut oil. 

I would like to take this moment to rag on doctors...  How come vetranians are such better doctors?  The animal can't speak, so they LISTEN to the human speaking.  (This does not matter if the human looked for information on the internet or not.) :rolleyes:   They do not say the animals symptoms are all in the animals head either.  All information is gathered, and examined, for a diagnostic approach to be determined.

By the way, it is a LOT harder to get into the vet program, than med school.  To get into the vet program it is encouraged that the individual start with 4H programs by the age of 7. :huh:

Michigan

#24 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi Learning2cope,

Is using oatmeal skincare that important to you?

In looking for an allergen free lotion for our baby daughter, we found a brand called California baby. It works great on my wife too :-)

There, now you have a skincare recommendation from a guy!

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

#25 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Cookinpapa, the only reason oatmeal is important to me is because it seems to dramatically reduce my itching from my psoriasis (dh?). It's a horrible deep seated impossible to satisfy itch that I get all the time. The Aveeno killed the itch!! So yeah, I hope to be able to find something that has oatmeal in it that is gluten-free.

#26 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

can you just oats?? McCains oats are from Ireland and are considered not CCd.

Cookinpapa, the only reason oatmeal is important to me is because it seems to dramatically reduce my itching from my psoriasis (dh?). It's a horrible deep seated impossible to satisfy itch that I get all the time. The Aveeno killed the itch!! So yeah, I hope to be able to find something that has oatmeal in it that is gluten-free.

#27 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

can you just oats?? McCains oats are from Ireland and are considered not CCd.

What does "can you just oats??" mean? Lol I'm talking about hand lotion or cream to help with my severely intensely itchy psoriasis or whatever it is. :) The colloidal oatmeal really helps with the severe itching.

#28 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

What does "can you just oats??" mean? Lol I'm talking about hand lotion or cream to help with my severely intensely itchy psoriasis or whatever it is. :) The colloidal oatmeal really helps with the severe itching.

Oatmeal never helped mine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't help you. I used generic Aveeno packets as a body scrub - I'd pour it on my hand and scrub all over. For years. Go figure. I've never heard of a certified gluten-free oat cosmetic product.

Anyway, to stop the itching the best thing for me was ice packs. I use Vanicream and it works miracles as far as staying on the skin and moisturizing, which leads to decreased itching. I'd also add a layer of Vaseline at the worst times to stop the sores from cracking. Coconut oil is probably a good alternative. I used jojoba oil for a long time; however, it seemed to burn the sores a bit at times. I had to repeat applications of whatever i used several times a day, especially when the blisters swelled and popped. Others have luck with topical numbing creams (never tried it but would if I had another flare). Lots of hints on the DH board.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#29 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Hmm those sound like good ideas! Thanks!! Right now I'm having severe itching in certain spots on my right hand. I've already torn the skin open (GRR) so now it's going to burn with whatever I put on it. Then it'll scab over, blah blah you know how that goes. So I think I might look into numbing creams. Do you have any specific recommendations for those? I'm not even sure I know where to look for such products. I know there is anbesol and orajel for the mouth but I'm not sure I've heard of actual creams for skin.

#30 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Look on the DH board. I think it's generic walgreen's brand - whatever it is.

I would use ice packs when it was at the worst. Helped reduce swelling and pain and itch. Vaseline would stick to the skin when it was cracking and weeping. I hated that stage. Hurt to move.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: