22 replies to this topic

#16 rockectman

rockectman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Has anyone here suffered from vertigo attacks triggered by gluten? I have had to go gluten free because gluten caused vertigo attacks.
thanks,
Rick

I have Meniere's and Celiac, both auto-immune diseases. I am convinced that consuming gluten causes my meniere's to be worse as my vertigo is more of a balance, sea-sickness type of vertigo. Also my ears hurt really bad after a dose
of gluten and nausea, bathroom trips, cramps, headaches, brain fog, irritability, depression all get worse.
Meniere's disease is when the sac's in the inner ear is attacked by your own anti-bodies and become swollen,
fluid leaks out and in my case pain. You also can feel like a trickle of fluid running down your ear canal sometimes.
Very strange feeling. Anyway, verigo has many different definitions to people. I hope yours gets better, mine never
completely goes away, just some days are better than others.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tessamum

tessamum

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

Wow! Now listen to this: I have alopecia areata, asthma, meniere's disease....now possibly celiac disease...good grief i say. I have been gluten free 3-4 days now and feel heaps better. I am now just waiting it out to see if any of my above conditions will imprrove while off gluten. One of my issues were heartburn, thats getting lots better now, i still get this burp 1-2 hours after a meal, but nowhere near as burning as it has been before gluten was removed from my diet. I don't wanna go and get tested for Celiac as it sounds awful. So I will just eliminate gluten and see how i go. Did I mention I also have anxiety and depression? I am so over feeling so foggy and tired all the time...time to find a cure I say.

#18 Molly Stone

Molly Stone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Has anyone here suffered from vertigo attacks triggered by gluten? I have had to go gluten free because gluten caused vertigo attacks.
thanks,
Rick

Hi There, I have been having Vertigo since the end of December. At that time I thought it was from my sinius's But now I have had the Blood test for Celiac and it came back abnormal. I will now need to do the bio in order to see if it is confirmed. I am 60f, my mother had Celiac. I have never had any symptoms until this Vertigo started. I had a bought of Vertigo 16 years ago, but it went away and never came back until now.I have always been on a moderate gulten free diet, the only thing that I have done different is eat oats more often. 20 years ago when I lived in Europe I ate wheat all the time. So yes it could be that Gulten triggered my attacks. But I also have bad sinius problems, which could be from the Gluten.I am glad to read that other people have had this problem. But Sorry at the same time. I wish that everyone on this blog feels better.

#19 UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

I was coeliac first and now I have meniere's. I have not been gluten free for any substantial amount of time and am falsely hoping my hearing loss and vertigo will go when I get gluten-free

#20 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

"Falsely" hoping? I was having daily multiple vertigo episodes before finally going 100% gluten-free and it's never happened again.
You're not gluten-free yet? You may be amazed at how many things get better off gluten.

Also I swear both my sight & hearing got better after 100% gluten-free.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#21 lostnaphotograph

lostnaphotograph

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

If you're just talking about dizziness... that's the first symptom I have if I've had something with gluten. A dizzy, disorientation in the head that makes things feel like they're moving (usually rotationally) when they're not. For me, it only lasts 15-30 minutes, and happens 15-30 minutes after I first ingest the offending substance, but it sure ain't fun. (I describe it to friends as something like the feeling of being drunk, without it being funny in any way whatsoever.)

I had this problem pretty much throughout all of my childhood. I was diagnosed with Celaics at age 15 (I'm now 21) and the dizziness has since then stopped, but I used to get that all the time and it never stopped until I was diagnosed. It was awful!!

#22 MissyShelle

MissyShelle

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I get dizzy too, really bad. I'm glad to find out if may be connected to Gluten since the doctor's had no idea why I had it. I'm waiting on blood tests. Once I'm done with testing, I'm looking forward to going gluten free to see if it helps with all of my symptoms. 

#23 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

I found a link about vertigo. www.livingwithout.com issues/4/12ataxia2366-1.html?pg2 I couldn't figure out how to get there with the click on information, but I searched the sight for ataxia and found the article.

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: