#1 jhol

jhol

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

please bakers i need your help,

does anyone have any really easy recipes for flatbread, tortilla, or pittas- im not really bothered about baking a proper loaf. just need something dead quick and easy.

im rubbish at baking and just bought some different flours, got rice,brown rice, maize, chickpea and the baking powder and stuff. the only thing is -no eggs, ive read that you can use apple sauce as a replacement.

any ideas welcome lol- i just need something that remotely resembles bread!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Wraps:

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup water or milk

2 Tbsp flax moistened (I haven't tried it without eggs)

dash salt

warm fry pan.

Add butter or oil

Add some batter and tip if you want it spread thin.

Toast lightly on each side.

Eat.

It takes about 5 minutes.

Other idea look for grainless muffins on the internet.  I make mine with nut flour I make in a food processor.  It satisfies my bread craving.

Diana

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

She can't do eggs.   :unsure:

Okay, do you have available, as an egg substitute, some flaxseed ground up, or some chia seed that you can soak in water, or some plain, gluten free unsweetened psyllium ?   Otherwise can you find gluten free buckwheat (you can grind buckwheat seeds in a coffee grinder to make flour) or gluten free tapioca or gluten free amaranth or quinoa ?  All of these "sticky" type flour ingredients can be used as part of egg substitutes in gluten free baking. 

Gluten free flatbread pancake

3 heaping tablespoons gluten free flours (preferably straight buckwheat, or  1/2 buckwheat 1/2 other "sticky" type of gluten freee flour, or 1/3 each buckwheat, chickpea, potato starch)

pinch salt

pinch baking soda

some chia seed soaked in a little cold water is better for this, about a teaspoon of chia to a tablespoon of water, to make a "gel" 

1/2 teaspoon vinegar

enough water to make a pancake type batter of the above

optional spices (a pinch of cumin is nice) 

tablespoon oil, preferably olive oil

mix the above ingredients, adding enough water to make a thick batter,  then cook in oil in a hot pan, makes 2 small or one big flatbread  

#4 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

i forgot i did buy buckwheat and quinoa

,but i,ll have to google chia seeds- im sure they,ll sell them at holland and barretts(wholefoods shop) i bought a ready made tortilla mix to try.it made 2 tortillas (did half the mix) im absolutely stuffed now lol think the mix was a little bit too thick but what i really need is a good non stick pan if im gonna be making my own recipes.

thanks for the ideas..

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

The best skillet for breads is usually a well-seasoned cast iron that you can use stove top or in the oven at high temps.  I use mine for everything from roasting chicken to biscuits to cornbread to buns to cinnamon rolls to scallion pancakes to tortillas...

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: