11 replies to this topic

#1 Joe0123

Joe0123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Saw some of their donuts at a grocery store and looked up their website, they seem to have a wide variety of baked goods.  I'm a bit worried to try them because some of their products have oats and I react to oats in the same way I react to gluten, even allegedly gluten-free oats.  So I'm wondering, has anyone else tried their products?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

I also react to gluten-free oats like gluten.  I found that even back when I was less sensitive and able to eat more processed foods, I had to avoid foods processed in facilities that also processed gluten free oats.

#3 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

It's really annoying because so many gluten-free companies use oats.  Is it something with the proteins in oats that causes a gluten-like reaction, or is it that oats are basically impossible to be gluten-free because of where and how they are grown?

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

i think it's because of where they are grown and where they are processed are also commonly where wheat is grown and processed..  i have a whole package of bob's <gluten free> and i love oatmeal but have been afraid to try them.  one of these days..... :)  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Why don't some of you contact Katz.  Perpaps some of their products are produced on dedicated equipment, without oats.   It's worth the call. :D

Edited by Lisa, 22 April 2013 - 05:03 PM.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Ordinary commercially grown oats are almost certainly contaminated with wheat. Some samples have tested over 1000 ppm (we debate the safety of 20 ppm here frequently).

Some people with celiac disease react to even pure oats, but many can tolerate pure oats. After being oat-free for over ten years, I tried Bob's Red Mill pure oats last year. I have had not adverse effects, and they are a good source of fiber. I eat them about once a week.

The only way to learn whether you are sensitive to oats is to try them while not adding anything else to your diet for a few days in each direction.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

But, just try a tiny bit the first time!

#8 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

To reiterate what psawyer said, it's possible that the protein in oats causes you problems and/or it's also very likely oats have wheat/other gluten grain cc in them.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#9 Sharone

Sharone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

I love the Katz products and did call them to inquire about the oats issue and they confirmed that they oat products are produced on dedicated equipment so i was glad to hear that, i am highly allergic to Oats and have had no problems with their products, I Love their Rugelech, Challah Bread and Donuts.

#10 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

I love the Katz products and did call them to inquire about the oats issue and they confirmed that they oat products are produced on dedicated equipment so i was glad to hear that, i am highly allergic to Oats and have had no problems with their products, I Love their Rugelech, Challah Bread and Donuts.

So their oat products are produced away from their other products?  That's good to know.  I may have to give them a try.  I'll go crazy if I don't find some donuts I can handle!!!

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Have you tried Kinnikinnick?  They are made in a gluten free facility.  They don't even let their workers bring in lunch.  I used to eat them before my symptoms got the better of me.

They test to 5 ppm according to Jane Anderson: http://celiacdisease...ot-Dog-Buns.htm

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

FWIW, I have tried the Katz products and have had no issues whatsoever. 

I just do not need to have them around while I try to lose some of the weight I gained post-DX, however. :lol:

Their products are very good.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: