Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Katz Gluten Free Products

12 posts in this topic

Saw some of their donuts at a grocery store and looked up their website, they seem to have a wide variety of baked goods.  I'm a bit worried to try them because some of their products have oats and I react to oats in the same way I react to gluten, even allegedly gluten-free oats.  So I'm wondering, has anyone else tried their products?

Ads by Google:

I also react to gluten-free oats like gluten.  I found that even back when I was less sensitive and able to eat more processed foods, I had to avoid foods processed in facilities that also processed gluten free oats.

It's really annoying because so many gluten-free companies use oats.  Is it something with the proteins in oats that causes a gluten-like reaction, or is it that oats are basically impossible to be gluten-free because of where and how they are grown?

i think it's because of where they are grown and where they are processed are also commonly where wheat is grown and processed..  i have a whole package of bob's <gluten free> and i love oatmeal but have been afraid to try them.  one of these days..... :)  

Why don't some of you contact Katz.  Perpaps some of their products are produced on dedicated equipment, without oats.   It's worth the call. :D

Edited by Lisa

Ordinary commercially grown oats are almost certainly contaminated with wheat. Some samples have tested over 1000 ppm (we debate the safety of 20 ppm here frequently).

Some people with celiac disease react to even pure oats, but many can tolerate pure oats. After being oat-free for over ten years, I tried Bob's Red Mill pure oats last year. I have had not adverse effects, and they are a good source of fiber. I eat them about once a week.

The only way to learn whether you are sensitive to oats is to try them while not adding anything else to your diet for a few days in each direction.

But, just try a tiny bit the first time!

To reiterate what psawyer said, it's possible that the protein in oats causes you problems and/or it's also very likely oats have wheat/other gluten grain cc in them.

I love the Katz products and did call them to inquire about the oats issue and they confirmed that they oat products are produced on dedicated equipment so i was glad to hear that, i am highly allergic to Oats and have had no problems with their products, I Love their Rugelech, Challah Bread and Donuts.

I love the Katz products and did call them to inquire about the oats issue and they confirmed that they oat products are produced on dedicated equipment so i was glad to hear that, i am highly allergic to Oats and have had no problems with their products, I Love their Rugelech, Challah Bread and Donuts.

So their oat products are produced away from their other products?  That's good to know.  I may have to give them a try.  I'll go crazy if I don't find some donuts I can handle!!!

Have you tried Kinnikinnick?  They are made in a gluten free facility.  They don't even let their workers bring in lunch.  I used to eat them before my symptoms got the better of me.

They test to 5 ppm according to Jane Anderson: http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/GlutenFreeBreadProducts/tp/Gluten-Free-Hamburger-Buns-Hot-Dog-Buns.htm

FWIW, I have tried the Katz products and have had no issues whatsoever. 

I just do not need to have them around while I try to lose some of the weight I gained post-DX, however. :lol:

Their products are very good.