This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Discontinued Taking Tylenol, Want To Start Paleo

CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow Collaborator

Folks,

I thought I'd stopped ingesting anything with soy but I was terribly wrong. Somehow we ended up with a lot of soy products in our house. In addition, I found out Tylenol has stearic acid which is a derivative of soy. It also dawned on me that Tylenol is full of chemicals (duh!). This must be the benefit to having a clearer mind. I've been on a steady stream of over-the-counter painkillers for over 10 years :(. How could I have missed this?

Having been off of Tylenol for a few days now, I can tell you that it is disconcerting to actually feel everything that's going on in my body. My husband tells me that I am definitely improving. When I consider that, at one time, I was in bed most days, I would have to agree. The sensations in my body are distressing, but I know it's good to be fully aware of how our bodies react to things.

Yesterday I cooked with coconut oil and reacted to that. I've noticed in the past that my stomach feels funny after having coconut and I don't know if it's because it's a nut (I can't eat nuts) or if it's something else. Coconut doesn't make me break out like other nuts do so I thought maybe I could get away with eating it. It is causing neurological symptoms. Either that, or I'm just feeling the symptoms more now because I'm off of the Tylenol. Needless to say, today I'll be buying ghee.

Anyway, I'd like to know more about the Paleo diet. Does anyone have a good cookbook they can recommend? I'm no longer eating gluten-free products, nuts, corn, soy, gluten or dairy. Also, any suggestions on easy to grab foods would be helpful (like bananas). Today, I am replacing coffee with green tea.

It's a good thing I was completely ignorant of what this process would entail when I took up the gluten-free banner. It is a crazy ride. All I can say is, my poor body and the abuse it took while I was weak and gullible enough to rely on my dreamteam of doctors who know NOTHING about Celiac! My husband wants me to find a doctor in Functional Medicine. They seem to be all about environmental toxins, food and autoimmune diseases.

This turned out to be more of a blurt. Any help with Paleo easy to grab foods would be appreciated. It's always helpful to hear others' experiences with all of this.

These learning curves are making me weary. At least I'm on the road though.

Cali

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CaliSparrow Collaborator

I just went through Tylenol withdrawal. I was taking the recommended dosage & my doctor told me I could do that safely for life. BS!!!!

Yesterday I gave up coffee too but today, I'm drinking my java.

Alwayssomething Contributor

We have a great Paleo Book that we enjoy a lot, it is called Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield.   I have a website I just made the BEST cake I have ever eaten, it is Open Original Shared Link.   Also I like a website called punchfork, on this webstie you can choose your diet type (glueten free, vegitarian, paleo) and it will search the world wide web for any reciepe that fits that diet type. 

CaliSparrow Collaborator

We have a great Paleo Book that we enjoy a lot, it is called Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield.   I have a website I just made the BEST cake I have ever eaten, it is Open Original Shared Link.   Also I like a website called punchfork, on this webstie you can choose your diet type (glueten free, vegitarian, paleo) and it will search the world wide web for any reciepe that fits that diet type. 

Hey thanks AlwaysSomething! I will check these out :-)

Kate79 Apprentice

I'm doing the Whole30 diet right now, which is a really strict version of paleo - no dairy, legumes, sugar, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, white potatoes, grains of any type or manufactured oils (olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats like lard, and ghee are ok - things like canola, soybean, sunflower are not).  They've got a book - but I've mostly been using the website, which has a big forum and a lot of recipe ideas.  They also have a special autimmune protocol version of the diet, which eliminates nuts, eggs and nightshades (I think) in addition to the above.

Website is here: Open Original Shared Link

Mark's Daily Apple is a good resource for paleo stuff as well.  He does allow dairy, so watch out for that in the recipes.  But he's got a lot of good information and a ton of recipes you can download for free: Open Original Shared Link

I don't snack much anymore, but I always keep stuff at work in case I need it - extra fruit, a bag of nuts (I know you can't have these - but maybe pumpkin seeds or something like that?) - I keep a lot of canned fish around, especially sardines, which I eat right out of the can - dried fruit, homemade vegetable chips, chopped up vegetables, avocados, hard-boiled eggs, etc. are all good options too.

CaliSparrow Collaborator

Thank you very much.

Archived