4 replies to this topic

#1 jesimae

jesimae

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Saw my GI doc yesterday, and he wants me to see a surgeon for fundoplication. I am doing very well with my diet. Scope was good. Markers down, but I still have horrible reflux! I sleep almost straight up, take 60 mg of prilosec and many tums throughout the day. I've tried prevacid, nexium, and carafate. They either did nothing or had really bad side effects.

At first I was excited at the prospect. Until I read the statistics, risks, etc. Inability to burp or vomit? That is really scary to me. Difficulty swallowing, paralytic pileus? 6 wk recovery? 10-20 lb weight loss (okay, that part I can deal with). Irreversible. May not work.

Anyone have this done? Advice, please.
Jessica
Dx: Celiac Disease, Epilepsy
Meds: Depakote, Celexa, Prilosec, Levsin, Zofran, Meclizine

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

My GERD was not able to be controlled by medications. I became intolerent to them. So then, i stopped taking them. A year has passed and now its to the point where, while i get something every day, it is managable via tums, water or food. I cannot sleep without my incline pillow.

It was quite bad. Now it is mainly controlled by my diet. No greasy, fatty, rich, or spicey.

Have you had your gallbladder checked? I've heard that it can cause it. Another thing that might be causing it is you may have a low level of stomach acid. I've heard of that doing it as well.

I would explore other options at this point.

#3 Marlie

Marlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

Have you had 24 hour impedence ph probe or a barium study?  These tests will tell you alot about your GERD.  My daughter had a Nissen and its a good thing she did.   She was refluxing all the time and it wasn't just acidic on all medications used to control GERD.  At the time she was Gluten free, Grain Free, and Dairy Free.  She only ate about five foods and still was vomiting every time something entered her stomach.  She had a structural abnormality and no medicine would work or would ever have.  She had it done robotically with very little scarring.  Would I make the same decision again?  Yes, absolutely.  

#4 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hi, I am doing everything I am supposed to do.  Yesterday, I went to lunch with my hubby, and I was having a salad, not a speck of bread around us, or cheese anywhere.  Everything should have been good for me.  I used oil and vinegar dressing.  Drank water.  Had blood work done that morning, so not even my 1 cup of coffee for the day was had.  I was clean, inside.  My esophagus closed up on me with the first bite.  I had to stand up and try to walk it off, I was trying to stay calm and breath, through my nose, and calm it all down.  I thought I would burp and it would pass, no I had to spit it up in the bathroom, twice, before I was over it.  Then I went back and when the trembling passed, I was able to eat.  WHAT happened?  Was it a cc reaction?  Is that my Esophagitis flaring up, but why, what did I do wrong?  Before being Gluten Free this used to happen a lot, it stopped when I gave up gluten foods.  My Endoscopy dx has me with Grade 2 Esophagitis, Chronic Inactive Gastritis, Peptic Duodenitis, Hiatal Hernia, Gastric PH 1. Gluten Intolerant/Sensitive as no Celiac Sprue was found. Guess I need to list these things in signature huh.  

I  am not using the prilosec the doctor wanted me to use nore the gaviscon, they did not make sense.  Trying Betaine HCl and its working, the Prilosec was not.  Tried the Gaviscon as well and it just made symptoms come back again, so no Gaviscon either.  I may try the slippery elm. 

Anyway, any ideas are welcome, as I do not want this to happen again.  It hurts, terribly, if I can avoid it, I will.  Scale of 1-10 pain 8

I posted this in two areas looking for answers, I hope someone can offer something.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#5 Marlie

Marlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

Hi, I am doing everything I am supposed to do.  Yesterday, I went to lunch with my hubby, and I was having a salad, not a speck of bread around us, or cheese anywhere.  Everything should have been good for me.  I used oil and vinegar dressing.  Drank water.  Had blood work done that morning, so not even my 1 cup of coffee for the day was had.  I was clean, inside.  My esophagus closed up on me with the first bite.  I had to stand up and try to walk it off, I was trying to stay calm and breath, through my nose, and calm it all down.  I thought I would burp and it would pass, no I had to spit it up in the bathroom, twice, before I was over it.  Then I went back and when the trembling passed, I was able to eat.  WHAT happened?  Was it a cc reaction?  Is that my Esophagitis flaring up, but why, what did I do wrong?  Before being Gluten Free this used to happen a lot, it stopped when I gave up gluten foods.  My Endoscopy dx has me with Grade 2 Esophagitis, Chronic Inactive Gastritis, Peptic Duodenitis, Hiatal Hernia, Gastric PH 1. Gluten Intolerant/Sensitive as no Celiac Sprue was found. Guess I need to list these things in signature huh.  

I  am not using the prilosec the doctor wanted me to use nore the gaviscon, they did not make sense.  Trying Betaine HCl and its working, the Prilosec was not.  Tried the Gaviscon as well and it just made symptoms come back again, so no Gaviscon either.  I may try the slippery elm. 

Anyway, any ideas are welcome, as I do not want this to happen again.  It hurts, terribly, if I can avoid it, I will.  Scale of 1-10 pain 8

I posted this in two areas looking for answers, I hope someone can offer something.

You might try getting a 24 hour PH impendence probe to check your refluxing.  Medications did not work for my child.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerd, fundoplication, gerd surgery, reflux surgery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: