31 replies to this topic

#1 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I've been on this list for a long time but life has been very crazy (both good and bad) and I've been gluten-free for a long long time now so "mostly" I have it down pat.

Last night I had made a salad for dinner.  It was made with bagged lettuce.  A variety of cut up veggies.  I cooked a plain chicken breast and put some McCormick "new" Southwest Seasonings blend on the chicken.  For a salad dressing I used Hidden Valley Ranch.

The salad dressing says Gluten free right on the label.  I've never had a problem with McCormick spices (but I don't usually use blends either) and the label looks fine on this one.

Immediately after I ate the salad I started getting sick with classic (for me at any rate) symptoms, gassy, pain, slightly dizzy, runs.  6 hours after dinner I was still having the runs (sorry for being graphic).  I woke up this morning ok but slow, physically and mentally.

I guess the question here is has anyone had any problems with any of these products?  Could the bagged salad have been bad, these symptoms are not unlike food poisoning either (but I think that usually comes with barfing and I didn't do that)?

I'm ready to throw out the salad dressing and spice because I'm afraid to eat them again, I hate getting glutened.  So I guess before I do toss them I'm trying to figure out if there was another reason for getting sick.

I'd like to add that my entire house is gluten-free and has been for ages.  None of my cooking things, cutting boards or knives have been used with gluten.  So I don't believe it has anything to do with cross contamination.

Thanks for any insight or ideas.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I just checked out McCormick's website and I must say, they have a very user UNfriendly site. It's mostly recipes and not a lot of info. There is no FAQ, and when I typed gluten into their searchbox it cam up empty.

That being said, I know that seasonings MAY contain gluten. It gives a list of spices that are in it, but doesn't mention anything else. I suppose you could write or call them to find out.

Hidden Valley? I don't know. I can't use any salad dressings because they all contain either corn or soy, both of which I am intolerant to. But if it says gluten-free, it might truly BE gluten-free. (I know some products wearing that label are not.)

Maybe it was the lettuce? Lettuce has been known to have e. coli. Not sure if vomiting is always one of the symptoms. But if everybody else ate it and you are the only one who got sick that's probably not it.

I would say it is probably either the seasoning or maybe just that stomach bug that has been going aroud.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I thought about the lettuce too... it looked fresh but who knows.  I'm leaning toward the seasoning.   Thanks for your thoughts!  :)

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

The McCormick spices and seasonings should be fine. I have yet to find a McCormick seasoning that does contain gluten and their labeling policy keeps there from being an issue. If it has gluten, it will be clearly disclosed on the label. You'll find that not only me, but a fair number of people may chime in saying the same thing. I have seen many people say over and over that they trust McCormick and they are my go to brand.

http://mccormick.cus...WQvRFJEdnNRbWw=

I can't speak for the dressing at all as it has ingredients that keep me from being able to have it. (Which has nothing to do with gluten.) I do know that before these things became an issue I heard they were going to begin labeling things gluten free. 

If your house isn't gluten free the issue could be entirely unrelated to what you ate and instead be a CC issue.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 Colleeney

Colleeney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Actually I learned all McCormick spices are gluten free except some of their blends so I've been creating my own blends. They usually mark very clearly if there is gluten which is why I only use McCormick. That said I too have questioned the packaged salads. There's no proof but I wonder if they do something to try to protect freshness. I feel for you as I sit with my heating pad as the stuffed leg of lamb the Whole Foods butcher assured me was gluten free......NOT. Sigh,

The McCormick spices and seasonings should be fine. I have yet to find a McCormick seasoning that does contain gluten and their labeling policy keeps there from being an issue. If it has gluten, it will be clearly disclosed on the label. You'll find that not only me, but a fair number of people may chime in saying the same thing. I have seen many people say over and over that they trust McCormick and they are my go to brand.

http://mccormick.cus...WQvRFJEdnNRbWw=

I can't speak for the dressing at all as it has ingredients that keep me from being able to have it. (Which has nothing to do with gluten.) I do know that before these things became an issue I heard they were going to begin labeling things gluten free. 

If your house isn't gluten free the issue could be entirely unrelated to what you ate and instead be a CC issue.

#6 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Ugh, I feel for you with the leg of lamb thing.  Stuffed don't do it.   I got better fairly quickly so I am leaning away from food poisoning. I think it has a longer sick time then what I had.  And usually with gluten I get sick for days, unless the dose was super tiny.  I was still funky yesterday and feel a little mentally out of it today but... I still felt better then I usually do with a glutening.  So maybe it was the spice... and I just got a little bit of gluten.  I'm giving it away to a friend so I'm not going to try it again to find out.

My gluten hangover cure starts as soon as I know I've been glutened.  I start by drink a lot of water.  I take a couple of probiotic pills right away.  Then I have very high fat vanilla ice cream.  Don't ask me why but something about the cold and I feel like the high fat content does something to my insides that not only makes me feel better but shortens the amount of time I feel better.  (or maybe it's my excuse to eat ice cream).  More water until I go to sleep, 2 more probiotics (the dosage is 1 per day but I've been told they can't hurt  you). 

Oh and someone said it could be CC.  My house is totally gluten-free including my dog's food.  This is a new house for me, (I've been here 5 months). First I had a cleaning company come in and totally scrub it down, I directed them in the kitchen.  Then the next day I did the kitchen again.  I've not had any problems with any CC since I've been here.  None of my pots, pans, crock pot, utensils have ever been used with gluten.

Next morning I do the same thing, water, probiotics, ice cream and toast.  For me this really does shorten my sick time.  Thanks for the info, I wish I knew for sure.

Susan

#7 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Could there by MSG in the seasoning blend?  My mom reacts very strongly to MSG, and in some ways it mimics a glutening (though shorter term).

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

I can't speak for that specific seasoning blend, but can say none of the ones I use have MSG. I can say nearly for certain though that the dressing has it. Almost every dressing on the market has MSG in it, and that one does for sure. I do also see a fair number of people saying they get gluten type symptoms from MSG.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Really?  Gluten symptoms with MSG... interesting.  is MSG contaminated with gluten or what?  I know a lot of people have very serious sensitivities to MSG.  I have always tried to buy food without it  but I've never really noticed a problem before.  I'll have to pay closer attention.  Thanks!

#10 Aprilelayne

Aprilelayne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Not celiac or gluten related, but it sounds very similar to my reactions to bagged salads.

I have chalked it up to it being the preservative they use to maintain freshness inside the bags that I react so strongly to.

I can chop a head of lettuce or use romaine leaves/spring mixes or what not without any problems. But the bagged 'fresh express' or pre-rinsed ready-to-go type  bags will get me everytime.  Its the same with most fast-food type packaged salads.

(Texas)

Self: IBS and lactose intolerant, undiagnosed further.
DD (24months): 10/2012 - "Functional Diarrhea"

3/2013 - soy allergy confirmed

#11 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hmmmm very interesting I'll have to keep an eye on this.  It's always something!    :unsure:

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Do you have any trouble with corn? I ask because most bagged salads are washed in a citrus wash, and that citrus comes from corn.

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

The MSG thing has nothing to do with being gluten contaminated or gluten anything. It also isn't restricted to the gluten free community. It isn't out of the ordinary at all for MSG to make people sick in a variety of ways, just one more thing to look out for. As celiacs and the gluten intolerant there is a tendency to automatically assume when we get sick that the culprit was gluten, but this is not always the case, not even when the symptoms seem similar.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

I just looked up "vegetable wash". I found only one for "industrial" uses. The site willnot disclose the ingredients but it sounds pretty scary to me. It can disolve oild and waxes, it is not to be taken internally, and the container must be disposed of properly.

http://www.webstaura.../102VEGWASH.pdf

#15 SBlack

SBlack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

I have a question regarding this topic.  Last night I made a salad with bagged lettuce - and got pretty sick.  Pain in my stomach, reflux, very nauseas - for most of the night.  I used Italian Wish-bone dressing, which says right on it that it's gluten free.  Would it be the lettuce?  I have used the bagged lettuce before and have felt a little sick after I ate it but last night I opened a new bag.  Anyone else have this problem?? 

Thank you!

SBlack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: