31 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

I have a question regarding this topic.  Last night I made a salad with bagged lettuce - and got pretty sick.  Pain in my stomach, reflux, very nauseas - for most of the night.  I used Italian Wish-bone dressing, which says right on it that it's gluten free.  Would it be the lettuce?  I have used the bagged lettuce before and have felt a little sick after I ate it but last night I opened a new bag.  Anyone else have this problem?? 

Thank you!

SBlack

I use the packaged lettuces often.  When I first went gluten-free, I had a hard time digesting with some of the raw "lettuces" and spinach.  I can eat them now.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

It is possible that a particular type of lettuce in a salad blend doesn't agree with you. Or that something in the dressing doesn't agree with you. It is also possible (even though it is a rare occurrence with how many are sold every day) that bagged salads could be contaminated with some sort of bacteria. I eat bagged salads without concern, I have no desire to wash and dry my own lettuce as a general rule. I already spend a lot of time on food prep and cooking and if I can save time there I will. I'm not worried about getting sick from one of the rare listeria or e. coli outbreaks or something from my salad.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#18 CommonTater

CommonTater

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

I hope you recoup soon, I know how bad it is when we get glutened.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#19 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I haven't had a salad in two years. Of course I won't eat one in a restaurant for fear of CC, and I can't eat bagged salads because of the corn-based citrus wash they use. Living alone, it is a waste to buy a whole head of lettuce that I can't use up before it goes bad.

When I first started (before the corn intolerance hit me), salads gave me D. I'm not sure if it was CC, corn, or just that my system couldn't handle them back then. I suspect the latter, but who knows? Maybe someday I can find someone who will split salad ingredients with me and I can find out.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#20 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I haven't had a salad in two years. Of course I won't eat one in a restaurant for fear of CC, and I can't eat bagged salads because of the corn-based citrus wash they use. Living alone, it is a waste to buy a whole head of lettuce that I can't use up before it goes bad.

When I first started (before the corn intolerance hit me), salads gave me D. I'm not sure if it was CC, corn, or just that my system couldn't handle them back then. I suspect the latter, but who knows? Maybe someday I can find someone who will split salad ingredients with me and I can find out.

People getting sick from eating salad greens is in the news fairly often it seems to me.  Not people with celiac disease, but just people in general.  There have been repeated instances of contamination of vegetables making people sick.  I don't know if that's what happened of course, but it wouldn't be a big surprise.  This consumer reports story is a couple years old, but it points out the problems.

http://www.consumerr...salad/index.htm

What you can do
  • Buy packages as far from their use-by date as you can find.
  • Even if the bag says "prewashed" or "triple-washed," wash the greens yourself. Rinsing won't remove all bacteria but may remove residual soil.
  • Prevent cross contamination by keeping greens away from raw meat. For more information, go to www.ConsumersUnion.org/safefood.

@Bartful,

I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash.  Citrus is fruit.  Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus.  Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash?  That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus.  Citrus doesn't come from corn.  Corn is not fruit, it is a grain.  Sorry if I am misunderstanding.  It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#21 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I only buy organic and I put a little vinegar in a bowl with water to wash it, then i rinse it good and use my spinner. I never get sick doing this.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#22 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

"I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash. Citrus is fruit. Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus. Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash? That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus. Citrus doesn't come from corn. Corn is not fruit, it is a grain. Sorry if I am misunderstanding. It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)"

Actually, citrus CAN and usually IS derived from corn. :angry: It is much cheaper than citrus fruit, so usually that is what they use. I even checked the ingredients list of the veggie wash they sell at my local grocery store and "ascorbic acid derived from corn" is one of the first ingredients listed. That's why I have to be so careful when reading labels. Not only do I have to look for "the usual suspects", but I have to look for things that MAY be derived from corn. And believe me, a LOT of things you would never suspect are corn based. And because corn is not one of the big eight, they don't have to tell you. I just assume corn until I contact the company and find out for sure.

#23 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I do this with greens some times too. Then I start asking myself if I'm going to end up with a problem to everything and starve!!!!!
Did you rinse the lettuce first? Maybe it's some spray they use on it....
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#24 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

@Bartful,

I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash.  Citrus is fruit.  Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus.  Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash?  That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus.  Citrus doesn't come from corn.  Corn is not fruit, it is a grain.  Sorry if I am misunderstanding.  It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)

I think maybe calling it a citrus wash is misleading (albeit unintentionally, of course).  As Barful explained later, lots of things have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in them.  Most of these are not derived from citrus fruits at all, but corn.  I don't know what makes corn such a great thing to produce vitamin C from, but apparently, given our crazy food machine, it is.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#25 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

"I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash. Citrus is fruit. Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus. Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash? That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus. Citrus doesn't come from corn. Corn is not fruit, it is a grain. Sorry if I am misunderstanding. It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)"

Actually, citrus CAN and usually IS derived from corn. :angry: It is much cheaper than citrus fruit, so usually that is what they use. I even checked the ingredients list of the veggie wash they sell at my local grocery store and "ascorbic acid derived from corn" is one of the first ingredients listed. That's why I have to be so careful when reading labels. Not only do I have to look for "the usual suspects", but I have to look for things that MAY be derived from corn. And believe me, a LOT of things you would never suspect are corn based. And because corn is not one of the big eight, they don't have to tell you. I just assume corn until I contact the company and find out for sure.

OK, I think we are just using different words.  You are saying citrus is derived from corn.  What I think you mean to say is ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is derived from corn.  That makes sense, since vitamin C can be processed from glucose.  Per the all-knowing Wiki that is.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Ascorbic_acid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus

I think maybe calling it a citrus wash is misleading (albeit unintentionally, of course).  As Barful explained later, lots of things have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in them.  Most of these are not derived from citrus fruits at all, but corn.  I don't know what makes corn such a great thing to produce vitamin C from, but apparently, given our crazy food machine, it is.

Agree, I think you are right TB.  I guess it's the abundance of corn that makes it a cheap source of glucose to make vitamin C from.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#26 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

You're right again, G F in DC (aka "Fartypants. :lol: ). I should have said citric ACID rather than citrus. Can I blame it on persistant brain fog? How about "not enough coffee"? Actually it's both, and it's chronic. :blink:  :lol:

#27 SBlack

SBlack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

ok everyone - thank you for your responses regarding the bagged lettuce.  I see here about the corn/citris wash - what's funny is that I am one who cannot tolerate corn - I got very sick eating it a few weeks ago. 

I want to make coleslaw for dinner and bought a bag of Dole classic coleslaw - it says preservative free and all natural.  Has anyone had trouble with the coleslaw before?  I bought it before I ate the bagged lettuce on Friday or else I would have just bought a head of cabbage...suggestions??

THANK YOU!!!!!

SBlack

#28 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I just looked it up on their website. It says it is "pre-washed", but of course unless something is one of the top eight allergens, they don't have to mention that it was used in processing. Corn is not one of the top eight, and "washing" is considered part of processing. Therefore they don't have to tell you WHAT they washed it with. Odds are though that they used a citric acid wash, and that wash was most likely corn based. I would give that bag away and buy a head of cabbage.

#29 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

You're right again, G F in DC (aka "Fartypants. :lol: ). I should have said citric ACID rather than citrus. Can I blame it on persistant brain fog? How about "not enough coffee"? Actually it's both, and it's chronic. :blink:  :lol:

Ah yes, those poor little brain frogs, they always get the blame!  :D  Now coffee, that's just brain frog fertilizer if you ask me. :)

Maybe some creatine will scare them away?

http://www.celiac.co...nd-vegetarians/

#30 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thanks, G F! I didn't read that thread because I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. But I DO still have a lot of brain fog. I'd be willing to bet I am vitamin deficient though. I can't find vitamins without SOMETHING in them that I can't have. I do know that before all the secondary intolerances hit I was taking a multi, plus lots of B12 and biotin. For a short time there I felt YOUNG!! My head was clearer than it's been since I was about 12, and I had SO much energy. I sure wish I could get back to that.

As it is, I am eating a sweet potato every day for the vitamins, some cheese (and ice cream) for calcium and a little bit of vitamin D, meat (usually chicken, but sometimes bison) for the B12, and eggs on occasion for the biotin. I know it's not enough. My head is getting foggier by the minute. A couple of weeks ago one of my "regulars" came into the shop and I mistook him for a former student whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I almost asked him how his wife was doing, but I couldn't remember her name. (It was a good thing!)  It wasn't until the guy had been there half an hour and shared some coffee with me that I finally realized it was Cliff and not Brent. Yeah, they Do look a bit alike, but I should have known! It really scared me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: