Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Newly Diagnosed Kids Should Get This Book!

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 PLGW2012

PLGW2012

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

My 8-year-old was diagnosed last month and I just want to recommend the book "Eating Gluten-Free with Emily". My daughter loves it and it has really helped me explain what's going on. It inspired her to be a "gluten detective", which has been very helpful when friends are offering snacks or my clueless husband offers something she can't eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TammyG

TammyG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

We also have an 8-year-old that was just diagnosed.  He thought that book was OK, but a little young.  We really liked The gluten-free Kid:  A Celiac Survival Guide.  We have a library copy.  I haven't found it online yet.  I'm afraid it is out of print since there are only used copies available on Amazon.

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Another kid's book is "Adam's Gluten free Surprise".

http://www.dsimpsonb....com/index.html

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 WildChild7655

WildChild7655

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

My 9 year old got diagonised in November 2012 just before her 9th birthday. I have been looking into stuff for her to read. She is very good about reading labels on her own now and looking for things that she can eat!! What other books are out there for her to read?

#5 HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thank you! I've been hunting up books other than "The Trouble that Jack had" for my children. Most are not available here, so I'm trying to figure out ways to afford the shipping to get them.

#6 Minette

Minette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

My daughter loves that book too. She was diagnosed a year ago at age 6 and it was perfect for her -- she still asks us to read it to her (or reads it to herself) frequently.

I also got The gluten-free Kid out of the library, but I think it was a little old for my daughter.

It seems odd that there aren't more choices, with the incidence of celiac skyrocketing like it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: