9 replies to this topic

#1 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm in need of a birthday cake recipe or good one I can substitute in.

Can haves:

-buckwheat flour

-eggs

-vegetables of any sort

-lard

-sugar

-baking soda

-spices

Can't haves:

-any other type of flour, including ground nuts

-non-chocolate preferred

-dairy

-grain-based oils

-baking powder

The only flour I have at my disposal is buckwheat. I usually wouldn't submit someone on their birthday to the strong flavor of buckwheat, but for who it's for, they'll probably like it, provided the recipe is a good one.

I've found a recipe involving nut flour that looks good, so I'll go scouring the 1 store left that I have for safe, whole nuts to grind, but I'm not crossing my fingers. Looking for non-nut cake ideas!

I've found a meringue topping requires shortening that I think I'll put lard in instead as an icing.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I use the King Arthur recipe for angel food cake, I'm not sure how well such a delicate cake would hold up to buckwheat flour but I suppose it would be worth a try. It is an excellent recipe to give a test run to by cutting in half. Also, when halved, the yolks left over are the perfect amount for Alton Brown's lemon curd for topping. I made this for Valentine's Day and Easter and plan to keep making it every excuse I get. (I do use a flour blend of brown rice, sorghum and.. idk, other crap that has xanthum gum in it I think.) It is a very small ratio of flour to eggs so it may not really have much if any impact on the flavor. If you make the whole recipe, the yolks are just enough to make it into a daffodil cake and the lemon curd.

http://www.kingarthu...ood-cake-recipe

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

There are also plenty of options besides cake. My grandfather is a pie lover and I know plenty of others who prefer pie for their birthdays. Pavlovas are amazing beyond compare and for a party can be made mini if you don't want to be cutting into a large one to serve a bunch of people.

If you want ice cream with your cake, freeze a few over ripe bananas. When it is time for cake and ice cream, throw the bananas, broken up, into a food processor, maybe with a few tablespoons of any milk or sub you use if you want it a little creamier, and you have a perfect ice cream. You don't need the milk though, and it is so good and simple you'll be surprised at how much like ice cream it really is. I was for sure.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Is coconut out?

What about beans? There are recipes using black beans/white beans to make cake.

Here's a recipe...have no idea if its any good...

http://themarathonmo...anilla-cake.htm
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Oooh, I forgot about beans! That bean recipe looks really good.... I'll see if I can find any white ones to soak. I'm still on the fence about canned beans, most brands I definitely wouldn't buy, but I might give eden organics a try.

I'll use coconut but not coconut flour or dried packaged coconut, or possibly some other form that I think I might have cc. (More and more I feel like I don't have other grain intolerances but rather am simply more sensitive to gluten-corn-only orville reddenbacker popcorn sans margarine seems to be safe...mild symptoms are so hard to figure out). I do have a fresh coconut sitting in my fridge (probably gone bad by now), but not sure I have the tools to grate it.

Man, if I get nuts I trust, and can just get the local bean farmer to not put some of the beans in milk bags (my parents did that all the time, never saw a plastic baggie at home), I can cook anything! (Well, I'm in the washing the beans for 10minutes stage right now, last try using those dried beans my tongue got pretty dry, prolly dairy residue. I'll just have to do better for now.)

#5 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

If you can have coconut, you can probably substitute rice flour for buckwheat flour.

http://www.celiac.co...colate-filling/

You can divide the dough in half, bake it in a round baking pan to make a birthday cake. You can also double the filling to have more for decorating. You can use any fruit on top, or just sprinkles. 

#6 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Unfortunately I don't use powdered sugar anymore either, has cornstarch in it. I've tried regular sugar and even superfine sugar in a blender, but it's just not fine enough.

I did make that bean cake and it's definitely a keeper, although it was far too moist...will use dried up cooked beans next time. Looked greasy, but it was just liquid.

#7 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Once I didn't have powdered sugar, so I tried to make one. I used my Ultimate chopper for that. That little chopper made superfine powdered sugar.  Later I tried to do that with the  Montel Williams Health master. Same results- very fine. If you have something similar at home, you can try again. In this cake you don't really have to have supper fine powdered sugar. You can use even Domino sugar. You just need to mix the egg's mixtures little longer. The result will be the same- great and easy cake. You can try it one day.  

#8 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

I found more recipes that are easy and very good. If you can't have something, just replace it with the similar thing, or ask me. I will help you with different option.

http://www.celiac.co...92&fromsearch=1

http://www.celiac.co...15&fromsearch=1

http://www.celiac.co...48&fromsearch=1

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Unfortunately I don't use powdered sugar anymore either, has cornstarch in it. I've tried regular sugar and even superfine sugar in a blender, but it's just not fine enough.

I did make that bean cake and it's definitely a keeper, although it was far too moist...will use dried up cooked beans next time. Looked greasy, but it was just liquid.

Try a cooked icing. Won't matter if its powdered or not.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

Have you considered non-cake items such as pavlova, panna cotta or creme brulee?  Or how about chocolate lava cake or flourless cakes?

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: