3 replies to this topic

#1 Kellie44

Kellie44

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

I am curious whether any connection is thought to exist between gestational diabetes in a mom carrying a baby prone to celiac disease. 

I do not have celiac disease, but I did have gestational diabetes with my second child (no problems with my first pregnancy).  The second child was diagnosed with celiac disease at 10 years of age.  This came as a surprise as we did not know of any history of celiac or food intolerances in our family.  Since our child's diagnosis, we have learned that my husband carries both the DQ2.2 and the DQ2.5 alleles, though he does not have celiac.

Anyone know about whether there's a connection between a mom with gestational diabetes (but not celiac) carrying a baby prone to celiac?  In other words, could the baby's gluten intolerance cause the mom to experience gestational diabetes?  Just curious. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BelleVie

BelleVie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

I don't have an answer for this question, but my mom had gestational diabetes with her first pregnancy, and maybe with me too, though I'm not sure. With my gluten intolerance/potential celiac and her history of stomach problems, I've been trying to persuade her to get tested, but she refuses. I'd love more info on this topic to show to her if anyone has any answers. 

#3 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'd be curious to know this too!!! I had GD... but I also am gluten intolerant (obviously since I am here)...

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#4 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I did not have GD, nor did my mum in any pregnancy but after my daughter being diagnosed coeliac at 7, we were all tested and she also has it but never knew it, probably because she didn't eat gluten foods often and when she did it was in the form of not very healthy food like pastries and things so she thought that's why she was sick, not the gluten.  But yep, it's the gluten!  Neither of my brother's has it either, but my nephew may.  He's 2 now.  His mother didn't have GD and there's no history of GD or coeliac in her family.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: