37 replies to this topic

#16 Bryan E

Bryan E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Thank you everybody for more advice. I don't have time to respond individually to everything right now but all I can say is I've been having an awful 3 days. Really, really bad. I lost 3 pounds which puts me at 132 pounds as a 6' male. That is not ok, and I am paying the price right now. I need to gain weight and I don't know how to do that while I am on this rotational diet. I had to eat eggs today even though it's only been 3 days because I didn't have anything in the house that I haven't eaten over the last 3 days. I'm extremely frustrated and more importantly very scared. I just want this to be over. Is there anything I can do? I don't know if I can count on my gut healing before I starve to death. Maybe I need to eat a bunch of red meat and olive oil to gain a few pounds and then try again with the rotational diet. I just can't keep doing this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 foam

foam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Bryan talk to me, have you had standard blood tests? white cell count? and general testing? is there anything abnormal showing up there?. Constant gut pain will show up as something abnormal, just a matter of finding it.

My guts burns constantly and has for years and years I'm 123 lbs and 5' 10" so you are not alone, my blood tests show massive and obvious errors so I know what I'm up against. I've been this weight for ages but haven't died yet. I'd bet eating a bulk ton of yogurt will stop your gut from hurting and it'll add a lot of calories to your diet. You can make it yourself from malt free soy milk of you can't handle dairy. Try it, try drink 1 litre per day and see if that helps. It'll cause you much less pain than sugary fruits I bet.

And if you have proven bacterial dysbiosis why aren't you taking a clean out antibiotic like I am at the moment, I'm only doing that on suspicion of bacterial overgrowth nothing proven but it's certainly not doing me any harm. I just ate gluten free brownies loaded with sugar just before while I can because I'm on the clean out and nooooo pain. It's quite good. Wont do that again though.. don't really want to encourage candida while I'm on these :).

Some times of bacterial overgrowth get worse with meat and oil... some with carbs.

#18 Bryan E

Bryan E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I actually have almost no pain, it's just the mind fog and anxiety that gets to me. Plus it sometimes feels like my throat is very constricted. Whether that is prompted by anxiety or causes the anxiety I don't know. I have had a multitude of tests done but nobody ever knew what they were looking for.

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling as well. My best goes out to you. Maybe I should try reintroducing dairy into my diet. Extra calories and more food options sounds like a good idea. My naturopath didn't mention anything about antibiotics, just gave me probiotics and told me not to eat sugar, the rest I have looked up on my own. How would I go about getting these antibiotics? I've also heard that sometimes they can do more harm than good, but it sounds like they are helping you.

I guess I should probably figure out which type of bacterial overgrowth I have, I just don't know how to do that. I'm sick of doctors but really just want to get better. I'll do some googling and see if there's any way to do that around here. Thank you very much for your help.

I am taking a mental health day today. I have a lot of course work that I need to be doing but I think I'll make the drive to go and visit my parents. I just need a break.

#19 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

My doctor says "we doctors don't know anything". It's the truth, they are only human like everyone else. Actually my doctor knows a lot, at least he knows leaky gut is real :) that's more than most. Um I'm taking metronidazole at the moment it's one of the usual drugs for bacterial overgrowth, it happens to kill a lot of small parasites that cause weird health problems too. I fully expect it to ruin my digestion for a few weeks, but I've become expert at bacteria re population so that doesn't worry me. Id say if you have no gut pain then skip the drugs and just eat!. it seems to me you've been following a very limited diet for a very long time, you are probably deficient in 90% of everything you bodies needs to work properly by now and with the leaky gut probably allergic to a lot of compounds in the things you have been eating. Being vegetarian for a long period doesn't help either, been there myself. I agree though meat doesn't seem to help (it is thought but it takes a loooooooong time to recover). I had very thin skin, most notable on the ridge of my nose where it was like paper or less!, since I've been eating meat the skin has thickened a lot despite not gaining weight, it's taking a while but it's getting thicker.. I assume the same thing will happen in my gut one day.

Tuna is good, not sure why, get out in the sun as naked as you can as you can for as long as you can. You can not underestimate the power of sunlight really. Just heating your blood on the surface of your skin can cure a lot of things let alone the vitamin D which is super important.

#20 Bryan E

Bryan E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Wow, at least you got a doctor who acknowledges that these problems are real. I'm on my 4th or 5th one now I think. Most of them just tried to push anti-depressants. So are you saying skip the rotational diet and just eat things? I was thinking about digging into this natural peanut butter but I already ate that for breakfast yesterday. I also have two cans of tuna in the house that I was going to try and wait 4 days to eat but maybe I should just soak em in some olive oil and go for it, with the peanut butter as well. 

I would love to get out in the sun but we just got snow last night with more on the way today and maybe even tomorrow I've heard. I did start back up on my probiotics and vitamins (including Vitamin D) today.

Edit: so I was reading the back of my recommend 4-day rotational diet by the food sensitivity lab and it says that the first few days of it I might feel worse because of the withdrawal process. Apparently it could be due to a "temporary excess of toxins while antigens are being withdrawn". Maybe I should stick with it longer and just find higher calorie foods to rotate. I'm also thinking about reintroducing dairy into my diet for the natural probiotics. I'm worried about it though. I tested negative for a casein sensitivity but I don't know about lactose. Maybe I should just try it anyway. I haven't ate dairy in a couple of years now. Maybe it could help.

Are lentils and beans a viable option? Or do those fall in the same category as starches/carbohydrates?

Edited by Bryan E, 10 April 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#21 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Well I wouldn't touch peanut butter in a fit!. Not advisable to eat near impossible to digest proteins like that with leaky gut. I'd avoid grains and nuts mostly. Legumes maybe, smash down things like cabbage, cabbage is the best. Eat lightly cooked meat at will. Roast a chicken... eat it. (don't lightly cook chicken :) but red meat digests better lightly cooked)

Try and mix a few carbs in with your meat as it'll help you gain weight. If you eat only fat and meat your body will be in ketosis and youll drop body fat weight like there's no tomorrow. When I started eating meat I lost 3 kilos in a week! and my body fat went from 12% to 8%. I was eating a whole roast chicken in fat soup..... Once your body goes into fat for fuel mode it'll take the fat on your body for fuel too. Better you eat some carbs with the meat instead. I'm a bit dodgy on potato and rice.. but I guess if you have to take one grain it should be rice and it's probably better long term than potato.

You can make things like fried tuna patties, use tuna and rice or tuna and potato with an egg to stick them all together. Things like that are a good deal for leaky gut, low carb, low sugar high calroies, lots of nutrients in the tuna etc. Don't forget the cabbage! eat tons of it.

#22 Bryan E

Bryan E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Ok. I'm going to the store to pick up a glutamine supplement and probably some chicken, cabbage, and maybe something else (yogurt?). So I can introduce carbs in the diet? I thought that they were no good for the bad bacteria but I guess I need to balance that with weight loss.

#23 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well you are eating _heaps_ of carbs now.. fruit, peas, chickpeas, nut / fruit bars, rice.

It's not like you are eating only veggies and meat, technically you should eat more like that for leaky gut, but then you don't have any real serious gut problems it seems. Don't be afraid to make yoghurt yourself its so easy and much less expensive.

#24 Bryan E

Bryan E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

I don't think I'm eating very much of those anymore. I cut out rice and most of the fruit. Snap peas on occasion still, no chickpeas, some nuts. I didn't know fruit and nuts had carbs in them. There's so much conflicting information out there it makes me want to scream sometimes. It's the biggest balancing act that I've ever seen. Very frustrating.

I'll post what I've eaten in the past few days if that helps at all. "Spices" refers to a blend of sea salt, rosemary, tarragon, garlic, white pepper, green peppercorns, crushed chili peppers, and cinnamon (store bought). I decided to start the rotational diet part way through Sunday.

Sunday:

1 Good Earth vitamin, 5000 IUs vitamin D

4 eggs fried in olive oil, hummus, 1 tomato, 1 jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper, hemp seed

1 Good Earth Vitamin

Snap peas

Broccoli with olive oil and salt

2 Handfuls of walnuts

1/2lb ground beef with spices

Monday:

Roasted brussel sprouts with coconut oil and spices

1 green bell pepper

1 glass peppermint tea

Salad - Arugula, olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, salt

1 handful pine nuts

1 can of tuna with olive oil and spices

1 banana

Tuesday:

Peanut butter

10mg omeprazole

1 pumpkin ALT Larabar (includes dates, peanuts, pumpkin, spices, and maybe a few other things)

Snap peas

Bumblebar

Cauliflower with olive oil and spices

1 avacado with olive oil and spices

Wednesday (today):

Probiotics, 10mg omeprazole (weaning myself off this)

4 eggs fried in coconut oil, hummus, spices

1 Good Earth vitamin, 5000 IUs Vitamin D

1 clove raw garlic

I have a couple of 10 hour days on campus and I'm at school full time and work 20 hours a week so it's hard for me to find things to bring with to last me a whole day while still rotating, hence still eating the snack bars twice. I need to figure out something else to do. I used to bring snap peas and brocoli, but that only covers me on one (or two if I spread them out) day.

#25 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Your not eating anywhere near enough, not even 10 percent. No wonder you have brain fog. It would be better if you were eating like. A full chicken in one day and some chicken soup with veggies in it. And a litre of yoghurt and other stuff. Then say half a kilo of red meat the following day + other stuff. There would be starving people in worn torn countries eating twice what your eating. Even I'm eating twice what your eating! :).

If you can tolerate bananas and the sugars in them. Put 8 of them in a smoothie with I dunno 4 eggs. And some yoghurt, throw some coconut oil in there too. Stop eating those bars with dates and nuts.... dodgy stuff. too much sugar, sulphates and nuts. You would be far better off with the smoothie, more calories and less bad stuff.

You probably want about 4000IU of vitamin D3 per day during (non Summer months)

Omeprazole only makes you not digest food, you want the opposite and make sure you chew the food really well. Get rid of all the nuts and replace them with easy to digest proteins that are hard to become intolerant too (meats)

#26 glauderback

glauderback

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. After many months of increasing brain fog / sinus flare ups / gut pain / energy loss I went to the doc and discovered I have food allergies. This is a relatively new thing for me, and I know nothing about leaky gut (in fact I came across this thread via a google search trying to learn about it to see if that might be part of my issue). However, I have been working to learn about nutrition for several years, so I know a good bit about food. That's where I'm coming from with this post.

I also want to commend you for pushing forward with life. I am sure the stress/anxiety you are experiencing must make going to school and work difficult. Hang in there. There is an answer. You're just in the middle of the path to finding it.

A few observations that might help your food choices...

Quinoa. In your earlier posts you mentioned eliminating quinoa. Please note that it's not a grain. It's a member of the spinach family. Since it's loaded with protein and all the amino acids your body needs to build muscle, I'd think it'd be a great add in!... unless there's another reason you eliminated it that I didn't catch? If you can eat it, a quick/yummy breakfast is fried eggs (I fry mine in coconut oil) on top of quinoa.

Hummus. It's main ingredient is chick peas / garbanzos (just smashed up). Since you eliminated chick peas wanted to make sure you knew that!

Peanuts -  Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume (bean family), so your body processes them differently than nuts, like almonds/walnuts, etc. I understand you are also considering elminating nuts, but I just wanted to clarify that one option would be to try eliminating peanuts and trying other nut-based foods, like almond butter. Nuts have good fats in them for you, so if they don't cause a problem, that might help your weight gain, too.

Meat - I read that you buy organic food, but I didn't see any mention of what feed the meat has been given. For example, cows were meant to eat grass, but even organic farmers often supplement their feed with grains to improve flavor and texture. Grass-fed beef is a much better choice because it doesn't cause inflammation, and some people with grain intolerances have issues with animals that have been fed grain. The same is true for other animal products, including eggs. Let me know if you need more info on this, and I'll look up some links.

Lemons - if you can, drink lots of lemon water. It cleans your body and makes your blood alkaline, which helps fight infection.

A book that might be helpful is the PH Miracle (and the associated books by the same author). Don't let the fact that one of the books is called "PH Miracle for weight loss" scare you. It's not a diet. That's just marketed to overweight people whose bodies will naturally lose weight as they start eating well. One point to note is that they promote soy use. Most soy is highly genetically modified and causes health problems, so I only use non-GMO soy products (like Bragg's liquid aminos - soy sauce alternate and great flavor/sodium add with lots of amino acids!)

A podcast/website I just came across that has some great meal ideas is the Raw Chef. Maybe he will help you come up with some new ideas? (therawchef.com)

Finally, do you practice any sort of religious activities? It's the best thing I've found to counter anxiety. Saying a prayer for you now...

#27 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hey Bryan how are you feeling now? I'm feeling excellent now that I've recovered from that antibiotic. I'm getting into antifungal herbal cleansing now, see how that goes. Been pretty busy grinding leaves.

#28 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

HI Bryan,

The advice to avoid starches and sugars is because people who are starting the gluten-free diet can have bacteria  overgrowth that feeds on that stuff.  It can cause bloating and gas and irritation.  Symptoms very similar to lactose intolerance, as well as diahrea.  If you aren't having those symptoms, then you may not have that issue.  And so may not need to avoid those foods.

A good diet IMHO is meats, veggies, nuts and fruits.  If they have a small refrigerator at your work they may let you bring in a container of food to eat?  Many work places do provide refrig for their employees.

Avocados are a great choice as they have healthy oils in them and enzymes.  I like to mix a can of salmon with an avocado and some garlic, salt and pepper.  It goes real well on a sandwich, a wrap, or with Mission brand tortilla chips.

You may need to consider an elimination diet at some point.  Elimination diets can help pinpoint foods that cause a reaction.

The top 8 food allergens in the USA are:

http://www.mayoclini...lergies/AA00057

By Mayo Clinic staff

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires food manufacturers to list the eight most common ingredients that trigger food allergies. Most other countries have similar rules. In the United States, information about food allergies has to be written in simple terms adults and older children can understand. The eight foods included in food allergy labeling account for an estimated 90 percent of allergic reactions. These eight foods are:

• Milk
  • Eggs
  • Peanuts
  • Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
  • Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
  • Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
  • Soy
  • Wheat

Beyond those people on the forum have reported issues with nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant), corn, oats, rice, grapes, carrots, coffee, and many other foods.  One reason for this is the leaky gut process can lead to food intolerances developing.  But these may be temporary in some cases.  Not always though.

Eating chicken and steak is a good idea.  You can easily mix it with mushrooms and onion or other things.  I suggest you avoid the spice mixes for now.  It is better/easier to troubleshoot food issues if you use single ingredients.  Simplifying your diet is helpful if you are reacting to unknown foods.  Reduce the number of variables to make the equation more solvable.  Or the puzzle, however you like to think to it.

Easy yummy bread in minutes
http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
http://www.celiac.co...l-ideas-anyone/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#29 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi Brian

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Brain fog is often worse than stomach pain, I know! Even after I went gluten-free, I still got brain fog after most meals. I discovered I'm also intolerant to soy (my evil nemesis) and dairy, but whole grains and dense proteins can do bad stuff to me too.

There's a lot of great advice here already, but sounds like you need to get a firm idea of what foods are always safe, which ones can cause trouble (but not all the time) and might need to be rotates, and which ones should be cut out entirely. That's different for everybody.

Also, it's possible that you do have Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance, even though you haven't been properly tested. That means you could be suffering from all the other fun things that seem to go with it, despite being entirely Gluten Free, like leaky gut and other problems. A lot of people here develop more intolerances over time. and they're different for everyone. For example, I can't handle quinoa (it tends to cause stomach stabbiness), and eggs give me serious brain fog. Problem foods might not be the usual suspects.

I'd also try digestive enzymes. They help break down proteins so they're easier to digest. I used to get brain fog/bloating more or less regardless of what I ate, and now I'm usually ok. It's been a huge huge help.

And definitely eat more! More proteins, good fats, etc. I'd try chicken or pork rather than ground beef, and fish. Not too much, but enough to supplement any vegetable proteins you're getting (avocados, nuts, whatever you can handle)

Anyway, it's a slow process but you'll figure it out.

Good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#30 Bryan E

Bryan E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have been keeping extremely busy with school, work, and health struggles.

Your not eating anywhere near enough, not even 10 percent. No wonder you have brain fog. It would be better if you were eating like. A full chicken in one day and some chicken soup with veggies in it. And a litre of yoghurt and other stuff. Then say half a kilo of red meat the following day + other stuff. There would be starving people in worn torn countries eating twice what your eating. Even I'm eating twice what your eating! :).

If you can tolerate bananas and the sugars in them. Put 8 of them in a smoothie with I dunno 4 eggs. And some yoghurt, throw some coconut oil in there too. Stop eating those bars with dates and nuts.... dodgy stuff. too much sugar, sulphates and nuts. You would be far better off with the smoothie, more calories and less bad stuff.

You probably want about 4000IU of vitamin D3 per day during (non Summer months)

Omeprazole only makes you not digest food, you want the opposite and make sure you chew the food really well. Get rid of all the nuts and replace them with easy to digest proteins that are hard to become intolerant too (meats)

Yes, you were definitely right. I have upped my food intake greatly and I am starting to gain a little of the weight back. I have figured out that I can't do eggs anymore (nor snap peas), nor nuts. I have also since stopped the omeprazole, thank you for the tip. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. After many months of increasing brain fog / sinus flare ups / gut pain / energy loss I went to the doc and discovered I have food allergies. This is a relatively new thing for me, and I know nothing about leaky gut (in fact I came across this thread via a google search trying to learn about it to see if that might be part of my issue). However, I have been working to learn about nutrition for several years, so I know a good bit about food. That's where I'm coming from with this post.

I also want to commend you for pushing forward with life. I am sure the stress/anxiety you are experiencing must make going to school and work difficult. Hang in there. There is an answer. You're just in the middle of the path to finding it.

A few observations that might help your food choices...

Quinoa. In your earlier posts you mentioned eliminating quinoa. Please note that it's not a grain. It's a member of the spinach family. Since it's loaded with protein and all the amino acids your body needs to build muscle, I'd think it'd be a great add in!... unless there's another reason you eliminated it that I didn't catch? If you can eat it, a quick/yummy breakfast is fried eggs (I fry mine in coconut oil) on top of quinoa.

Hummus. It's main ingredient is chick peas / garbanzos (just smashed up). Since you eliminated chick peas wanted to make sure you knew that!

Peanuts -  Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume (bean family), so your body processes them differently than nuts, like almonds/walnuts, etc. I understand you are also considering elminating nuts, but I just wanted to clarify that one option would be to try eliminating peanuts and trying other nut-based foods, like almond butter. Nuts have good fats in them for you, so if they don't cause a problem, that might help your weight gain, too.

Meat - I read that you buy organic food, but I didn't see any mention of what feed the meat has been given. For example, cows were meant to eat grass, but even organic farmers often supplement their feed with grains to improve flavor and texture. Grass-fed beef is a much better choice because it doesn't cause inflammation, and some people with grain intolerances have issues with animals that have been fed grain. The same is true for other animal products, including eggs. Let me know if you need more info on this, and I'll look up some links.

Lemons - if you can, drink lots of lemon water. It cleans your body and makes your blood alkaline, which helps fight infection.

A book that might be helpful is the PH Miracle (and the associated books by the same author). Don't let the fact that one of the books is called "PH Miracle for weight loss" scare you. It's not a diet. That's just marketed to overweight people whose bodies will naturally lose weight as they start eating well. One point to note is that they promote soy use. Most soy is highly genetically modified and causes health problems, so I only use non-GMO soy products (like Bragg's liquid aminos - soy sauce alternate and great flavor/sodium add with lots of amino acids!)

A podcast/website I just came across that has some great meal ideas is the Raw Chef. Maybe he will help you come up with some new ideas? (therawchef.com)

Finally, do you practice any sort of religious activities? It's the best thing I've found to counter anxiety. Saying a prayer for you now...

I'm sorry that you are going through something similar as well. It's really no fun. This website is a great resource. It'll talk a while and a lot of work, but you'll get better.

Thank you very much for the words of encouragement, it's definitely hard but I do my best. I am sure most of us here know what it is like. I've since put quinoa back into the rotation. I was eliminating it because of it's starch content, but from another post here it sounds like starches might not be the worst thing, so I've put rice, quinoa, and red potatoes back into the rotation. We'll see how it goes. I had to cut out hummus as well, I'm not sure if it was that or the eggs that I would eat it with but it didn't go well. Maybe I'll have to try some hummus plain and see how that works. Peanuts I've found that I can't do. I would occasionally pick up some when I was out and had no food and they definitely set off a reaction, I think nuts do as well. All the beef that I buy is grass fed, I'm not sure what they feed the chickens though. I will look into lemons, thank you. I will look into that book and podcast as well, thank you for the tips.

No, I'm not religious, but I appreciate the thought!

Hey Bryan how are you feeling now? I'm feeling excellent now that I've recovered from that antibiotic. I'm getting into antifungal herbal cleansing now, see how that goes. Been pretty busy grinding leaves.

I've had a couple of good days and a lot of bad days. I've also been sick and stressed with finals and cheating on the rotational diet some so it's hard to tell how I'm actually doing. I'm hoping to start getting a lot better once summer starts.

Glad to hear that you are feeling excellent! That's great! I will have to do a search on antifungal herbal cleansing, I'm not sure what it is exactly.

HI Bryan,

The advice to avoid starches and sugars is because people who are starting the gluten-free diet can have bacteria  overgrowth that feeds on that stuff.  It can cause bloating and gas and irritation.  Symptoms very similar to lactose intolerance, as well as diahrea.  If you aren't having those symptoms, then you may not have that issue.  And so may not need to avoid those foods.

A good diet IMHO is meats, veggies, nuts and fruits.  If they have a small refrigerator at your work they may let you bring in a container of food to eat?  Many work places do provide refrig for their employees.

Avocados are a great choice as they have healthy oils in them and enzymes.  I like to mix a can of salmon with an avocado and some garlic, salt and pepper.  It goes real well on a sandwich, a wrap, or with Mission brand tortilla chips.

You may need to consider an elimination diet at some point.  Elimination diets can help pinpoint foods that cause a reaction.

The top 8 food allergens in the USA are:

http://www.mayoclini...lergies/AA00057

By Mayo Clinic staff

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires food manufacturers to list the eight most common ingredients that trigger food allergies. Most other countries have similar rules. In the United States, information about food allergies has to be written in simple terms adults and older children can understand. The eight foods included in food allergy labeling account for an estimated 90 percent of allergic reactions. These eight foods are:

• Milk
  • Eggs
  • Peanuts
  • Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
  • Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
  • Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
  • Soy
  • Wheat

Beyond those people on the forum have reported issues with nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant), corn, oats, rice, grapes, carrots, coffee, and many other foods.  One reason for this is the leaky gut process can lead to food intolerances developing.  But these may be temporary in some cases.  Not always though.

Eating chicken and steak is a good idea.  You can easily mix it with mushrooms and onion or other things.  I suggest you avoid the spice mixes for now.  It is better/easier to troubleshoot food issues if you use single ingredients.  Simplifying your diet is helpful if you are reacting to unknown foods.  Reduce the number of variables to make the equation more solvable.  Or the puzzle, however you like to think to it.

Easy yummy bread in minutes
http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
http://www.celiac.co...l-ideas-anyone/

Thank you, prompted by your post I reintegrated starches into my diet. It is definitely helping me have foods that I can eat on the rotational diet. My work does have a refrigerator (I work in food service) that I can use. However, I usually eat salad that I get from there when I am at work, although my schedule right now is three days in a row so I'm trying to find a way to incorporate that into the rotation diet. Last time I brought tuna but after eating 6 cans on tuna in a day I started getting worried about mercury poisoning. They do have a rice cooker there so I can use it for one of the meals.

I'm not the biggest avocado fan but I'll buy them anyway. Just one more food that I can eat. An elimination diet is always in the back of my mind but I don't think I want to go that route right now. That part about the nightshades scares me. I can't possibly cut more things out of my diet. I guess I'll just keep what I'm doing and identifying reactions and see if I need to cut any of those out. I am definitely trying to keep my diet as simple as possible, however it doesn't always work out.

Hi Brian

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Brain fog is often worse than stomach pain, I know! Even after I went gluten-free, I still got brain fog after most meals. I discovered I'm also intolerant to soy (my evil nemesis) and dairy, but whole grains and dense proteins can do bad stuff to me too.

There's a lot of great advice here already, but sounds like you need to get a firm idea of what foods are always safe, which ones can cause trouble (but not all the time) and might need to be rotates, and which ones should be cut out entirely. That's different for everybody.

Also, it's possible that you do have Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance, even though you haven't been properly tested. That means you could be suffering from all the other fun things that seem to go with it, despite being entirely Gluten Free, like leaky gut and other problems. A lot of people here develop more intolerances over time. and they're different for everyone. For example, I can't handle quinoa (it tends to cause stomach stabbiness), and eggs give me serious brain fog. Problem foods might not be the usual suspects.

I'd also try digestive enzymes. They help break down proteins so they're easier to digest. I used to get brain fog/bloating more or less regardless of what I ate, and now I'm usually ok. It's been a huge huge help.

And definitely eat more! More proteins, good fats, etc. I'd try chicken or pork rather than ground beef, and fish. Not too much, but enough to supplement any vegetable proteins you're getting (avocados, nuts, whatever you can handle)

Anyway, it's a slow process but you'll figure it out.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that you went through this too. It's really no fun. That's the stage I'm on now, trying to figure out what produces reactions and what doesn't. I'm hoping to get a better feel for that after school gets out in a week and a half. I am running under the assumption that I am gluten intolerant and dairy intolerant. I don't know if I would need to change anything if I changed my assumption to that I had Celiac disease, but it's worth a shot.

The digestive enzymes sounds very promising, do you have a brand that you use? I'll have to go pick them up next time I'm at the store. Are they different than probiotics?

I can't do pork, and beef is one of the main ways I'm getting calories on one of my days right now, I don't think I could cut that out. I was eating tuna on one of the days (6 cans) but I don't think that's a good idea, and other fish is very expensive, but I will have to look into it. I'm eating a lot more right now for sure. Here's some examples:

Today:

1/2# turkey burger

4 Kind bars (see what I mean about the food on the run) 

1.5cups rice (dry) with carrots and green peppers

About to eat the other 1/2 pound turkey burger

Monday:

1lb ground beef

Salad (romaine, peppers, olives, tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette)

1lb ground beef

I also think that I have to cut out olive oil, I think it was making reactions worse.

Thank you very much for your help everybody, I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: