25 replies to this topic

#16 Rachel:)

Rachel:)

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

This is really useful because I'm going on a plane in July and I was wondering about this too!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lesx2

Lesx2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

helpful hint - to keep your traveling food cold, pack in an insulated lunch bag with a bag of frozen peas. Ice packs won't clear TSA, but peas do!

Was just told recently that you can now take a frozen (frozen solid) bottlr of water with you through security. tried it last week at LAX as I had extra time. My carry on bag got pulled for the secondary inspection, but they let me takethe frozen bottle with me! Going to try putting the bottle in its own tray next time. Anyone know anymore about this? It would be a much better cooler pack than peas!

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Was just told recently that you can now take a frozen (frozen solid) bottlr of water with you through security. tried it last week at LAX as I had extra time. My carry on bag got pulled for the secondary inspection, but they let me takethe frozen bottle with me! Going to try putting the bottle in its own tray next time. Anyone know anymore about this? It would be a much better cooler pack than peas!

This would be awesome!

guess chemicals wouldn't freeze solid like good old H2O,

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 julissa

julissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

that sounds like a great idea, thanks. I leave in 2 weeks for Israel and am planning my food bag now. great tip!

#20 gfyvr

gfyvr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

I have taken frozen water and yogurt on flights many times now with no issues. Been through Canadian, American, EU, NZ, AU, and Japanese security and not had any problems either. In 1994 I worked with UAL and Air Canada to provide safe gluten-free meals on their flights especially the international ones as they were receiving more requests and I, as a traveler for business, flying 100k a year, was having problems getting consistant meals. I was the top consumer of gluten-free meals for both airlines. Meals at that time were also served domestically for travel. In the USA and Canada they take allergen meal prep very seriously in flight kitchens and it is all done in a sterile area where no cross contamination can happen. I cannot speak for the overseas kitchens, however the ones I toured in both counties here were better than any restaurant environment. In fact, UAL, took it one step farther, primarily due to all the issues I had with meals and substitutions, they had a central commissary in Chicago, under sterile and allergen control conditions, prepare all their GFML's and ship them frozen to their flight kitchens to put on planes so each kitchen would no longer make mistakes such as subsitute rice with orzo pasta... Happy travels!

#21 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the good suggestions!  We are flying to Germany non-stop from Chicago on United and have ordered the gluten-free meal for hubby.  Still, we will have the suggested foods with us in case it looks inedible.  The non-stop flights are a little pricier, but we thought it would be worth it to NOT have to deal with a stop-over at an airport terminal.  Now, to calm my nerves.  I've flown before, but never overseas! 

#22 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Have a wonderful trip :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#23 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the good suggestions!  We are flying to Germany non-stop from Chicago on United and have ordered the gluten-free meal for hubby.  Still, we will have the suggested foods with us in case it looks inedible.  The non-stop flights are a little pricier, but we thought it would be worth it to NOT have to deal with a stop-over at an airport terminal.  Now, to calm my nerves.  I've flown before, but never overseas! 

When do you go and for how long?  I love Germany. We fly to Europe at least twice a year and though I detest the flights due to horrible pain, it is worth it in the end.  Take a deep breath and relax.  Honest.  If it were not so extremely painful, I would enjoy flying.  I used to!  Look for the Scharr brand of gluten-free stuff.  The sliced bread sucks but the ciabatta rolls are actually quite good.  They also make all sorts of cookies and snacks.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#24 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

My Celiac hubby has a question.  What if he doesn't eat everything he takes with him?  Will there be any issues with left-over food when we land in Germany?  We have ordered a gluten-free meal (and airline confirmed), but will be taking some food with us in case of the above-mentioned snafus.  Thanks!

#25 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

My Celiac hubby has a question.  What if he doesn't eat everything he takes with him?  Will there be any issues with left-over food when we land in Germany?  We have ordered a gluten-free meal (and airline confirmed), but will be taking some food with us in case of the above-mentioned snafus.  Thanks!

I've taken food with me a bunch of times to Europe (including Germany) and I've never had problems - I've brought in fruit, sausages, lara bars, nuts, dried fruit, etc. I think there's always a chance something could be confiscated if you get checked at customs, but I don't think it's likely.

#26 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Me, too. I travel to Europe lots and have never had a problem with this.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: