This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Learning About It For The First Time

J-Man

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Just wanted to note that on the link that I provided for you, there seems to be some inaccurate information as far as I am concerned regarding children with celiac disease. I read something in there about some children being able to tolerate gluten after "5 years" off gluten, or something along those lines......WRONG!!!!!! Once a celiac, always a celiac..... I will look for a better link for you now........

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Here's one:

Open Original Shared Link

Karen

If you read through these posts, you will definitely see a trend!!!! :P:D

Karen

J-Man Newbie
Well you better be careful because you will have the single women with Celiac after you, lol!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*smirk* I should be so lucky ;-)

J

Here is a very good one:

Karen

kbtoyssni Contributor

You should read Dangerous Grains if you want to know all about the disease. They talk about the ethnicities that are most likely to have celiac disease in it. Grains were first grown in the middle eastern countries. Since celiac disease is genetic, those cultures have had longer for the celiac disease genes to be eliminated from the gene pool.

I'm a celiac disease newbie (dx a month ago) and I figured it out after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I tried an elimination diet to see if any foods aggrevated the FM and found that wheat made me so, so sick. And so did barley. I did get the blood test done and it was covered by insurance. Unfortunately you have to be eating gluten to test positive and I'd only been eating it for 4 or 5 days so it was negative. But I don't care. I know if I eat gluten I'll be on the floor with stomach cramps too tired to get up and this will last for three days. My FM symptoms get much worse, too.

PS It's really great that you are so open to learning about the disease. That girl doesn't know what she's missing

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I just met a girl with Celiac, and I want to do whatever I can to make her happy.
That is very sweet :) If you are cooking for her, there are a few things that you should know (someone may have mentioned this already). In addition, to making sure the food is gluten-free, make sure that you clean all counters, dishes, silverwear, pots and pans very well. I find crumbs on stuff like that all the time. Also, make sure that you use separate condiment jars, deep fryers, toasters, ect.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I've got to throw my two cents in here. I'm still waiting for my test results, so I'm not sure if I have celiac yet or not, but I have been dealing with digestive issues since I was a teenager.

When it comes to people in your life, be they friends, family or significant others, the most important thing is when you get sick, just to have someone to talk to who takes it seriously, knows you're not a drama queen, and will cheer you up, or bring you something from the store, offer to stop by with a movie to watch or just call and see how you're doing, or understand when you just want to be alone in your misery, but not hold it against you when it's over.

When you get sick from something like this, it can be humiliating. Having friends who are understanding is a real treasure. Because there are people who tell you it's all in your head, or act like you're somehow at fault.

You know how they say that everyone has different kinds of friends? You've got the friends that you can hang out with, but not really talk to about something serious. Then there are the friends who you can talk to, but when the chips are down they aren't really going to do anything to help. And then there are the friends who will drop whatever they're doing to help when you need it.

Well, when you have digestive issues, or any kind of chronic condition, there's an even closer circle of friends; those you can call when you're sick. Most people aren't tough enough.

If you can just be her friend and be understanding of her life, even if you never have a romantic relationship, I'm sure she'd count herself lucky to have you in her life.

And like I tell my single guy friends -- Girls know girls. So the more girl FRIENDS you have, the more potential GIRLFRIENDS you'll meet. B)

Nancy

J-Man Newbie
You should read Dangerous Grains if you want to know all about the disease.  They talk about the ethnicities that are most likely to have celiac disease in it.  Grains were first grown in the middle eastern countries.  Since celiac disease is genetic, those cultures have had longer for the celiac disease genes to be eliminated from the gene pool. 

Well... the book arrives Monday I think :)

J

debmidge Rising Star

J-Man, you asked if you can be born with Celiac .... as per a prior post, it's genetic and has to be "triggered." As an example, my husband developed his at age 27 and was misdiagnosed (like a lot of celiacs are) with IBS until he was 53. In those "lost" years he developed other health conditions and it robbed him of youth and health. It runs in families and there's no cure other than diet. The sponsor of this forum, celiac.com has good info on celiac (I guess thru the Site Index).

Some families that have celiac disease get their non-celiac members "gene tested" to see if they have the genetic potential for this disease.

My husband did not have a problem getting tested for this in 2003, but from 1977 to 2003 he had a lot of gastroenterologists who obviously did not know that he had celiac and one actually told him to get mental help because he couldn't find anything wrong with him (this gastro was obviously doing the wrong tests!!). Finding a doctor who is sharp enough to diagnose celiac disease is the hardest part of this problem as most don't know about celiac or feel that it's so rare that this patient can't have it.

I work with a man who came down with celiac disease at age 72 after a bad bout of pneumonia. Since he didn't go very long before he was diagnosed, he doesn't have many symptoms....only when he cheats and eats gluteny bakery stuff. When he brings it into the office I reprimand him.

My husband's sister probably has celiac disease,but she's ignoring it but grumbles about her stomach aches all the time.

I don't have celiac disease but I read Dangerous Grains and have to say it made me want to stop eating Gluten ASAP.

Best wishes

D.

Archived