7 replies to this topic

#1 Missdoodle

Missdoodle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

So... I messed up last night and really I know better. My salad came with croutons, and I just picked them off. I was starving and service was terrible. Over the weekend I accidentally ate 3 jordan almonds before I realized they were not gluten free, I didn't have much of a reaction, just some painful gassing. But these croutons... they are doing a number on me. Painful gassing, awful noises, cramps, bloat, and today I still am feeling all of it. I am just wondering why there is such a most intense reaction this time that then almonds. I am wondering if people react more to some foods than others. Like because the crouton crumbs had more gluten than the almonds...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,541 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Maybe they are all adding up? A little gluten here, a little there. You really haven't had time to heal from one glutening to another

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 julissa

julissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

another thought in addition to the reactions adding up, is that the croutons are all gluten, while the nuts were probably just coated.

#4 Colleeney

Colleeney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I've wondered the same thing although I seem to have collected reactions over the year's. It was the bloat, gas, diarrhea. Then we made the mistake of actually visiting Bob's Red Mill and eating at their cafĂ©. I could smell flour in the air as they grind close by. I later, usual 4 hours, went into sneezing, wheezing. Now when I get gluten I start with horrific sneezing then the gas, bloat, cramp etc. Another weird one was at our Crawfish Festival. Bought fire roasted fresh picked ear of corn. Roasted in the husk, fresh touch of pure butter and a little salt. No way cross contaminated. Every time I got it to my mouth I realized I would sneeze, became horribly congested. Thought at first it was something in the air because it was so windy so kept eating. Realized after I was finished the reaction was gone. 4 hours later mild cramps, bloating. Only my doctor believes me the "fresh picked" corn was next to a wheat field and we'd had wind for 2 or 3 days. Family thinks I'm over dramatic!

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure what what in the nuts, but something I have noticed going back over my reactions. My reactions to wheat, weirdly enough, last 3-5 weeks. My reactions to barley last about 2 months and are far worse at the beginning. With wheat I feel like complete hell and like I want to die. With barley I feel like I have been dragged through hell and back, and and so far beyond dead already that I am completely non functional for a full week, I can't even get out of bed. You may find that you have different types, lengths and severity of reaction to the three offenders. I haven't had an incident with rye yet and I intend to keep it that way.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 Missdoodle

Missdoodle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thank you all. I thought it was odd having different reactions, but now I see it's not. I am sure overtime I will learn more about my reactions and how sensitive I am to things. It's a long strange journey, I am sure :)

#7 beefree11

beefree11

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

We don't eat any food unless it is prepared by us.   Health risk isn't worth it.  Even though you "feel" fine, there is no way of knowing if there is destruction/inflammation occurring while going to the restaurant, the party, etc.  Know what I mean? 

We call the banquet halls about special diet restrictions *I know of a couple wedding venues that allowed the newly married to bring their OWN food - why not a guest, as well?

Family parties --  we bring our own in individual containers, almost like lunch bags.  For there is always someone wanting to fork the salad we bring, or try something with those glutenous fingers.  :) 

GIFTS!  Yes even some seemingly harmless looking baskets of lotions, shampoos, etc are donated due to items containing wheat products. 

It does get easier.  Good luck and good health to you :)

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew."

Saint Francis de Sales

#8 lynnieloo

lynnieloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm not sure what what in the nuts, but something I have noticed going back over my reactions. My reactions to wheat, weirdly enough, last 3-5 weeks. My reactions to barley last about 2 months and are far worse at the beginning. With wheat I feel like complete hell and like I want to die. With barley I feel like I have been dragged through hell and back, and and so far beyond dead already that I am completely non functional for a full week, I can't even get out of bed. You may find that you have different types, lengths and severity of reaction to the three offenders. I haven't had an incident with rye yet and I intend to keep it that way.

I'm having my first reaction since starting gluten-free diet after Dx and I do want to die.  Will this wanting to die possibly last 3-5 weeks?  Oh, say it isn't so!  How long did it take you to be able to determine what the offending substance was so that you could begin tracking reaction times?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: