4 replies to this topic

#1 Karah

Karah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting but I could really use some help and support right now. I had never had food allergies until my onion one in 2000. I got really sick overseas and when I came back home I was given two rounds of antibiotics. For 2-3 months after that I had major digestive upset that no one (doctors/tests) could figure out. I was basically told IBS deal with it. I got better, for the most part, when I figured out I couldn't have onion anymore. Then last June I was given the Celiac diagnosis along with a couple of other food allergies. I started feeling a lot better until 2-3 months ago. I just had more food allergy testing done on Tuesday and was given a bigger list...mostly vegetables, tuna, oranges, watermelon, and squash. These are things I eat all the time! Now I can't. I already found I can't have legumes, soy, gluten, bananas, buckwheat, wheat, peanuts, corn, nuts, and dairy. Why am I having all these allergies/intolerances all of a sudden, I feel soon I won't be able to eat anything! Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stri8ed

stri8ed

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi

Many people with celiac disease also have a leaky gut, which can cause you to develop new food allergies. Please refer to my post here.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

How were you tested for Celiac Disease? This is the test ( full panel ) that you should have been tested for Celiac:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Although other food intolerances are common, often times it's only discovered when gluten is totally removed from your diet.  It does sound like you were allergy tested.  Celiac is not an allergy, rather an autoimmune disease. And it's offen is triggered by an illness, stress, pregnancy, etc...

Oh ....and Welcome!

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

What kind of allergies are these?  IgE?  IgG?  What kind of test was done?  What kind of Dr. did this test?

#5 Karah

Karah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

@stri8ed thank you for the link to the other post!

@Lisa I had the full blood panel done. My doctor has Celiac and has no gluten symptoms other than the severe damage shown on his biopsy. It looked really bad when he showed me. I do have a wheat allergy but I also have Celiac which is not a food allergy. We are going to start testing for other autoimmune diseases because we don't think Celiac is the only one I have. Thank you for the welcome!

@Juliebove I had an allergist/immunologist administer the allergy tests. I had food and environmental tests done. I know the foods were IgE tests. I had them done twice, once last June and then again on Tuesday. I had way more foods show up this time than last. I am also finding I am intolerant to a lot of foods. The foods that showed up this time are all foods I eat all the time since my first allergy test, and now I can't eat those. I am so overwhelmed and running out of things to eat. Today I am in really bad pain due to consuming soy and corn, but I kind knew that would happen. I also had a pretty bad reaction to some new fish oil pills. I am allergic to tuna, but there was no tuna in them. They caused hives, dizziness, and breathing problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: