2 replies to this topic

#1 kcorcoran2013

kcorcoran2013

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

I am wondering if anyone else has had an issue with flavored coffee.  I have been gluten-free for about 6 weeks now and am doing great with it. Last night  I drank some Millstone brand cinnamon hazelnut coffee and this morning I woke up hacking and coughing, runny nose, burping like crazy.  I tried eating breakfast and could tell if I continued to eat I was going to throw up. (my typical reaction to gluten)  My husband mentioned that he read about having to be careful about flavored coffee having gluten in it.  Just wondering if anyone knows about that brand of coffee or have had similar reactions.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Did you check the ingredients?

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Millstone is owned by JM Smucker. You would have to read the ingredients, but Smuckers are not known to hide gluten. By law, wheat can not be hidden, but you do need to look in the ingredients for possible malt content.

Several years ago, prior the purchase of Folgers by Smucker, all Millstone coffees were gluten-free. That may well still be true, but I can't find a recent source to confirm it.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flavored coffee, millstone, artificial flavoring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: