Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Follow Up Bloodwork

3 posts in this topic

My daughter should go this month for her 3 month follow up bloodwork.  She was diagnosed at the end of January.  I've seen a marked improvement in her gastro symptoms, and she has even gained weight.  I am hoping to see a drastic improvement in her bloodwork as well, but I don't know how long that kind of thing takes.  I don't want to get disheartened if her numbers havent moved as much as I had hoped.  Any words of wisdom on this?  Can it take awhile for numbers to improve even if symptoms have improved?  Or should I expect to see normal numbers?  Thanks.

Ads by Google:

From what I have heard, no stats to support this, kids often heal faster and might have normal levels in three months.  The again, I have seen kids who still have very slightly elevated numbers after a year... It's hard to say.  I would expect some improvement but not be shocked if it's not within normal range.  Good luck.

I agree with Nicole--

Her numbers will have likely improved, but may take 6 months to a year to drop all into normal range.  Symptom improvement is most important.

Make sure they run DGP - both IgA and IgG as these are the first to rise with accidental gluten ingestion and are often the first to fall with removal of all gluten.

Whatever the numbers say -- the symptom improvement is great and means you are on the right track :)