2 replies to this topic

#1 formygirl

formygirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

My daughter should go this month for her 3 month follow up bloodwork.  She was diagnosed at the end of January.  I've seen a marked improvement in her gastro symptoms, and she has even gained weight.  I am hoping to see a drastic improvement in her bloodwork as well, but I don't know how long that kind of thing takes.  I don't want to get disheartened if her numbers havent moved as much as I had hoped.  Any words of wisdom on this?  Can it take awhile for numbers to improve even if symptoms have improved?  Or should I expect to see normal numbers?  Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

From what I have heard, no stats to support this, kids often heal faster and might have normal levels in three months.  The again, I have seen kids who still have very slightly elevated numbers after a year... It's hard to say.  I would expect some improvement but not be shocked if it's not within normal range.  Good luck.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I agree with Nicole--

Her numbers will have likely improved, but may take 6 months to a year to drop all into normal range.  Symptom improvement is most important.

Make sure they run DGP - both IgA and IgG as these are the first to rise with accidental gluten ingestion and are often the first to fall with removal of all gluten.

Whatever the numbers say -- the symptom improvement is great and means you are on the right track :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: