Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

When in doubt, contact the manufacturer. I should think not, however, who knows now days.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

All the ones I have seen are gluten-free. Read the ingredients. It's possible they make a chocolate malt flavored milk. That would be a no- no but the malt would be listed in the ingredients.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Chris04626

Chris04626

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

wondering about the kind they serve it school.  We are starting a trial tomorrow for my son seeing his blood test was postive and biopsy negative/

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

wondering about the kind they serve it school.  We are starting a trial tomorrow for my son seeing his blood test was postive and biopsy negative/

Go to school and read the ingredients? We have had many brands and haven't seen gluten except in a chocolate malt flavor.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#6 Chris04626

Chris04626

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

ok will check it out thanks

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

... chocolate malt flavored milk. That would be a no- no but the malt would be listed in the ingredients.

...but malt is not required to be listed, if an ingredient. Any listing or disclosure would be voluntary at this time (unfortunatly).  Best to call the company to verify. ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

...but malt is not required to be listed, if an ingredient. Any listing or disclosure would be voluntary at this time (unfortunatly). Best to call the company to verify. ;)

Of course it would be listed in the title and ingredients - Chocolate malt milk - milk, cocoa, cane sugar, malt flavor or just malt

The milk I have now for M says -milk, evaporated cane juice, cocoa, vanilla flavor, DHA algal oil (need to look up what that is), carrageenan, salt, vit a & d

Looked up the algal oil - it's made from algae!

Edited by kareng, 07 April 2013 - 04:33 PM.

LTES

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Of course it would be listed in the title and ingredients - Chocolate malt milk - milk, cocoa, cane sugar, malt flavor or just malt

Malt/barley are not listed on the top eight allergins.  Any disclosure of barley/malt is volutarary at this time..  Perhaps we are mis-understanding each other Kareng.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Any disclosure of barley/malt is volutarary at this time..

Well, it is and it isn't. If malted barley is present, it must be accounted for somehow in the ingredient list. It could conceivably be listed as natural flavor, but that is very unlikely. Barley malt is an expensive ingredient and manufacturers will proudly declare it, not hide it.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Malt/barley are not listed on the top eight allergins. Any disclosure of barley/malt is volutarary at this time.. Perhaps we are mis-understanding each other Kareng.

I think we aren't on the same wave- length here.

Ingredients, legally, must be listed. You can't put something in without saying it. In the milk in my fridge ( ingredients posted above), if malt or even broccoli were added, it would be listed. There are no ingredients listed for the mythical " hidden gluten" to hide in. Also, because we are talking about a flavored milk, a company will have a malt flavored or a plain chocolate, milk. Plain chocolate is the majority of chocolate milks as many don't care for the chocolate malt flavor.

Now wouldn't broccoli in milk be tasty? :(

Edited to say- Peter and I seem to have a psychic connection today & post at the same time!

Edited by kareng, 07 April 2013 - 05:35 PM.

LTES

#12 blueshades

blueshades

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

Is chocolate milk gluten free? 

I don't think it is. I buy the brand Almond Breeze and they recently started doing Chocolate almond milk! It's very delicious :) And it is labelled gluten free and lactose free. I don't buy anything unless it's labelled gluten free now because i'm tired of feeling sick and being clueless as to where i went wrong :(

Try chocolate soy milk too. So Good does one that is also gluten free. 

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

I don't think it is. I buy the brand Almond Breeze and they recently started doing Chocolate almond milk! It's very delicious :) And it is labelled gluten free and lactose free. I don't buy anything unless it's labelled gluten free now because i'm tired of feeling sick and being clueless as to where i went wrong :(

Try chocolate soy milk too. So Good does one that is also gluten free. 

The only chocolate cow's milk I have seen with gluten was one labelled with "Malt" flavor.  The barley malt was clearly labelled in the ingredients also.

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: