This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

momma bee

momma bee Rookie

Hi everyone,  I am new to this forum.  My daughter is 17 months old and has been dignosed celiac from a scope Feb 14/2013.  She has been gluten free since the date that we found out.  She seems to be doing much better in many ways but she is persistently choking on foods- soft foods, crunchy foods, purees, all sorts of foods.  Does anyone else have a child/baby that chokes frequently?  Does anyone know if choking can be associated with celiac in any way?  They initially thought she had esophageal eosinphila (and scoping for that they suprisingly found celiac).  She did not have evidence of esophageal eosinophila so I am perplexed if there is anything else that could be making her choke. Hard to figure all this out so just wanting to see if anyone else has ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sometimes it's an oral motor issue that causes increased gagging.  And you should verify if she is choking (no noises, no breath, needs help to clear her airway) or gagging (making coughing noises, spits food back out herself).  If it's gagging, I wouldn't worry a lot, but would ask about an eval by an occupational therapist.

stanleymonkey Explorer

Does she snore as well? My youngest started gagging and choking which was surprising as at 11 months she was eating spare ribs with 3 teeth, then at about 18 months had to go back on baby food. She is getting her adenoids checked on Wednesday. I second an occupational therapist, our ped went that path first, they were helpful, there was no issue, but they still gave suggestions on how to deal with the gagging

momma bee Rookie

Thanks for your responses. Yes it is definitely choking and affecting her breathing. I was wondering if maybe something oral or motor since doesn't seem to be structural. But I think I will advocate for a swallow study perhaps. Can't be "normal" when it is getting so much worse can it?

She does snore and has sleep apnea and actually had her adenoids removed the same day of the scope (so just in February). We have seen some improvement with snoring and apnea but not a significant improvement and they think sleep apnea remains so we are awaiting reassessment for that and they think perhaps cpap machine for sleep apnea but we will see in may they said. Good luck with your adenoid and tonsil check, if need be the surgery itself really isn't that bad for the wee ones. But good luck with the appointment! Maybe the choking is all related tonsils?

So much complicated information and figuring it all out! Thanks for you answers! Have to remind myself many things she has won't be related to the celiac but hard to know for sure when it is so new!

mommida Enthusiast

Just my 2 cents about EE.  There is a seasonal allergy connection for some patients.  If the seasonal allergen was not present for the 12 days of activation of eosinophils ~ testing would not have been accurate.  Normal looking tissue needs to be biospied, because the cells can be embedded  in the "normal looking"  tissue.

momma bee Rookie

Thanks! I didn't know there was a seasonal component. I was just thinking food/home environment etc... I am still wondering about EE a bit as it seems better some days then others. I am still really curious about oral motor issues as well but her speech is pretty advanced which I figured meant her oral skills would likely be pretty good? Maybe will ask ped about both potentials. Thanks!

Archived