3 replies to this topic

#1 pianoland

pianoland

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

At school, I only cook with my own pots, pans, cutting boards, etc, and have my own sponge.

When I go home and my parents use shared pans (no scratches) and sponge, I have often had reactions that seems like gluten. (I try to ask them to dedicate a sponge but it becomes pointless when going back and forth between gluten/non-gluten uses of the pan.)

At my sorority events I avoid the food (even fruits and veggies) and anything they cook for me, because I'm afraid of the shared pans. I could bring my pans to cook it myself there but the house kitchen makes me feel glutened just looking at it. My friend directly asked me today if they could make a gluten-free casserole in her casserole dish. It is so nice to be cooked for rather than bring a lunch bag, but I wasn't sure what to tell her.

Is there any basis to my fear? What have your experiences been using shared equipment?

Do you think trial and error is worth the possibility of a reaction?

Celebrating being gluten free since July 22, 2011.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

If not using the dishwasher I always use separate sponges. I do gluten-free things 1st, then swap sponges for gluten things. If I am washing a pan which has been used for gluten, which also gets used for gluten-free, I do a 1st wash with the gluten sponge, then change to fresh water and the gluten-free sponge. Mine sponges are color coded. I have 2 sets of non stick frying pans, but share regular pans.

To wipe kitchen counters and dining table I use damp kitchen paper and throw away.

You need to decide if it is worth the risk in other people's kitchens. I don't at the moment, but plan to try in a few months when I am happy with my healing and diet.

Good luck
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

It all depends on one's sensitivity.  I know that we had problems with a shared household in general.  We tried several systems of separate dishes, counters, shelves in the fridge, etc.  I know that sometimes when I get the dishes out of the dishwasher, I see bits of food that didn't wash off properly.  Imagine how many times the little bits of food might be too small to be noticed, but large enough for a reaction in particularly sensitive individuals.  For these sensitive celiacs, shared pans might be a problem.

#4 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

It is most definitely nice to have friends and family want to prepare food for you, makes me feel loved :) but everytime they have I had a reaction (didnt let them know that) it wasn't as bad as the reaction I get from say eating bread but I get the head fog, fatigue, upset tummy. My dad thinks CC is silly. I was over to his place a few weeks ago and starving, he offered to make me some potatoes and although I was reluctant I agreed ( he has never been supportive if my Veganism so I didn't want to shoot down his effort to cook for me). He checked with me about the oil he used, but the pan was coated, I began reacting before I finished my potatoes :-/ in my case if the pans have coating it doesn't matter how well washed they are I will react if it has been used for gluten food before. I would think glass casseroles dishes and steel pots and pans would be safe.

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: