This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Food Intolerances And Sinus Congestion?

kirstenm

kirstenm Newbie

Hi! I have some concerns and would really appreciate any advice!!

I was diagnosed with celiac in August and have been gluten-free since. I still am in a lot of pain/discomfort with constant, chronic sinus congestion, that puts a lot of pain and pressure right between my eyes and on my upper teeth, and then post-nasal drip into my stomach, making me naseous. I think it could possibly be an anti-histamine reaction to some food I am sensitive to? I haven't had dairy for a couple weeks now, thinking that would help, but it hasn't made much difference. I've already had two sinus infections this year and am desperate to figure out why my body is constantly producing mucus. (I've seen an ENT, and had a CT scan done of my face, and they didn't find anything abnormal).

I tried to get my food sensitives tested with the MRT (Mediator Release Test) but found out my insurance wouldn't pay for that. Has anyone found a way to cover this testing or a less expensive way to get it done?

Also, any suggestions on who to see next, (Austin/Houston area), a gastro, rhumatologist, ENT, ??

And I had my allergies tested when I was diagnozed with celiac, but is it common for more food allergies to develop after going gluten-free? Or food sensitivities?

(Other symptoms include: blurred vision, floaters in vision, dry eyes)

Thank you SO much!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Elimination diets are the best way to figure out sensitivities and allergies. Methodologies vary.

I'd pick the top allergens and figure out diets to systematically eliminate one or more at a time. They say at least 4 weeks per allergen.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi Kirsten

Welcome to the Forum!

I feel your pain. I also have issues with my sinuses: pressure, sinus headaches, fullness in my ear, issues with balance, etc. It was a problem before I went gluten-free as well, but only in really bad humidity. I've been gluten-free 4 years. A couple years ago I was having mild vertigo symptoms and was sure it was my inner ear. Went to an ENT, got all kinds of tests done. No ear problems. Back to the drawing board.

So I looked at my diet. High sodium and dairy can contribute to sinus/inner ear problems, so I cut back on salt. That helped, but not enough. I cut back on milk. That helped a lot, to the point that I noticed eating any kind of dairy would make my sinuses fill up. I now believe I'm casein intolerant, so no dairy for me.

I also noticed soy gave me a similar reaction. After tofu my head would go nuts! so i cut that out, then did some research, and realised I was likely soy intolerant as well. Soy is now my evil nemesis. Even small amounts of soy lectin in say, chocolate chips, will cause reactions. It sucks!

As for you, you're getting to the point in healing that other intolerances could be emerging. 2 weeks off dairy isn't going to be long enough to see a huge difference. Keep off it for at least a month or two. If symptoms still linger, look at things like soy, other grains, or do a full-out elimination diet to see what it could be. It takes a long time to figure out, but once you do it'll be worth it.

If diet doesn't help, talk to your doctor about what else it could be.

Now I can tell if I got soyed or casseined by my head. (except for this week when I had a nasty cold and sinus infection. bleh).

Anyway, good luck!

Peg

Juliebove Rising Star

Dairy is what did in my sinuses.

VeggieGal Contributor

I echo what pegleg84 is saying. I suffer too with sinus issues. I have a definite problem with dairy (eggs, cheese and milk) but think the worst culprit for my sinus issues is soy and quorn which is strange as I used to have it daily ...like an addiction, but i have to stay away from it :(

VeggieGal Contributor

its a nightmare trying to figure out all these other intolerances but we'll get there!

kirstenm Newbie

Thank you so much @pegleg84! I haven't had dairy in a month now, and no improvement (other than not having another sinus infection) so it's gotta be something else. Eggs are casein-free, right? Maybe I should try no eggs, soy and/or corn. I really haven't been having those frequently though..

Has anyone ever considered their intolerances to be connected to Leaky Gut syndrome? Or tried the diet and noticed any difference?

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Well, eggs aren't dairy, but I have trouble with them too. They don't give me a sinus reaction so much as drain all my energy, but they're a pain. It's weird.

But yes, big culprits are dairy and soy.

Archived