Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ingested Gluten For The First Time In 3 Years, By Accident.

4 posts in this topic

Two weeks ago I mistakingly ate chicken nuggets that were not gluten free, I noticed they tasted different and read the box and "Wheat" was in the ingredients. I had ate 4 of them. I had no idea what to expect. I went to bed woke up 2 hours later, cold sweat, nauseous, went into bathroom called for my husband passed out on the floor, when I awoke I continued to vomit for 4 hours. I called my GI doctor and the office said this can be a reaction to ingesting gluten. Has any one else had this reaction?

Ads by Google:

Yes, I have.  I have passed out many times, sometimes on the toilet, sometimes hurling in it :rolleyes: , sometimes if I have listened to my body and the ringing in my ears and dizziness and sweating, while just sitting down or not at all if I could get to lying down.  I always came to, right away; it was just a momentary loss of consciousness.  I was a slow learner, one could say, although I was always told it was all in my head and I should get help for my head -- never for my stomach :lol:   As it turned out my head didn't need any help....  It's been many years now but I still recall it all vividly. :)

Two weeks ago I mistakingly ate chicken nuggets that were not gluten free, I noticed they tasted different and read the box and "Wheat" was in the ingredients. I had ate 4 of them. I had no idea what to expect. I went to bed woke up 2 hours later, cold sweat, nauseous, went into bathroom called for my husband passed out on the floor, when I awoke I continued to vomit for 4 hours. I called my GI doctor and the office said this can be a reaction to ingesting gluten. Has any one else had this reaction?

I have also had this reaction, but always chalked it up to IBS attacks. Now that I know it is gluten reaction, it makes perfect sense. My GI called that kind of reaction a "vegal nerve" attack. Not sure if I spelled that right. Anyway, it is the main nerve in your nervous system, and it can cause you to black out, vomit, get clammy, etc. Not fun, I know. Hang in there.

Ohhhhhhhh, Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.  This is why I go to great lengths to avoid a hit.  The last time I really thought I wanted to die.  It's a great incentive to stay strictly gluten-free!