Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Ingested Gluten For The First Time In 3 Years, By Accident.

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Karla01

Karla01

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Two weeks ago I mistakingly ate chicken nuggets that were not gluten free, I noticed they tasted different and read the box and "Wheat" was in the ingredients. I had ate 4 of them. I had no idea what to expect. I went to bed woke up 2 hours later, cold sweat, nauseous, went into bathroom called for my husband passed out on the floor, when I awoke I continued to vomit for 4 hours. I called my GI doctor and the office said this can be a reaction to ingesting gluten. Has any one else had this reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes, I have.  I have passed out many times, sometimes on the toilet, sometimes hurling in it :rolleyes: , sometimes if I have listened to my body and the ringing in my ears and dizziness and sweating, while just sitting down or not at all if I could get to lying down.  I always came to, right away; it was just a momentary loss of consciousness.  I was a slow learner, one could say, although I was always told it was all in my head and I should get help for my head -- never for my stomach :lol:   As it turned out my head didn't need any help....  It's been many years now but I still recall it all vividly. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 khrhyne

khrhyne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Two weeks ago I mistakingly ate chicken nuggets that were not gluten free, I noticed they tasted different and read the box and "Wheat" was in the ingredients. I had ate 4 of them. I had no idea what to expect. I went to bed woke up 2 hours later, cold sweat, nauseous, went into bathroom called for my husband passed out on the floor, when I awoke I continued to vomit for 4 hours. I called my GI doctor and the office said this can be a reaction to ingesting gluten. Has any one else had this reaction?

I have also had this reaction, but always chalked it up to IBS attacks. Now that I know it is gluten reaction, it makes perfect sense. My GI called that kind of reaction a "vegal nerve" attack. Not sure if I spelled that right. Anyway, it is the main nerve in your nervous system, and it can cause you to black out, vomit, get clammy, etc. Not fun, I know. Hang in there.

#4 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ohhhhhhhh, Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.  This is why I go to great lengths to avoid a hit.  The last time I really thought I wanted to die.  It's a great incentive to stay strictly gluten-free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: