This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can't Get Good Sleep

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

One of the things my new doctor has told me to do is get on a regular schedule. He wasn't interested in what time I go to bed or when I get up, as long as it is the same time every day. I've been through this before, but he actually had a ready paper to hand me on a sleep study. It listed how a combination of magnesium, zinc and melatonin work quite well together, where melatonin almost invariably fails, to help with sleep. After verifying that I can't OD on any of these and they won't interfere with anything I'm taking I figured it can't hurt to try.

So last week on Sunday I took the supplements before bed and all went well that first night. I went to bed at 2 am, got up at 10:30 and it was great. I was awake all day Monday until bedtime at 2 am again. After that everything has been downhill. I have woken up every night, without fail, to use the bathroom. This isn't new, just annoying. Two out of the other 7 nights so far I have been kept up most of the night by nightmares. Two more I have had vivid dreams all night, which keep me from getting good sleep. I'm not having an easier time falling asleep, no matter how tired I am.

I am not supposed to nap unless I nap in the early afternoon, which I figure for me is the early evening, and only for 30 minutes. It takes me 30 minutes to fall asleep, and if I get up after being asleep for 30 minutes I am not someone you want to be around. I'm groggy, grumpy and generally worse off than I was before. Usually I'll actually just turn off my alarm. Twice in a week I have said screw it an actually napped for hours. Twice I have gone to bed hours before I should have and slept through until 10:30 in the morning.

Tonight it isn't even 10 yet and I am barely awake. I napped yesterday for a few hours, went to bed early and am still exhausted today. Should I try sleeping for more hours a night or something? This just seems silly. I am used to sleeping whenever I want and getting up whenever I want. If I am tired, I nap, whenever I want for however long I want. I am tired, all of the time. My husband says I do not snore and he doesn't hear me stop breathing in my sleep, which the doctor asked about so I doubt I have an apnea problem. I just have a quality of sleep problem. I have plain old, traditional insomnia. What else can I do so I can stop sleeping my life away?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I deal with this. Its not fun. I force myself to go to bed earlier and regardless of how much i sleep, I am tired the next day. Some days i can nap and that helps sometimes, but not always. I've been known to do a full day of classes and whatnot on 4 or less hours of sleep.

I'm quite interested to see what others say.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm going to assume that you're already doing the normal things to bolster good sleep:

1) try to wake/sleep with the sun as much as possible

2) turn down lights in the house along with the setting sun

3) avoid bright screens (TV/monitor) for an hour or two before bedtime

4) go outside, every day, for a reasonable length of time

5) avoid beverages (particularly stimulating ones) in the last hour or two before bed

6) get exercise, every day (even just a walk around the block), but not within the hour or two before bedtime

7) keep the bedroom just for sleeping (and sex), not playing, reading, TV, etc.

8) keep the bedroom dark and sufficiently (but not too) warm

9) establish some sort of bedtime routine (the same sequence of events, not necessarily the time on the clock)

Other things that might help with insomnia are yoga and meditation.  There are a number of yoga practices that are meant to help with isomnia, and a number of meditation techniques that can help too.  None of these would help over the course of time that you've been trying what you have.  Changes to sleep take many weeks, not just days.

I've also read that if you find yourself staying awake in bed, to get out of bed, and try again in a little while.

three other thoughts:

1) there is a theory that human brains operate on a sleep/rest cycle that is (approximately) 90 minutes long.  so, aim for a half nap (45min) or a full nap (90min), but not in between.  And try to time your bedtime to the schedule as well, so if you get up at 10:30am, you might make your bedtime midnight or 1:30am, but not 2am when your rest/sleep cycle is moving into it's more active phase.

2) are you oversleeping? that can make you tired as well.  is 10:30am a by-the-alarm wake up or a natural wake up time?  if it's by the alarm, you might consider setting your alarm a little earlier (by the same theory as above, I would aim for 2am to 9:30am, if I were to try this experiment)

3) 2am is a very late bedtime if you're not an evening shift worker.  don't get me wrong, I know some of us are night owl's, but it conflicts with the signals your brain gets from the light of the sun during the day, and may well interfere with a good night of sleep.  I would encourage trying (for at least a week), different sleep times.  perhaps 1:30am for going to bed would work better, perhaps midnight?  if possible, I might even try to be in bed no later than two hours after twilight fades.

good luck!  insomnia and sleep deprivation sucks!

Takala Enthusiast

No caffeine after early after noon (sob...) and with enough exercise, especially in the late afternoon/early evening, you will sleep.  

That doc sounds like he's trying to house break a puppy or something.  :rolleyes:     I was so .... grateful with this last dog, she not only was easy, she would actually want to go to sleep after dinner and not wake up and want to go out until sunrise.  My other old dog tends to be very nocturnal in summer (instinct) and getting him to sleep at night with all those interesting sounds out there is a real trip.  He's woken me up just to go out, and then barks at coyotes, skunks, frogs,  etc.  <_<  :o  :ph34r:  The one horse also tries to get him to play with him, and this can get loud.  The earth shakes and there is much snorting and panting and tail wagging.   Besides my not liking this :blink: as much as he is enjoying it, I figure the neighbors (all with variations on the same breed of dogs, which bark to establish territory) don't like it either, so I try to make sure he gets his bark on in the morning after people have gotten up, so he gets it out of his system, and you can hear the other dogs all doing this back and forth.   But it is hard to then go back to sleep, if you just have had to go outside where it's cold and yell at the 2 species of animals having a grand old time.  The horse gives me this guilt inducing look when I take his friend back in.  He also barks at the sound of airplanes and the sometimes trains, and the train is about 4 miles away. We are about 3 miles from the lake with powerboats in the summer, and he can hear those, too.   He is always happy when he does this.  Dogs then sleep blissfully for 18 hours a day, after carefully keeping you up.  

I've heard all the theories about sleeping on schedules, it just doesn't work for some of us, it's either sleep when I'm sleepy or it doesn't happen.  I have spent too many nights up in spring waiting for things to be born or working odd shifts, and now this darned horse is running up to the fence repeatedly, and prancing back and forth when the darned dog is let out if it is cold and frosty. His mother mare is 26 years old this year and she will do the same thing on the other side in the other pasture, if anything goes by on foot, (this dog won't go in those pastures, because she will clock him if he gets too close, as will the others) and these equine experts try to tell us that older females do not play.  I notice the horses then sleep in the late mornings, after the sun warms, and if it works for them.....

IrishHeart Veteran

Having enjoyed insomnia most of my life (what kid is supposed to be up and walking around in her  jammies at 2 AM?)

and being especially sleep-deprived those wonderful brain-addled 3 years before DX, I can honestly say

"I feel your pain and frustration".

The worst time was years ago during the lovely phase of life called "peri-menopause" when a combination of hormone havoc and abdominal pain kept me awake all night sometimes, anxious and sweating buckets. Try teaching an 8 AM class with no sleep...ah, Good times!!!.

Drugs given to me included: xanax, amitryptiline, cymbalta, ambien, lunesta, neurontin, and the ever- popular suggestion: melatonin and/or valerian root. Want real nightmares? take that stuff...yikes.

Did any of it help? Nope.

I even had sleep studies done (at the time, the report said I never went into deep REM sleep --Yeah, thanks, I knew that part.)

and I tried all the things suggested by tarnalberry (an awesome list of suggestions, BTW!!!!) but the main thing that worked

was getting myself to bed BEFORE 11:00 PM. (otherwise, you get a second wind and you're up until 3.)

Get up by 7 AM. Do this for a few weeks, and skip the naps. When you feel sleepy, walk it off and it will pass.

Sleep deprivation makes more pain and more pain makes for more sleep deprivation. Vicious bloody cycle. 

I know you're struggling with muscle pain as I do, but try to walk every morning in the fresh air for 10 minutes. Add 10 minutes again later in the day.

Try gentle yoga (whatever you can do to relax your brain and your body) 

Breath deeply and calmly.

Get off the computer by 8 PM. I mean it. I know you like to play games, etc, but it stimulates your brain too much that late at night.

Take a warm bath with lavendar in it. (I wish I could have done that, but my tailbone pain would not allow it) Instead, I just sniffed lavendar plants.

Drugs are good if you're desperate.But, they cause an addiction. My friend B cannot sleep without Lunesta now. That's not right.

Also, a white noise machine really, really helped me. Sounds funny, but it works.

In time, I managed to go from sleeping only 2 hours some nights (for 3 years, not kidding) to finally, finally sleeping through the night

during the past 6 months or so. If I eat foods high in histamine, chocolate especially, or sugar too late in the day, I'm wide awake at 2

and lay there, every muscle tightening up again until 5. Not fun. (Finally,, I stopped doing that to myself. I was a slow learner  <_< )

Good luck, sweets! I really do empathize as I have been in your shoes and it just plain sucks.

Perhaps my long post has put you to sleep, in which case, sweet dreams. Nighty night

Adalaide Mentor

This is going to sound stupid to a bunch of people who don't understand, but I'll try to explain anyway. On Friday and Saturday nights is my sole and exclusive social activity. This takes place from 10 pm until 1 am in a video game. Several years ago I quit doing this (on a different schedule back then) and spiraled into a deep and near suicidal depression. I had literally no friends. I don't have the energy or pain tolerance to go out. These people are like family to me, one is practically a sister. It can't be rescheduled because there are 9 other people and I joined the group years ago as it fit my schedule and people are free to come and go if it suits them, but for many this is what fits their work schedules. I'm not stupid enough to spiral myself again by quitting. For those who don't get it, you can point and laugh at me and call it an addiction. But we're a family (however dysfunctional :P) and I'm not walking away from them.

So that is part of why I made a choice for such a late bedtime. The other reason is that as a general rule, I am simply not tired before midnight. The only reason in the past week I've had a problem is because I am forcing myself not to be allowed to nap until I am so exhausted I feel like I could pass out by 7 at night.

The problem when I want naps isn't generally that I am tired, as in oh I'm sleepy I could stand a nap. The problem is that I generally am also physically tired. Both days I napped, I did it because I couldn't even hold my head up sitting in a chair. Just walking is generally so exhausting that I generally lay down for a while after, so I would probably just walk for 5 minutes, come home and fall asleep. :lol: As a general rule though I can try to get more gentle exercise and see how that goes.

My husband keeps trying to get me in the bathtub. All I can think about is how my left leg will touch the hard tub and how painful that will be. I can't fathom getting into a tub. I live about 45 minutes away from a HUGE lavender farm though and could go and get some fresh lavender and make wands like my Grammy taught me and keep one in my pillow. I will not resort to sleeping pills. I was on ambien once probably something like 15 years ago, it made me hallucinate. I'll pass.

Some of these ideas are things the doctor already told me or things I already do. I went caffeine free at the beginning of March. (With minimal withdrawal, yay!) I don't use the bedroom, but keep my bed just for sleeping. I use earplugs and a sleeping mask, so it is always dark and quiet. :) The only thing I am drinking at bedtime is the entire cup it takes to wash down 5 pills because I suck at taking pills.

Last night sucked because my face hurts. Stupid dentist. I thought he was going to rip my tooth right out of my head and it was just a cleaning. :ph34r: And it got colder than I thought it would and I had to get up and turn the heater up. Gotta love this Utah "spring" weather. <_<

Takala Enthusiast

It has taken me a year since I started to work up to this level, but, I guarantee if you ride a bike for 10 miles, you WILL crash and sleep as soon as you eat dinner.  I can't run because of a recurring problem with my feet/ankles, but this does it.  Swimming works, but then you have to have a pool, (we are crazy, we bought ours used for cheap $ and rebuilt it)  take care of the pool, (it can take a very long time to fill one of these things when you're on a well...)  and then wait for the weather to warm up enough to actually be able to get into the pool without squealing.  I haven't even started this spring on hacking back the glorious vegetation trying to take over the pool area during the rain season. Every year in the palm tree vs. the bramble bushes, it's a jungle out there, with a palm frond or two sticking out. The vines eat the little bench and the flower pots. Grass that will grow nowhere else, reaches up to my hips and hides the filter, which will have to be liberated. It's making me tired just thinking about this.  :P  B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Adelaide

I am another insomniac, and it varies how in control I am, so not sure I am best placed to give advice (not that that will stop me :) )

There is really good advice above, especially about late night screen time. I messed up a fair portion of my 20s with screen addiction.

BUT - I get that you don't want to lose Fri and Sat night sessions. Really.

How about being in bed by, say, 11pm and up by 8.30 the other days, and getting exercise, cutting out drinks etc. I would make those games your sacred time. You clearly need them.

My guess is that a 5 day regular pattern, followed by 2 later ones could work for you.

My experience is that you can adapt if there is regularity. My kids get up at 6 whatever I try, and now I have adapted, but it took time and repetition.

I really feel for you x

shadowicewolf Proficient

I walk a lot (about 10 or so miles a week), so i don't think getting more exercise would help me very much :lol:

Last night was terrible, but part of it was due to those powerful winds here.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Adelaide, do you have a thyroid problem? I'm on my phone and can't see signatures....

My thyroid, untreated, have me terrible insomnia. I've also found I have a "sweet spot" for bedtime. If I push it past 10:30 I'm up til 1. It's like a second wind kicks in and I'm wired.

What about your adrenals? In know lots of people pooh pooh adrenals (insist they aren't off unless they're dead) but I have definitely benefitted from adrenal supplementation. Everything just works better.

Adalaide Mentor

They did check my thyroid and everything checked out fine. The only reason I am sure it is fine is because after it was tested I made them read back the test results because I wanted to make sure they actually tested me and not just pseudo tested me. It is about the only thing in four freaking years that entire clinic got freaking right. I have plenty of symptoms of thyroid issues, but apparently I don't even have any stupid antibodies so not an issue. I'll still make them test me every year. I'm evil like that. I still haven't talked a doctor into testing me for Addison's though. Not for lack of trying. As if that would be so freaking difficult when they are already sucking out half my blood. I can make my new doctor do it at my next appointment.

IrishHeart Veteran

I do not think your gaming is stupid at all and I would never suggest you dump something that gives you such joy.

I just know that the later you stay up, the harder it is to get a regular sleep pattern.

Besides, you're a grown up; you can do whatever you want.  ;)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

They did check my thyroid and everything checked out fine. The only reason I am sure it is fine is because after it was tested I made them read back the test results because I wanted to make sure they actually tested me and not just pseudo tested me. It is about the only thing in four freaking years that entire clinic got freaking right. I have plenty of symptoms of thyroid issues, but apparently I don't even have any stupid antibodies so not an issue. I'll still make them test me every year. I'm evil like that. I still haven't talked a doctor into testing me for Addison's though. Not for lack of trying. As if that would be so freaking difficult when they are already sucking out half my blood. I can make my new doctor do it at my next appointment.

I wonder if you're one of those that's I test negative but still benefit? And as far as adrenals go, an md probably wouldn't test appropriately unless you are at Addison's. you can order saliva testing to measure adrenals, cortisol, hormones, etc. no doc needed.

Takala Enthusiast

Last night was terrible, but part of it was due to those powerful winds here.

Last month a big branch came down in the back, and tore off a large length of the roof gutter.  Same tree dropped another one during the early morning when it was blowing and this time it hit the roof first, then bounced into the yard and into a bush last week, near where the gutter is hanging.  I saw that one coming down just as I looked out the window.   We aren't going to fix this until the weather settles down. Years ago we had  trees hitting cars in the front yard after a massive windstorm, and had to chainsaw them off.   This year when my car was being repaired, we moved all the other cars around, and darned if that big tree in the front didn't drop a giant portion of itself on the empty spot.    I don't
think we are supposed to be able to sleep through that crap !   An arborist told me that if I ever see the ground shifting/rippling under a tree during high wind, that means the roots are coming loose, and that means RUN before they tear out and it topples. 
tarnalberry Community Regular

This is going to sound stupid to a bunch of people who don't understand, but I'll try to explain anyway. On Friday and Saturday nights is my sole and exclusive social activity. This takes place from 10 pm until 1 am in a video game. Several years ago I quit doing this (on a different schedule back then) and spiraled into a deep and near suicidal depression. I had literally no friends. I don't have the energy or pain tolerance to go out. These people are like family to me, one is practically a sister. It can't be rescheduled because there are 9 other people and I joined the group years ago as it fit my schedule and people are free to come and go if it suits them, but for many this is what fits their work schedules. I'm not stupid enough to spiral myself again by quitting. For those who don't get it, you can point and laugh at me and call it an addiction. But we're a family (however dysfunctional :P) and I'm not walking away from them.

So that is part of why I made a choice for such a late bedtime. The other reason is that as a general rule, I am simply not tired before midnight. The only reason in the past week I've had a problem is because I am forcing myself not to be allowed to nap until I am so exhausted I feel like I could pass out by 7 at night.

The problem when I want naps isn't generally that I am tired, as in oh I'm sleepy I could stand a nap. The problem is that I generally am also physically tired. Both days I napped, I did it because I couldn't even hold my head up sitting in a chair. Just walking is generally so exhausting that I generally lay down for a while after, so I would probably just walk for 5 minutes, come home and fall asleep. :lol: As a general rule though I can try to get more gentle exercise and see how that goes.

My husband keeps trying to get me in the bathtub. All I can think about is how my left leg will touch the hard tub and how painful that will be. I can't fathom getting into a tub. I live about 45 minutes away from a HUGE lavender farm though and could go and get some fresh lavender and make wands like my Grammy taught me and keep one in my pillow. I will not resort to sleeping pills. I was on ambien once probably something like 15 years ago, it made me hallucinate. I'll pass.

Some of these ideas are things the doctor already told me or things I already do. I went caffeine free at the beginning of March. (With minimal withdrawal, yay!) I don't use the bedroom, but keep my bed just for sleeping. I use earplugs and a sleeping mask, so it is always dark and quiet. :) The only thing I am drinking at bedtime is the entire cup it takes to wash down 5 pills because I suck at taking pills.

Last night sucked because my face hurts. Stupid dentist. I thought he was going to rip my tooth right out of my head and it was just a cleaning. :ph34r: And it got colder than I thought it would and I had to get up and turn the heater up. Gotta love this Utah "spring" weather. <_<

No, it doesn't sound stupid.  My husband plays WoW and used to (before our daughter was born) in a very active raiding guild, and raided at least three days a week.  Fortunately (in some ways, but not the socialize-with-the-wife-after-work way), he is on an East Coast server, so it was just an late evening, not middle of the night thing.  I'm not going to say you should stop your game nights, but you might see if there is any wiggle room in the schedule.  I get that it works for the other 9 people, but they may well be able to make some changes (say, same time on Friday but an earlier time on Saturday, or same time on Friday and an earlier time on Sunday, or what have you).  Sure, they might say no, but you don't stand a chance at a yes unless you ask.  You may also want to better set up the space you are gaming in (turn down the brightness/contrast on your monitor or TV, turn down the sounds to a lower level, and especially keep the surrounding lighting in the room dimmer than it would be during the day).

But that's only two nights a week.  It doesn't mean that you should necessarily keep the same schedule for the whole week if it's doing you a disservice.

Having a sleep schedule that is significantly different from daylight hours is going to screw with your natural melatonin production.  (And, as happens in shift workers, can negatively impact your health in many, many other ways besides the ones you have listed.)  That, in turn, messes with a whole range of hormone production.

The fact that you are getting physically exhausted and needing sometimes long naps is a sign that you aren't sufficiently well rested.  And, from my experience with restless leg and fibromyalgia, I cannot state strongly enough how much worse pain conditions are on limited sleep.  (Even at a chemical level in the body, this is the case.)  You may also be finding that you are getting a second wind, during a time that you're otherwise active (say, dinner time?), so the opportune time to go to sleep (before you get that second wind) is early enough that you don't connect it to an appropriate time to go to bed?  I mean, what happens if you try an earlier bed time in conjunction with an earlier wake time?  (One without the other would probably not be successful...)

Also, I'm curious, what happens if you let your sleep be entirely determined by when you are tired (and not any other influences, including obligations)?  Would you get enough sleep to not be tired?  Would you sleep simliar times?  Would you nap?  Do you know?

Adalaide Mentor

No, it doesn't sound stupid.  My husband plays WoW and used to (before our daughter was born) in a very active raiding guild, and raided at least three days a week.  Fortunately (in some ways, but not the socialize-with-the-wife-after-work way), he is on an East Coast server, so it was just an late evening, not middle of the night thing.  I'm not going to say you should stop your game nights, but you might see if there is any wiggle room in the schedule.  I get that it works for the other 9 people, but they may well be able to make some changes (say, same time on Friday but an earlier time on Saturday, or same time on Friday and an earlier time on Sunday, or what have you).  Sure, they might say no, but you don't stand a chance at a yes unless you ask.  You may also want to better set up the space you are gaming in (turn down the brightness/contrast on your monitor or TV, turn down the sounds to a lower level, and especially keep the surrounding lighting in the room dimmer than it would be during the day).

But that's only two nights a week.  It doesn't mean that you should necessarily keep the same schedule for the whole week if it's doing you a disservice.

Having a sleep schedule that is significantly different from daylight hours is going to screw with your natural melatonin production.  (And, as happens in shift workers, can negatively impact your health in many, many other ways besides the ones you have listed.)  That, in turn, messes with a whole range of hormone production.

The fact that you are getting physically exhausted and needing sometimes long naps is a sign that you aren't sufficiently well rested.  And, from my experience with restless leg and fibromyalgia, I cannot state strongly enough how much worse pain conditions are on limited sleep.  (Even at a chemical level in the body, this is the case.)  You may also be finding that you are getting a second wind, during a time that you're otherwise active (say, dinner time?), so the opportune time to go to sleep (before you get that second wind) is early enough that you don't connect it to an appropriate time to go to bed?  I mean, what happens if you try an earlier bed time in conjunction with an earlier wake time?  (One without the other would probably not be successful...)

Also, I'm curious, what happens if you let your sleep be entirely determined by when you are tired (and not any other influences, including obligations)?  Would you get enough sleep to not be tired?  Would you sleep simliar times?  Would you nap?  Do you know?

Our area is pretty limited, but I can certainly do something about the lighting on latest nights. The reason there isn't any earlier wiggle room is because one of the people gets off work and gets home just in time already, it has been previously discussed. The in game place we go to right now is pretty dark, so that is covered too. Unless we get a first time boss kill right at the end of the night which is an indescribable adrenaline rush, I generally go unwind for half an hour then get ready for bed. I'm an officer so I know all the goings on already.

I guess I should have considered just being up a bit later twice a week but the doctor seemed pretty adamant about it being the same time every day. Honestly though, I've never done well with that daylight crap. Plus my husband is also a night owl, so if I go to bed shortly after dark on the days he work I won't even see him. Then again, it gets dark at like 10 in Utah in the summer. ^_^

Before the doctor told me to try this I did sleep whenever I was tired. Period. If I was tired, I went to bed and slept. The only times I ever deviated from that was for raiding, for making my husband dinner on the days he works and for talking to my kiddos once a week. I much prefer that to be honest, but apparently every medical professional in the world thinks it is evil to simply sleep when you are tired. When I do that, some days I'll sleep 10-12 hours at a time which is most normal, but be awake for about 18-20. Then less frequently I'll have a bad day and need to nap throughout a whole day. I would be happy to continue that but am willing to give this whole schedule thing more time to see if it can work.

IrishHeart Veteran

exactly what I was trying to say. This was my experience. and pain begets less sleep which begets more pain. Vicious cycle.

Thanks for restating it, TB.

heather806 Rookie

1/2 a glass of wine does it for me! (I didn't read every post - perhaps you do not drink at all though)

I have this trouble where if I haven't gotten into bed by 10:30 or so I get this 2nd wind and then can't fall asleep tip much later. I only drink maybe once a week, sometimes less, but even a little wine helps my brain and body relax and I can drift off and stay asleep much better.

Probably not an answer a doctor would endorse. :)

Adalaide Mentor

I don't drink at all, but I won't deny that some nights that sounds like a good plan!

love2travel Mentor

Having had severe insomnia most of my life, I really feel for you.  It is terrible.  Last night was night 7 with very little sleep and I am nearly running on empty.  Sleep studies?  I couldn't even fall asleep so there was not much to test.  I've done all the stuff I am supposed to do and nothing helps me whatsoever.  I do take Zopiclone once a week when I need to.  But much of my sleeplessness is due to pain.  It is nearly impossible for me to get comfy at night.  My entire body always, ALWAYS feels as though I have been hit by a huge truck.  Repeatedly for good measure.  Pain makes me get up and walk around often.  I would give a lot to be able to sleep.  Sorry - no advice from me but you are not suffering alone, sadly.  :(

Have 5-HTP and Melatonin been mentioned?  I'm so tired my eyes are stuck together and cannot be bothered to read every sentence today.  They have done nothing for me but do work for others.   Worth a try.

Adalaide Mentor

I'm doing a melatonin, zine and magnesium cocktail for bed now. There was some study in Italy or something, I read about it and decided it can't be entire useless and bought the stupid pills. Never heard of 5-HTP but I guess I can research it.

I saw the doctor on Thursday and he says the fact that I am dreaming so frequently is good. I was like, omg, it wakes me up!!! Plus about 1/3 of the time it is nightmares that keep me from being able to go back to sleep. Heck, I'm afraid to go to the bathroom. He says though that it means that I am reaching REM sleep and hopefully the vivid dreams and nightmares will pass with time. No dice yet.

My reality is also becoming pain, more and more daily. Last night, for the first time, the cramps and pain were so bad I was actually unable to walk. It is barely past noon and I already know today will be worse.

I would also give a lot to be able to sleep. I've done this insomnia thing since I hit puberty. It is a bunch of crap. I've about had it with this nonsense, but I can't find where to unsubscribe. I don't even remember signing up.

IrishHeart Veteran

Addy,

Do NOT take 5-htp if you take anything that boosts seratonin levels. You will risk seratonin syndrome (been there/done that) and it ain't pretty.

You think you're wired and unable to sleep now? holymacaroni....

The insomnia thing is a   &^%$#! I know. Had it all my life.

It can be tamed. And the pain can be tamped down.

I lived in that hell for so long. But it's better and better as time goes on post-DX.

You just have to find the right combo of exercise, stretching, massage, nutrition for your muscles and a way to get quality sleep.

Don't give up. I'll help anyway I can.

love2travel Mentor

I've been busy with other stuff lately (i.e. my gorgeous rescue dog!!) and have not read many posts here lately.  Why the heck are you having pain and cramps?  Neuropathy, joint, muscular?  I did not realize that was happening to you.  Chronic pain is my reality, too, and very difficult to deal with.  That coupled with insomnia can be next to impossible to handle at times.  We are leaving for Croatia in less than three weeks and I am deliriously happy EXCEPT for the pain part.  I need miracles to be able to handle the long flights, layovers, etc.  It really is crippling.

If you find out where to unsubscribe, PM me.  I want OUT of this subscription! 

So very sorry you are experiencing pain.

I'm doing a melatonin, zine and magnesium cocktail for bed now. There was some study in Italy or something, I read about it and decided it can't be entire useless and bought the stupid pills. Never heard of 5-HTP but I guess I can research it.

I saw the doctor on Thursday and he says the fact that I am dreaming so frequently is good. I was like, omg, it wakes me up!!! Plus about 1/3 of the time it is nightmares that keep me from being able to go back to sleep. Heck, I'm afraid to go to the bathroom. He says though that it means that I am reaching REM sleep and hopefully the vivid dreams and nightmares will pass with time. No dice yet.

My reality is also becoming pain, more and more daily. Last night, for the first time, the cramps and pain were so bad I was actually unable to walk. It is barely past noon and I already know today will be worse.

I would also give a lot to be able to sleep. I've done this insomnia thing since I hit puberty. It is a bunch of crap. I've about had it with this nonsense, but I can't find where to unsubscribe. I don't even remember signing up.

love2travel Mentor

Addy,

Do NOT take 5-htp if you take anything that boosts seratonin levels. You will risk seratonin syndrome (been there/done that) and it ain't pretty.

You think you're wired and unable to sleep now? holymacaroni....

The insomnia thing is a   &^%$#! I know. Had it all my life.

It can be tamed. And the pain can be tamped down.

I lived in that hell for so long. But it's better and better as time goes on post-DX.

You just have to find the right combo of exercise, stretching, massage, nutrition for your muscles and a way to get quality sleep.

Don't give up. I'll help anyway I can.

Good point about 5-htp.  See?  I'm so tired my mind is barely functioning today.  :(

Adalaide Mentor

I don't know what my pain issue is. MS? CRPS? Something else? We're trying to find out but have very limited means at the moment. It was moderate with my left leg for a while. Then in January started getting worse and spreading to my left arm and shoulder. It is worse than bad. I've dealt with the fibro thing, this isn't that. Heck, this makes the all over pain with undiagnosed celiac seem like rainbows and sunshine and I would gladly sign up for that again times 2, to ditch this.

Eventually, pain, insomnia, everything aside, I will eventually be so completely exhausted I will simply sleep. That doesn't really help me the other million times I try to sleep though.

Archived