25 replies to this topic

#16 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

No, it doesn't sound stupid.  My husband plays WoW and used to (before our daughter was born) in a very active raiding guild, and raided at least three days a week.  Fortunately (in some ways, but not the socialize-with-the-wife-after-work way), he is on an East Coast server, so it was just an late evening, not middle of the night thing.  I'm not going to say you should stop your game nights, but you might see if there is any wiggle room in the schedule.  I get that it works for the other 9 people, but they may well be able to make some changes (say, same time on Friday but an earlier time on Saturday, or same time on Friday and an earlier time on Sunday, or what have you).  Sure, they might say no, but you don't stand a chance at a yes unless you ask.  You may also want to better set up the space you are gaming in (turn down the brightness/contrast on your monitor or TV, turn down the sounds to a lower level, and especially keep the surrounding lighting in the room dimmer than it would be during the day).

But that's only two nights a week.  It doesn't mean that you should necessarily keep the same schedule for the whole week if it's doing you a disservice.

Having a sleep schedule that is significantly different from daylight hours is going to screw with your natural melatonin production.  (And, as happens in shift workers, can negatively impact your health in many, many other ways besides the ones you have listed.)  That, in turn, messes with a whole range of hormone production.

The fact that you are getting physically exhausted and needing sometimes long naps is a sign that you aren't sufficiently well rested.  And, from my experience with restless leg and fibromyalgia, I cannot state strongly enough how much worse pain conditions are on limited sleep.  (Even at a chemical level in the body, this is the case.)  You may also be finding that you are getting a second wind, during a time that you're otherwise active (say, dinner time?), so the opportune time to go to sleep (before you get that second wind) is early enough that you don't connect it to an appropriate time to go to bed?  I mean, what happens if you try an earlier bed time in conjunction with an earlier wake time?  (One without the other would probably not be successful...)

Also, I'm curious, what happens if you let your sleep be entirely determined by when you are tired (and not any other influences, including obligations)?  Would you get enough sleep to not be tired?  Would you sleep simliar times?  Would you nap?  Do you know?

Our area is pretty limited, but I can certainly do something about the lighting on latest nights. The reason there isn't any earlier wiggle room is because one of the people gets off work and gets home just in time already, it has been previously discussed. The in game place we go to right now is pretty dark, so that is covered too. Unless we get a first time boss kill right at the end of the night which is an indescribable adrenaline rush, I generally go unwind for half an hour then get ready for bed. I'm an officer so I know all the goings on already.

I guess I should have considered just being up a bit later twice a week but the doctor seemed pretty adamant about it being the same time every day. Honestly though, I've never done well with that daylight crap. Plus my husband is also a night owl, so if I go to bed shortly after dark on the days he work I won't even see him. Then again, it gets dark at like 10 in Utah in the summer. ^_^

Before the doctor told me to try this I did sleep whenever I was tired. Period. If I was tired, I went to bed and slept. The only times I ever deviated from that was for raiding, for making my husband dinner on the days he works and for talking to my kiddos once a week. I much prefer that to be honest, but apparently every medical professional in the world thinks it is evil to simply sleep when you are tired. When I do that, some days I'll sleep 10-12 hours at a time which is most normal, but be awake for about 18-20. Then less frequently I'll have a bad day and need to nap throughout a whole day. I would be happy to continue that but am willing to give this whole schedule thing more time to see if it can work.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Having a sleep schedule that is significantly different from daylight hours is going to screw with your natural melatonin production.  (And, as happens in shift workers, can negatively impact your health in many, many other ways besides the ones you have listed.)  That, in turn, messes with a whole range of hormone production.

The fact that you are getting physically exhausted and needing sometimes long naps is a sign that you aren't sufficiently well rested.  And, from my experience with restless leg and fibromyalgia, I cannot state strongly enough how much worse pain conditions are on limited sleep.  (Even at a chemical level in the body, this is the case.)  You may also be finding that you are getting a second wind, during a time that you're otherwise active (say, dinner time?), so the opportune time to go to sleep (before you get that second wind) is early enough that you don't connect it to an appropriate time to go to bed?  I mean, what happens if you try an earlier bed time in conjunction with an earlier wake time?  (One without the other would probably not be successful...)

exactly what I was trying to say. This was my experience. and pain begets less sleep which begets more pain. Vicious cycle.

Thanks for restating it, TB.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 heather806

heather806

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

1/2 a glass of wine does it for me! (I didn't read every post - perhaps you do not drink at all though)

I have this trouble where if I haven't gotten into bed by 10:30 or so I get this 2nd wind and then can't fall asleep tip much later. I only drink maybe once a week, sometimes less, but even a little wine helps my brain and body relax and I can drift off and stay asleep much better.

Probably not an answer a doctor would endorse. :)

#19 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I don't drink at all, but I won't deny that some nights that sounds like a good plan!

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#20 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Having had severe insomnia most of my life, I really feel for you.  It is terrible.  Last night was night 7 with very little sleep and I am nearly running on empty.  Sleep studies?  I couldn't even fall asleep so there was not much to test.  I've done all the stuff I am supposed to do and nothing helps me whatsoever.  I do take Zopiclone once a week when I need to.  But much of my sleeplessness is due to pain.  It is nearly impossible for me to get comfy at night.  My entire body always, ALWAYS feels as though I have been hit by a huge truck.  Repeatedly for good measure.  Pain makes me get up and walk around often.  I would give a lot to be able to sleep.  Sorry - no advice from me but you are not suffering alone, sadly.  :(

Have 5-HTP and Melatonin been mentioned?  I'm so tired my eyes are stuck together and cannot be bothered to read every sentence today.  They have done nothing for me but do work for others.   Worth a try.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#21 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm doing a melatonin, zine and magnesium cocktail for bed now. There was some study in Italy or something, I read about it and decided it can't be entire useless and bought the stupid pills. Never heard of 5-HTP but I guess I can research it.

I saw the doctor on Thursday and he says the fact that I am dreaming so frequently is good. I was like, omg, it wakes me up!!! Plus about 1/3 of the time it is nightmares that keep me from being able to go back to sleep. Heck, I'm afraid to go to the bathroom. He says though that it means that I am reaching REM sleep and hopefully the vivid dreams and nightmares will pass with time. No dice yet.

My reality is also becoming pain, more and more daily. Last night, for the first time, the cramps and pain were so bad I was actually unable to walk. It is barely past noon and I already know today will be worse.

I would also give a lot to be able to sleep. I've done this insomnia thing since I hit puberty. It is a bunch of crap. I've about had it with this nonsense, but I can't find where to unsubscribe. I don't even remember signing up.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Addy,

Do NOT take 5-htp if you take anything that boosts seratonin levels. You will risk seratonin syndrome (been there/done that) and it ain't pretty.

You think you're wired and unable to sleep now? holymacaroni....

The insomnia thing is a   &^%$#! I know. Had it all my life.

It can be tamed. And the pain can be tamped down.

I lived in that hell for so long. But it's better and better as time goes on post-DX.

You just have to find the right combo of exercise, stretching, massage, nutrition for your muscles and a way to get quality sleep.

Don't give up. I'll help anyway I can.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

I've been busy with other stuff lately (i.e. my gorgeous rescue dog!!) and have not read many posts here lately.  Why the heck are you having pain and cramps?  Neuropathy, joint, muscular?  I did not realize that was happening to you.  Chronic pain is my reality, too, and very difficult to deal with.  That coupled with insomnia can be next to impossible to handle at times.  We are leaving for Croatia in less than three weeks and I am deliriously happy EXCEPT for the pain part.  I need miracles to be able to handle the long flights, layovers, etc.  It really is crippling.

If you find out where to unsubscribe, PM me.  I want OUT of this subscription! 

So very sorry you are experiencing pain.

I'm doing a melatonin, zine and magnesium cocktail for bed now. There was some study in Italy or something, I read about it and decided it can't be entire useless and bought the stupid pills. Never heard of 5-HTP but I guess I can research it.

I saw the doctor on Thursday and he says the fact that I am dreaming so frequently is good. I was like, omg, it wakes me up!!! Plus about 1/3 of the time it is nightmares that keep me from being able to go back to sleep. Heck, I'm afraid to go to the bathroom. He says though that it means that I am reaching REM sleep and hopefully the vivid dreams and nightmares will pass with time. No dice yet.

My reality is also becoming pain, more and more daily. Last night, for the first time, the cramps and pain were so bad I was actually unable to walk. It is barely past noon and I already know today will be worse.

I would also give a lot to be able to sleep. I've done this insomnia thing since I hit puberty. It is a bunch of crap. I've about had it with this nonsense, but I can't find where to unsubscribe. I don't even remember signing up.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#24 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Addy,

Do NOT take 5-htp if you take anything that boosts seratonin levels. You will risk seratonin syndrome (been there/done that) and it ain't pretty.

You think you're wired and unable to sleep now? holymacaroni....

The insomnia thing is a   &^%$#! I know. Had it all my life.

It can be tamed. And the pain can be tamped down.

I lived in that hell for so long. But it's better and better as time goes on post-DX.

You just have to find the right combo of exercise, stretching, massage, nutrition for your muscles and a way to get quality sleep.

Don't give up. I'll help anyway I can.

Good point about 5-htp.  See?  I'm so tired my mind is barely functioning today.  :(

#25 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I don't know what my pain issue is. MS? CRPS? Something else? We're trying to find out but have very limited means at the moment. It was moderate with my left leg for a while. Then in January started getting worse and spreading to my left arm and shoulder. It is worse than bad. I've dealt with the fibro thing, this isn't that. Heck, this makes the all over pain with undiagnosed celiac seem like rainbows and sunshine and I would gladly sign up for that again times 2, to ditch this.

Eventually, pain, insomnia, everything aside, I will eventually be so completely exhausted I will simply sleep. That doesn't really help me the other million times I try to sleep though.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#26 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Oh, that is so awful.  And you are far too young for this, too!  You know your pain is bad when you cannot even become immersed in a book by your favourite author.  Sometimes all I can do is lie there and wait.  Too painful to think or do anything.  So sad you are going through this.  I so used to take health for granted until this mess happened to me five years ago. 

It may sound weird, but the past five years (I have had a lot of time to think!) has caused me to take inventory of my life and really put things into perspective and become self aware.  My character has changed and I see things so differently now.  I have always been compassionate and empathetic but now even more so.  Helping others cope and manage pain seems to be something I have grown good at.  Going through difficult times (we all have 'em) really brings out the best (or worst) in us.  The first three years were extra tough.  The last two, though I have suffered every single day, have been better because I choose for my days to be better.  My outlook is generally positive.  Some days I can hardly walk and/or move.  Those days I am thankful I have a comfortable house and a bed on which to lie.  The days I do walk (I try to go on daily walks - length varies) I am thankful that I have legs with which to walk. 

My dearest friend was diagnosed with a horrific cancer last week.  Her prognosis is very grim.  Though I have severe pain, I have life. 

Addy, I truly hope that you have a very deep and sound sleep tonight.  Sleep makes all the difference in the world to me.  My pain is somewhat lessened and my outlook cheerier when I sleep.  So, here's hoping we both wake up refreshed and restored tomorrow!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: