11 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have had several good day where I have felt pretty good lately.  I went out hiking and felt strong and good. Then something happened.  I didn't add anything new to eat.  I've been doing the same thing that I always do as far as food is concerned.  I got D and mucus out of nowhere.  Sometimes I feel like since celiac is an autoimmune disease, sometimes I just feel like I get a flare up out of no where.  I am pretty certain that I haven't had any gluten.  Does this happen to anyone else..good days followed by a few not so good ones out of the blue?

I know that with other autoimmune diseases, they can flare up at any given time from stress or whatever.

Thanks 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Have you considered that you might have picked up a stomach bug somewhere?

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

I don't think it's a bug b/c this happens too often for it to be one.

#4 lynnieloo

lynnieloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I am right there with you, yesterday and today . . . my gut and my low back are hurting so badly I just want to die.  The two things I ingested that i'm now questioning are a bowl of chili I thawed and ate on Saturday night (which I made (checking all ingredients for gluten-free), ate a bowl without incident, and froze) and some Gas-x taken yesterday around lunch.  I definitely think I've been glutened - this is the first time since I was Dx'd and started gluten-free diet.  This is as bad or worse than when I was not eating gluten-free!  What do you do when you hurt this bad to get some relief???

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

All that you can really do it wait it out, drink water and hot mint tea.  The mint tea helps to get the gas out.  I feel the exact same way that you do.  I have been eating Hershey's kisses and I think I may have eaten too many and it's the lactose bothering me.  Who knows, with celiac sometimes you have no idea.  Hope you feel better.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Last I heard the Gas-X chewable tablets were not gluten free; the gelcaps are.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 nan42

nan42

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

I can definitly relate to what your talking about and it is very frustrating. It happened to me this morning. I had a cup of coffee like i always do with nothing different in it and within 30 min. i was all bloated with an aching in my stomach. I wish this was easier to deal with.

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Flares happen to me.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

It took me at least 9 months to have any sort of predictable bathroom themes. And another six to notice it stopped at 9. And another 6 to not panic when things would change from time to time.

I'm not saying to discount what you notice at all - but it did take me a while. And if you get sick at any point in there ...things can just get weird. Sometimes you'll recover quickly, next time it will take forever.

It's frustrating.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks everyone.  It's good to know that I am not the only one that experiences these out of the blue flares.  I can be feeling really good with no stomach issues and then a few days later while eating the same things, I get digestive issues.  I guess it comes with the territory of having a bowel disease.  

Prickly, that is great advice.  I really need to quit paying attention and just get what I get.  You are also right in that it is frustrating b/c just when you think you have your celiac all under control, something happens and it's hard not to get caught up in it.

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

I think that it can come from a lot of things.  A bug which you mistake for gluten, someone leaving a crumb somewhere for you to pick up accidentally, going through the flour isle at the store right after a spill has been cleaned up so that you can't tell that there is still flour in the air, and inconsistent contamination.  Sometimes I have a food that I can eat much of the time, but some boxes of it will get me.  Last time I bought 4 boxes of buckwheat and sorted through them, I found a wheat berry in 3 of the 4 boxes.  I could have eaten it for breakfast sometimes and been fine, and then when I got the batch with the wheat berry, I would have gotten sick and would not have know why.  That's why I buy my grains whole and sort them.

I hope you feel better soon.

#12 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

Feel Better!  I say this a lot, but I learn more all the time.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: