Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sailing Along Then....wham!

12 posts in this topic

I have had several good day where I have felt pretty good lately.  I went out hiking and felt strong and good. Then something happened.  I didn't add anything new to eat.  I've been doing the same thing that I always do as far as food is concerned.  I got D and mucus out of nowhere.  Sometimes I feel like since celiac is an autoimmune disease, sometimes I just feel like I get a flare up out of no where.  I am pretty certain that I haven't had any gluten.  Does this happen to anyone else..good days followed by a few not so good ones out of the blue?

I know that with other autoimmune diseases, they can flare up at any given time from stress or whatever.

Thanks 

Ads by Google:

Have you considered that you might have picked up a stomach bug somewhere?

I don't think it's a bug b/c this happens too often for it to be one.

I am right there with you, yesterday and today . . . my gut and my low back are hurting so badly I just want to die.  The two things I ingested that i'm now questioning are a bowl of chili I thawed and ate on Saturday night (which I made (checking all ingredients for gluten-free), ate a bowl without incident, and froze) and some Gas-x taken yesterday around lunch.  I definitely think I've been glutened - this is the first time since I was Dx'd and started gluten-free diet.  This is as bad or worse than when I was not eating gluten-free!  What do you do when you hurt this bad to get some relief???

All that you can really do it wait it out, drink water and hot mint tea.  The mint tea helps to get the gas out.  I feel the exact same way that you do.  I have been eating Hershey's kisses and I think I may have eaten too many and it's the lactose bothering me.  Who knows, with celiac sometimes you have no idea.  Hope you feel better.

Last I heard the Gas-X chewable tablets were not gluten free; the gelcaps are.

I can definitly relate to what your talking about and it is very frustrating. It happened to me this morning. I had a cup of coffee like i always do with nothing different in it and within 30 min. i was all bloated with an aching in my stomach. I wish this was easier to deal with.

Flares happen to me.

It took me at least 9 months to have any sort of predictable bathroom themes. And another six to notice it stopped at 9. And another 6 to not panic when things would change from time to time.

I'm not saying to discount what you notice at all - but it did take me a while. And if you get sick at any point in there ...things can just get weird. Sometimes you'll recover quickly, next time it will take forever.

It's frustrating.

Thanks everyone.  It's good to know that I am not the only one that experiences these out of the blue flares.  I can be feeling really good with no stomach issues and then a few days later while eating the same things, I get digestive issues.  I guess it comes with the territory of having a bowel disease.  

Prickly, that is great advice.  I really need to quit paying attention and just get what I get.  You are also right in that it is frustrating b/c just when you think you have your celiac all under control, something happens and it's hard not to get caught up in it.

I think that it can come from a lot of things.  A bug which you mistake for gluten, someone leaving a crumb somewhere for you to pick up accidentally, going through the flour isle at the store right after a spill has been cleaned up so that you can't tell that there is still flour in the air, and inconsistent contamination.  Sometimes I have a food that I can eat much of the time, but some boxes of it will get me.  Last time I bought 4 boxes of buckwheat and sorted through them, I found a wheat berry in 3 of the 4 boxes.  I could have eaten it for breakfast sometimes and been fine, and then when I got the batch with the wheat berry, I would have gotten sick and would not have know why.  That's why I buy my grains whole and sort them.

I hope you feel better soon.

Feel Better!  I say this a lot, but I learn more all the time.